• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV A2 Review (Stereo Amplifier & DAC)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. It is nice to see such power and SINAD from a chip amp. However, the price seems too high. At least this won't discourage Topping from doing something similar, but better. I agree with comments that DAC like this doesn't really fit the product. Loxjie A30 still nails the category. Too bad they didn't just make something like A30 with this power and SINAD for $300-500.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Would it be possible to add CD testing to DAC reviews since many of the new DAC chipsets don't work with CD players?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
for 1000$ it seems absolutely irrevelevant to me, there is better alternatives

What alternatives would you suggest with this kind of performance and a built in DAC?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210630-213715_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210630-213715_Google.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 396

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting findings, it's in a funny place in the chain though. Doesn't have the streaming capabilities or else would be a direct competition to Power Node (2021). Of course the BluOS implementation would be light years ahead I suppose. Overall pricey as others pointed out.

Njoy

Thanks for the review.I am confused,does it have a DAC or the PCM signal been converted to PWM signals,then fed into class D amplifier.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That appears to be a non-US version (220V).
its being sold here in Nashville by Electronic Express. I know the owners-not sure how they're getting a unit this old for sale new...how can you tell it's a non US version?

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I guess the analog input is being fed to a separate (inferior) ADC circuit, then class-d chip used might be a digital input type and has a built-in DAC, so the digital input measures better.

I'm doubting the input frequency independence in power vs distortion graph. 5W at 4 ohms is at 56dB SINAD. Maybe it requires slower interval measurements.

Low distortion up to 50W is impressive!

trashken

Forum Donor
I got this from China for USD 700. Was planning to use it for my record player but guess I should use it on my desktop set up instead.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would it be possible to add CD testing to DAC reviews since many of the new DAC chipsets don't work with CD players?
You say that so generically. :) You mean test with any random CD player? Or some with certain characteristic? I can test for level, jitter or both but need to know the nature of the problem.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm doubting the input frequency independence in power vs distortion graph. 5W at 4 ohms is at 56dB SINAD. Maybe it requires slower interval measurements.
That measurement uses wider bandwidth than the dashboard so it can capture harmonics of 20 kHz. So SINAD is naturally lower there especially for this chip amp as it has lots of ultrasonic noise just outside of the audible band.

Njoy

Just got it from their site.Looks like no DAC.

Attachments

• 202106151348022776.jpg
    202106151348022776.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 607
  • 202106151347579457.jpg
    202106151347579457.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 566

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
That measurement uses wider bandwidth than the dashboard so it can capture harmonics of 20 kHz. So SINAD is naturally lower there especially for this chip amp as it has lots of ultrasonic noise just outside of the audible band.
Got it, the point of 45kHz bandwidth is to show frequency independence even with 20kHz input signal.

gvl

Major Contributor
Is the box tall enough to fit an NCore module so it can be repurpused after the amp dies? Good thing there's enough room in the back for the second XLR input.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmmm. The SMSL web site has exactly the same digram depicting the feedback loop as we saw for the SA400. That is the AX5689 PWM controller. Indeed it is hard to imagine that this amp is anything but an SA400 power amp stage with digital inputs. Amir measured exactly the same power ouput curves for both, but the SINAD is better here. Again, the ST part is the output driver only, and not the full class D amp. All digital processing and PWM control, just like the SA400, is done in the AX5689.

This amp adds a separate ADC for analog input, whereas the suspicion is that the SA400 uses spare ADCs from the AX5689 and implements its tone controls and volume control in the analog domain.

What becomes interesting is the improved performance we see. The SA400 is an odd device, it spends a lot of time messing about with some ideal of analog processing purity, and then throws it away at the last moment. Here we see the same basics, but with a digital chain that works well, and an analog chain that despite use of a discrete TI ADC, (PCM1804 with OPA1608 buffers are claimed) mucks it up. Something has gone wrong with the analog here, it should not measure so badly.

So, another almost there product. But it steps up one notch past the SA400 with its use of the AX5689 PWM controller, and starts to knock on nCores's door. Not quite there yet however.

The basic configuration almost gets there. Add proper DSP EQ (including subwoofer control) and fix the analog input and it would be a near perfect package for many users. Price needs work, but it isn't terrible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom