• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the marantz 7705 terrible?

Jon.kin96

So I have the chance to buy a marantz 7705 preprocessor for $1300 to upgrade from my current denon 3400 which is showing it’s age a bit. I know that Amir said that the 7705 is all but absolute garbage, but in real world use, is it? I’ll have it running a 7.2.4 system in a 15X13X8 room. I have 2 outlaw 5000x’s(input sensitivity 1.2v) for surround and atmos, and 3 outlaw 2200 monoblocks(input sensitivity 1.7v) for the front stage. All of these amps will be fed via GLS(unless there’s another xlr similar in price that you guys recommend which is better) XLR cables.

My main concern is distortion which seemed to be Amir’s biggest complaint. I don’t mind the high end roll off because I usually EQ a roll off above about 1500hz anyway; that’s just the sound that I like. I do love the laid back tonal quality of my denon and expect a very similar sound from the marantz. But if there are better processors out there, I’m open to suggestions. I’ve seen the tone master but I honestly just wouldn’t be happy with the GUI on that thing, as impressive as the unit is in terms of performance. Also, usage would be about 70% movies at right around reference level and 30% music listened about 10-20db below that. I really don’t care about any of the room correction stuff because I hate the EQ that they put on it with a passion and it seems as though the actual room correction portion is disabled when you disable audyssey EQ in denon and marantz; so it’s pointless for me to even use at all.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well Amir tested it at 4 volts which it will put out just fine, but with mediocre distortion results. Marantz specs it for 2.4 volts. It meets all the claimed specs. The distortion is in the low -90 db range at 2.4 volts in Amir's testing. So if you don't need the output to go above 2.4 volts it isn't bad at all. Of course it is likely better results at 4 volts from other gear would also improve at only 2.4 volts. But if you don't need the high output level then it performs pretty well for your purposes. I have the 7701 which I think has the same basic performance. Marantz hasn't changed their basic dacs or other circuitry for quite some time until a few very recent offerings. In my case my amps are at the max rated power for my speakers and need 2 volts for max output so 2.4 volts is plenty.

As for XLR's you might look at Worlds Best Cables. You can get them directly or from Amazon. They offer Amphenol and Neutrik connectors and you can get Canare or Mogami wire. They cost a little more than GLS, but aren't some ridiculous snake oil laced cable. Here is one example.
Neutrik connectors, Canare quad balanced wiring in 12 ft length for $26.

https://www.amazon.com/12-Foot-Balanced-Microphone-NC3MXX-B/dp/B08WLR5RCD/ref=sr_1_32?crid=2245O67WEI4I5&dchild=1&keywords=xlr+worlds+best+cables&qid=1624490851&sprefix=xlr+worlds,aps,170&sr=8-32

OP
J

Jon.kin96

Well Amir tested it at 4 volts which it will put out just fine, but with mediocre distortion results. Marantz specs it for 2.4 volts. It meets all the claimed specs. The distortion is in the low -90 db range at 2.4 volts in Amir's testing. So if you don't need the output to go above 2.4 volts it isn't bad at all. Of course it is likely better results at 4 volts from other gear would also improve at only 2.4 volts. But if you don't need the high output level then it performs pretty well for your purposes. I have the 7701 which I think has the same basic performance. Marantz hasn't changed their basic dacs or other circuitry for quite some time until a few very recent offerings. In my case my amps are at the max rated power for my speakers and need 2 volts for max output so 2.4 volts is plenty.

As for XLR's you might look at Worlds Best Cables. You can get them directly or from Amazon. They offer Amphenol and Neutrik connectors and you can get Canare or Mogami wire. They cost a little more than GLS, but aren't some ridiculous snake oil laced cable. Here is one example.
Neutrik connectors, Canare quad balanced wiring in 12 ft length for $26.

https://www.amazon.com/12-Foot-Balanced-Microphone-NC3MXX-B/dp/B08WLR5RCD/ref=sr_1_32?crid=2245O67WEI4I5&dchild=1&keywords=xlr+worlds+best+cables&qid=1624490851&sprefix=xlr+worlds,aps,170&sr=8-32

so I actually found Amir’s review of denon 3500 which is basically the same as my 3400. Immediately, the sinad for the 7705 is TWENTY db higher so that in itself should be a huge improvement over my current setup....which already sounds incredible. The 2200’s reach max output at 1.7 volts on xlr and the 5000x reaches max output at 1.2, so I’m fine there. SNR may not be as great at those lower voltages, but I think I’ll still be doing just fine. I really appreciate your input and at $1300, I feel like I’m getting a pretty good deal; thoughts on that?

I’ll definitely check into those xlr’s. I just don’t want to pay the ~$30 a piece for a 3ft monolith xlr cable; that seems a bit steep.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
really appreciate your input and at $1300, I feel like I’m getting a pretty good deal; thoughts on that?
If it's brand new, yes that's a very good price. The 7706 came out in Oct 2020 so if you can still find the 7705 new in the box, grab it. I have a 7703 and got mine for $1500 just after the 7704 was released. Always the best time to buy new products. ;)
My Adcom amps are rated at 1.25V rms for 100 watts into 8 ohms unbalanced. I've never even come close to needing that.
The AV770X units are great products and will fill your needs excellently.
I think your making a mistake not using Audyssey DRC, combine that with their Editor app and you can make terrific improvements to you system. Just sayin
YMMV
Sal

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well Amir tested it at 4 volts which it will put out just fine, but with mediocre distortion results. Marantz specs it for 2.4 volts. It meets all the claimed specs. The distortion is in the low -90 db range at 2.4 volts in Amir's testing. So if you don't need the output to go above 2.4 volts it isn't bad at all. Of course it is likely better results at 4 volts from other gear would also improve at only 2.4 volts. But if you don't need the high output level then it performs pretty well for your purposes.
I agree with this. At 2V the performances of both 7701 and 7705 look identical. And THD is well below spec (0.0025 % measured vs 0.008 % specified).
I have the 7701 which I think has the same basic performance.
Well, the 7701 is better in one respect: it starts to clip above 12 V :)(0dbFS and volume > 91.5). Accordingly its SINAD gets better with higher output and peaks at 12 V (see here behind the spoiler). I have no clue what happened between 7701 and 7705 that the latters output stage clips so early.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
so I actually found Amir’s review of denon 3500 which is basically the same as my 3400. Immediately, the sinad for the 7705 is TWENTY db higher so that in itself should be a huge improvement over my current setup....which already sounds incredible. The 2200’s reach max output at 1.7 volts on xlr and the 5000x reaches max output at 1.2, so I’m fine there. SNR may not be as great at those lower voltages, but I think I’ll still be doing just fine. I really appreciate your input and at $1300, I feel like I’m getting a pretty good deal; thoughts on that?
You always get the best price when the successor comes on the market. If you need its features go for it.
I’ll definitely check into those xlr’s. I just don’t want to pay the ~$30 a piece for a 3ft monolith xlr cable; that seems a bit steep.
Keep away from any highend or hifi shop. Instead visit the next shop where pro musicians buy their equipment and buy stage proven cables with Neutrik connectors. You may pay between $10 and $15 for 1 m. No need to pay more than that. For your application (short distance, line level) you won't need a more expensive star quad cable. The noise of the AV7705 dominates here anyway.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The noise of the AV7705 dominates here anyway.
Noise? I can stick my ear in the horn tweeter of my JBL's and not hear a drop of hiss from my 7703 - Adcom 545 II ?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Here you go, these are some of the best XLR cables i have ever used. I like them better than my Mogami or Canare. Can't hardly beat the price, $25 a pair.
Amazon.com: Audioblast - 2 Units - 3 Foot - HQ-4 - Star Quad Balanced Male to Female Microphone Cables with Eminence E311 & E312 Gold XLR Connectors – UV Protected & Road Ready: Industrial & Scientific

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Noise? I can stick my ear in the horn tweeter of my JBL's and not hear a drop of hiss from my 7703 - Adcom 545 II ?
A friend of me who had a 7701 used it to feed 7 Genelec 8020a. He complained about hiss and hum and, since the dealer couldn't find something, brought it to me. There was no problem feeding my O300Ds. Then I found out that he had set the volume of his 8020a to maximum and as result the 7701 reduced its output voltage by 20 dB. In this configuration hiss and hum were clearly audible. Reducing the volume setting of the 8020a by some 15 to 20 dB fixed this problem. I would expect though that with high sensitivity speakers (big horns) hum and hiss would still be audible.

This was with the 7701 but I don't expect the 7705 to be much better in this regard when looking at @amirm's measurements.

OP
J

Jon.kin96

If it's brand new, yes that's a very good price. The 7706 came out in Oct 2020 so if you can still find the 7705 new in the box, grab it. I have a 7703 and got mine for $1500 just after the 7704 was released. Always the best time to buy new products. ;)
My Adcom amps are rated at 1.25V rms for 100 watts into 8 ohms unbalanced. I've never even come close to needing that.
The AV770X units are great products and will fill your needs excellently.
I think your making a mistake not using Audyssey DRC, combine that with their Editor app and you can make terrific improvements to you system. Just sayin
YMMV
Sal

So, it’s not new. It’s a buddy of mine that wants to upgrade to the 8805 but his 7705 is in perfect condition in every way.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, it’s not new. It’s a buddy of mine that wants to upgrade to the 8805 but his 7705 is in perfect condition in every way.
The 7701 I have used to be Sal's. I couldn't tell it from new when I got it from him. It wouldn't concern me, especially if you know the owner.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is he married? If so here's what ya do, go see him when you know she's home. While there tell him "hey partner, things been a little tight for me lately (as you reach into your pocket and pull out $1000 in $20s). how bout you give an ole buddy a little break on this. When things get a little better I'll take you and the Miss'es out for a nice dinner one night."
Works just about every time. :p Grab it up,

Make sure you get the original sales receipt with it, factory warranty is 3 years.
Good news, IME these guys are highly reliable but "just in case".

OP
J

Jon.kin96

Is he married? If so here's what ya do, go see him when you know she's home. While there tell him "hey partner, things been a little tight for me lately (as you reach into your pocket and pull out $1000 in $20s). how bout you give an ole buddy a little break on this. When things get a little better I'll take you and the Miss'es out for a nice dinner one night."
Works just about every time. :p Grab it up,

Make sure you get the original sales receipt with it, factory warranty is 3 years.
Good news, IME these guys are highly reliable but "just in case".

that’s priceless. . I don’t know him THAT well. Hahaha. He’s adamant about 1300 though because he’s wanting to get the 8805 to jump up to 13 channels. Honestly though $1300 for a $2500 processor is not bad IMO.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
that’s priceless. . I don’t know him THAT well. Hahaha. He’s adamant about 1300 though because he’s wanting to get the 8805 to jump up to 13 channels. Honestly though $1300 for a $2500 processor is not bad IMO.
Buy it, you wont regret it.

I purchased 100ft of AudioBlast HQ-4 cable for $42 from Amazon and made my own low noise EMI/RFI cables using Neutrik
XX-EMC XLR Connectors…the sound is
extremely transparent

Top Bottom