• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear vs. Sennheiser HD 800s

Luke Lemke

Hey guys. I own the Focal Clear and Focal Clear MG, which I love. I've never tried the Sennheiser HD 800s. I've heard the 800's have a "wide" sound stage and are not "intimate". I've also been told they have almost no bass. Every description I hear about this headphone is an indication I'll not like it. Still, this is one of the most respected headphones out there. My question is: Should I buy it? Will it bring a music experience that is significantly different from my clears?

jaraheel

if you end up buying the HD 800 S, kindly let us know how do they compare to the Focal's in your opinion. I am considering going the other way :)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HD800's basically require EQ. Their suboptimal frequency response is a side effect of the cup design which gives them incredible soundstage.

If you can't easily apply EQ to all your sources then you are probably better off sticking with the Clears.

If you can use EQ then I wouldn't hesitate to go with an HD800(S).

Zensō

Major Contributor
I agree, the 800 desperately needs EQ. It’s pretty amazing with EQ though, and for many it’s the most comfortable headphone on the market. For me personally (most will disagree), the expansive soundstage eventually started feeling like a gimmick and I went back to the 600 series as my daily drivers.

OP
Luke Lemke

Luke Lemke

Is soundstage the only strength of the HD800s? I don't care that much about soundstage, so I probably shouldn't get the 800's...

Zensō

Major Contributor
Is soundstage the only strength of the HD800s? I don't care that much about soundstage, so I probably shouldn't get the 800's...
This is all very personal, but if soundstage is not a big deal to you, I doubt the 800S is going to feel like a step up from your Focals. It’s also arguably more comfortable than the Focals, but if you’re not having comfort issues with your current headphones, it may not be worth the fairly steep price of admission.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To me the strengths of HD800(S) with EQ are:
Very comfortable (to me).
Effortless sound with sharply contoured stereo image.
Very realistic and slightly 'laid-back' sound (when you do not EQ the dip)
Reacts well to proper EQ. The emphasis on ' proper'. Use the wrong EQ and it sounds wrong.

downsides:
Not everyone feels the same about comfort.
Needs EQ (bass extension and some treble peak)
Expensive.
Pads and headband padding require regular replacement
Big pads do not fit everyone.
The stock cable is terrible, aftermarket pads VERY expensive.

OP
Luke Lemke

Luke Lemke

This is all very personal, but if soundstage is not a big deal to you, I doubt the 800S is going to feel like a step up from your Focals. It’s also arguably more comfortable than the Focals, but if you’re not having comfort issues with your current headphones, it may not be worth the fairly steep price of admission.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I guess I'm looking for something different than the clears, not really a step up. The law of diminishing returns really kicks in after you hear something like the Hifiman Sundara, Anything more expensive than that feels more like a side step, even compared to my focal clears. Anyway, If I find a good deal on a used HD800s I guess will give them a try...

OP
Luke Lemke

Luke Lemke

To me the strengths of HD800(S) with EQ are:
Very comfortable (to me).
Effortless sound with sharply contoured stereo image.
Very realistic and slightly 'laid-back' sound (when you do not EQ the dip)
Reacts well to proper EQ. The emphasis on ' proper'. Use the wrong EQ and it sounds wrong.

downsides:
Not everyone feels the same about comfort.
Needs EQ (bass extension and some treble peak)
Expensive.
Pads and headband padding require regular replacement
Big pads do not fit everyone.
The stock cable is terrible, aftermarket pads VERY expensive.
Thanks a lot. At least the headband pads are replaceable, this is good news. Can you please describe a little more what you mean by "laid-back"? Do you mean "less emphasis on the mid range"? Or do you mean the soundstage is "distant" and "wide"? Sometimes I get confused about what Laid-back means when it comes to headphones.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I guess I'm looking for something different than the clears, not really a step up. The law of diminishing returns really kicks in after you hear something like the Hifiman Sundara, Anything more expensive than that feels more like a side step, even compared to my focal clears. Anyway, If I find a good deal on a used HD800s I guess will give them a try...
Yeah, if you get a good deal you most likely won’t lose anything if you resell. I’ve done this twice now with the 800S… lol. There’s a lot to like, but also some tradeoffs as solderdude outlined above.

Without getting into too much audiophile lingo, I think you may find that the Focals have more “slam” or “punch” than the 800S. If you like this about the Focals, you may find this characteristic lacking in the 800S.

OP
Luke Lemke

Luke Lemke

Yeah, if you get a good deal you most likely won’t lose anything if you resell. I’ve done this twice now with the 800S… lol. There’s a lot to like, but also some tradeoffs as solderdude outlined above.

Without getting into too much audiophile lingo, I think you may find that the Focals have more “slam” or “punch” than the 800S. If you like this about the Focals, you may find this characteristic lacking in the 800S.
LOL, buying and selling headphones, story of my life. I've bought and sold the HD6XX a couple of times, it's like a love and hate relationship. I do like the "Slam" and "Punch" of the clears, it's really good for the kind of music I listen to the most (metal, prog, etc.). I also like bluegrass and classical music, so I guess the HD800s would give me a different experience with these genres.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
. Can you please describe a little more what you mean by "laid-back"? Do you mean "less emphasis on the mid range"? Or do you mean the soundstage is "distant" and "wide"? Sometimes I get confused about what Laid-back means when it comes to headphones.

laid-back to me is like not listening from the front seat of a concert but a few rows more towards the back.
Some pop recordings and classic rock often have too much upper mids (around 3kHz) making it sound too ' clear'.
The 3-4kHz dip is a bit akin to the BBC dip and takes the 'edge' of the sound.
To me HD800(S) does this exactly right so I would recommend not to EQ that part. It gives the sound a pleasant and relaxed 'character'.

OP
Luke Lemke

Luke Lemke

laid-back to me is like not listening from the front seat of a concert but a few rows more towards the back.
Some pop recordings and classic rock often have too much upper mids (around 3kHz) making it sound too ' clear'.
To me HD800(S) does this exactly right so I would recommend not to EQ that part. It gives the sound a pleasant and relaxed 'character'.
Thanks for the clarification. Question: What is your favorite headphone under $2000?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD800 (with EQ)
Clear would be another choice. Don' t own one because I would buy one 2nd hand and warranty as well as spare parts are a nightmare.

OP
Luke Lemke

Luke Lemke

HD800 (with EQ)
Clear would be another choice. Don' t own one because I would buy one 2nd hand and warranty as well as spare parts are a nightmare.
OK, I really should try the HD800s then. The clears are now on sale for $990 at headphones.com, I think it's a really goo deal. I agree spare parts are a nightmare, specially considering they charge $200 for pads...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD800 pads are also € 72.- (pair), the headband = € 30.- but easier to get

Zensō

Major Contributor
It’s the “6 rows back” character of the 800S that led me to sell them twice. Great headphones, but I finally figured out I’d rather be sitting in the front row. :)

OP
Luke Lemke

Luke Lemke

It’s the “6 rows back” character of the 800S that led be to sell them twice. Great headphones, but I finally figured out I’d rather be sitting in the front row. :)
Same here, I like seating on the front row. That being said, we headphone hoarders, like to have many options to chose from... LOL

Top Bottom