• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Find my sub!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm busy changing my setup a bit. The idea is to hide most of the nasty stuff. So mostly get rid of the cables and equipment and make it look clean. The idea was to use an Ikea BESTÅ enclosure and TV mount, hang it on the wall and hide everything inside. The middle section is used to house a small-ish subwoofer.

The sub is a Wavecor 10" SW263WA03 that I had still around. I decided to put it in a reflex enclosure, tuned low-ish at around the high 20 number. This should give good power-handling and quite a bit of output capability. The woofer and port are pointing downwards and are therefore hidden from sight.

Sub is build from plywood and has flares on inside and outside on the slotport. The slot is a bit small, but I don't need earshattering levels.
1624872824658.png

The simulation looks like this:
1624873171115.png

And from 40 Hz on it get's quite loud, > 115 dB at 1m. Notice the peak at 130 Hz. That is mostly due to the flares but does not show up in the real measurements. So so far, so good.

So last week I finally had time to put it all together:
1624873791229.png

So I simply made a hole in the bottom of the BESTÅ for the woofer and port and screwed it in the sub box. There is still a bit of room in the middle compartment that I needed to attach the door again.

The sub is powered by a B&O 50ASX2-BLT, delivering roughly 170W. The R500's are powered by a 50ASX2 as well (2x 47W). Plenty for now. I also have a UcD400 amp, but it doesn't fit in the BESTÅ :rolleyes:. But for now, the B&O amps are fine. Filtering is done using MiniDSP 4x10HD. The source is a HifiBerry + DSP, either via streaming, or optical from TV (AppleTV 4K). Result:

1624875166851.png

I did a very quick and dirty X-over and EQ-ing at about 80 Hz and managed to get a fairly flat response at the listing position (didn't save the result). For this I first EQ's the sub nearfield, and then did the integration with the KEFs. Finally did the EQ at the listening position. At first glance, it sounds really nice. It definitely adds some needed body to the R500's. At some frequencies, there is some rattle of the doors, which I need to still fix.

Next steps:
- do better measurements and EQ. I can also use the HifiBerry DAC+ to do some FIR filtering which I would like to try
- Treat side reflection since my room is not symmetrical
- Treat wall behind speakers. The idea here is to add damping to the whole wall up to the level on the top side of the TV.
- Treat back wall
- Add a second sub. I still have two 15" woofers left that could make for a very nice back wall sub. I have amps enough and also covered the room with CAT7 outlets so that I can route signals to where they need to be.
- Possibly go back to surround again.

Also, I'd like to replace the R500's with something smaller. Not sure what yet. Possible a pair of second hand Genelec 8050's or some DIY speaker, probably a Synergy horn type of thing (not too big, however).

xarkkon

Very cool stuff! Any close up photo angles of the final product and how it all looks on the inside? :)

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very cool stuff! Any close up photo angles of the final product and how it all looks on the inside? :)

Well, this is the bottom side. Didn’t make pictures of the finished naked sub… it’s just a box ;). I do have a rough drawing however, but that needs a bit of cleanup.

FE3FBF8A-3F25-4629-B024-1164C84E8CB8.jpeg

Notice that I reused parts of the cutout to fill up the space between the layers. It’s mostly cardboard, so would otherwise not really make for a decently flat surface.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is incredible! I wish I had the skills and the work space to do something similar as my living room has several similarily sized cabinets.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How big is your room?

it's roughly this:
1624949669314.png

Ceiling is at 3m. Speakers are against the top wall, right side, next to the fireplace in the middle. All plastered brick walls, tiled floor and wood + plaster ceiling. So it's quite an echo chamber ;)

Would you spare your measurements please ?

I would If I had some decent onces ;) I realy only had time for a quick and crude dial in. I'll need to revisit coming weeks. I'll try to post something then. Hopefully I also already have some accoustic panneling up by then as well.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you.
So your speakers are in the upper right side wall (3,11m) ?

Top Bottom