• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

sthaus

I'm definitely keeping mine. Have not found another DAC that does what the X16 can do for under $500. I'm sure a fix for DSD will be forthcoming, and if not, I only have a few dozen DSD albums. I'm content to convert to PCM if necessary to enjoy them.
Agreed, it's worth for the value .. I don't think any DAC does the same job with the price tag like that ... Unfortunately, I decided to return the X16 DAC and placed an order for Topping D90Se. Spending for double price and I am not sure I will regret the decision later or not .. will see

I don't know why my music hearing on Groove Window to the DAC its always better than other software like Foobar2k or Roon but Groove cant play DSD unfortunately .

Last edited:

misureaudio

They are responting very fast. I hope they would find solution.
I can confirm that Gustard took the problem in a very solicit and serious way. I received a detailed manual containing all the instructions needed to disassemble the X16 and reprogram the firmware. Unfortunately the fix requires a programmer in order to be done. I contacted the distributor Aoshida explaining the situation, and it looks like they are very interested in giving adequate solution. For the rest, the X16 is to my ears exceptionally well sounding and absolutely recommendable. Having the DSD fixed would be great.

k525

I can confirm that Gustard took the problem in a very solicit and serious way. I received a detailed manual containing all the instructions needed to disassemble the X16 and reprogram the firmware. Unfortunately the fix requires a programmer in order to be done. I contacted the distributor Aoshida explaining the situation, and it looks like they are very interested in giving adequate solution. For the rest, the X16 is to my ears exceptionally well sounding and absolutely recommendable. Having the DSD fixed would be great.

Hi could you give us more info regarding this procedure?
Which type of programmer do you need?
Could you share the manual?

misureaudio

Hi could you give us more info regarding this procedure?
Which type of programmer do you need?
Could you share the manual?
I have just written back to Gustard. They should authorize in advance to publish the content. Unfortunately I received it in a private mail form: there is no explicit permission to disclose it. Some technical aspect could be more delicate than in other cases: one has to disassemble the unit and an EPROM programmer is required, with an adapter. One can't do it via USB. There is potential for damage by the user if something goes wrong. Gustard asks explicitly in their mail if one is sure to adopt the whole procedure without doubts or uncertainties. However I sent a detailed report to the distributor, too. May be other units could be traced and updated before they are sold. For the existing units, the procedure is that sent by Gustard.

Last edited:

vco1

I received a detailed manual containing all the instructions needed to disassemble the X16 and reprogram the firmware. Unfortunately the fix requires a programmer in order to be done.
That's basically a no-go for this device for now. A pity.

Could it be that quality has its price?

misureaudio

That's basically a no-go for this device for now. A pity.

Could it be that quality has its price?
Mmm... I don't want to give details but in the realm of 20x priced DACs wrt those recommended here, there are many requiring sending them back to the factory, with consequently poison-exhalating bills.

In the specific case, it has just been a mistake selling some pre series units.

It can happen and the X16 quality is, for the other aspects, really excellent.

vco1

In the specific case, it has just been a mistake selling some pre series units.

Are you saying this is only with a limited number of units? If so, it would be nice of Gustard could somehow identify them. By providing serial numbers e.g. Or do a recall action for the faulty units.

As for the quality of the X16, I assume you mean the specs. On other aspects some corners have been cut. As with most 'inexpensive' devices reviewed on ASR. As an example, those plastic dials don't really scream quality to me. And altogether, it's still a $500/€500 device. Compare that to the build quality and functionality you get with a $400 Denon receiver (just as an example) and all of a sudden these DAC's don't look like such a good deal anymore, IMHO.

misureaudio

Are you saying this is only with a limited number of units? If so, it would be nice of Gustard could somehow identify them. By providing serial numbers e.g. Or do a recall action for the faulty units.

As for the quality of the X16, I assume you mean the specs. On other aspects some corners have been cut. As with most 'inexpensive' devices reviewed on ASR. As an example, those plastic dials don't really scream quality to me. And altogether, it's still a $500/€500 device. Compare that to the build quality and functionality you get with a $400 Denon receiver (just as an example) and all of a sudden these DAC's don't look like such a good deal anymore, IMHO.
I can't comment further on the situation, which is obviously under evaluation by Gustard.

As we go to quality, I have absolutely no complaints about how it's built. I concentrate more on the experience with it. Having tested it in various monitor systems, involving Avalon Mixing Monitor, Kharma CRM3.2 and a list of typical BBC loudspeakers, all amplified by Spectral, the X16 was able to recreate very transparent and very wide images. Detail was retrieved clearly even in the most intricate orchestral passages. I liked it very much. Consider that the listening was carried side to side with a Bricasti M3 and a Bricasti M1SE as reference. All the good delivered with loudspeakers was entirely confirmed with the headphones (HiFiman, Audeze, Focal Sennheiser involved).

vco1

I can't comment further on the situation, which is obviously under evaluation by Gustard.

As we go to quality, I have absolutely no complaints about how it's built. I concentrate more on the experience with it. Having tested it in various monitor systems, involving Avalon Mixing Monitor, Kharma CRM3.2 and a list of typical BBC loudspeakers, all amplified by Spectral, the X16 was able to recreate very transparent and very wide images. Detail was retrieved clearly even in the most intricate orchestral passages. I liked it very much. Consider that the listening was carried side to side with a Bricasti M3 and a Bricasti M1SE as reference. All the good delivered with loudspeakers was entirely confirmed with the headphones (HiFiman, Audeze, Focal Sennheiser involved).

Sounds good (pun intended).

kopczas

I can confirm that Gustard took the problem in a very solicit and serious way.

Ok, good news. It might be easy to do. It`s a pity that disassembling is necessary, but hey there are only few screws. eeprom programer is few $ so I guess I will try as soon as solution would be published.

kopczas

I`ve just received instructions from Gustard. I need to confirm that I would do it myself. I guess that on next step Gustard would send me update file.
Instructions are very clear so I`ll do it as soon as I get programmer. (which costs 7$ in my country).

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just received my instructions as well. However, I've not found a link to the STC_UPDATA_V2.0.hex firmware file yet.

The process is similar to what I had to do for my Khadas Tone2 Pro DAC (described here). It looks more complicated than it really is. When you get the ST-LINK programmer STC USB-TTL auto programmer, you'll also need four pins. Here are the parts I ended up buying for the Tone2 Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EE4WAC8/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M3QLL3Q/

I didn't think I'd ever need these again, so I sent them on to another Tone2 Pro user. Looks like I'll be buying another set for my X16. All part of the fun of this hobby, I suppose. :)

Edit: It turns out that a different MCU programming tool is required for Gustard. The ST-LINK programmer that I used for the Tone2 Pro is only suitable for a STMicroelectronics MCU, and the X16 uses an STC brand MCU. Suitable programmers for the X16 look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 8.12.07 AM.png

The firmware file and tools can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/hgxdemhkg2k1x41/STC+UPDATA+4+X16.zip/file
Contents of this zip file look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 8.25.32 AM.png

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Just received my instructions as well. However, I've not found a link to the STC_UPDATA_V2.0.hex firmware file yet.

The process is similar to what I had to do for my Khadas Tone2 Pro DAC (described here). It looks more complicated than it really is. When you get the ST-LINK programmer STC USB-TTL auto programmer, you'll also need four pins. Here are the parts I ended up buying for the Tone2 Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EE4WAC8/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M3QLL3Q/

I didn't think I'd ever need these again, so I sent them on to another Tone2 Pro user. Looks like I'll be buying another set for my X16. All part of the fun of this hobby, I suppose. :)

Edit: It turns out that a different MCU programming tool is required for Gustard. The ST-LINK programmer that I used for the Tone2 Pro is only suitable for a STMicroelectronics MCU, and the X16 uses an STC brand MCU. Suitable programmers for the X16 look like this:

View attachment 137346

The firmware file and tools can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/hgxdemhkg2k1x41/STC+UPDATA+4+X16.zip/file
Contents of this zip file look like this:

View attachment 137348
Let us know how the update goes,thanks for the file links.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've combined the instructions, firmware files, and software into a single file and uploaded it here:

Gustard_X16_MCU_Update.zip

If you want to validate, here are the md5 checksums for these files:
Code:
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/files for upgrade/stc_updata_v2.0.hex) = 6cf0874d8a9047f77cb5b42b85be20dc
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/upgrade instructions/STC UPDATA Tutorials.pdf) = d2b1076e8044e33f20445511269e2cf8
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/upgrade instructions/X16 disassembly tutorial.pdf) = 1fd6d918604f327a6661b2b980c1ab6d
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/upgrade program/stc-isp-15xx-v6.86o/stc-isp-15xx-v6.86o.exe) = 71b166a279867ba73287fb2f7c2aa681
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/usb driver/usb to uart driver/ch341ser.exe) = 1461e4f00d1f457b1eacf214fd5a2ef2

If you purchased your X16 from Apos, Gustard is sending a number of the required STC programmer tools to them for use by customers. It may take a few weeks for them to arrive.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I've combined the instructions, firmware files, and software into a single file and uploaded it here:

Gustard_X16_MCU_Update.zip

If you want to validate, here are the md5 checksums for these files:
Code:
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/files for upgrade/stc_updata_v2.0.hex) = 6cf0874d8a9047f77cb5b42b85be20dc
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/upgrade instructions/STC UPDATA Tutorials.pdf) = d2b1076e8044e33f20445511269e2cf8
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/upgrade instructions/X16 disassembly tutorial.pdf) = 1fd6d918604f327a6661b2b980c1ab6d
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/upgrade program/stc-isp-15xx-v6.86o/stc-isp-15xx-v6.86o.exe) = 71b166a279867ba73287fb2f7c2aa681
MD5 (stc updata 4 x16/usb driver/usb to uart driver/ch341ser.exe) = 1461e4f00d1f457b1eacf214fd5a2ef2

If you purchased your X16 from Apos, Gustard is sending a number of the required STC programmer tools to them for use by customers. It may take a few weeks for them to arrive.
Do I have to contact Apos or do I just need to wait for them to send me the STC tools

Top Bottom