• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HSU HB-1 MK2 Review (Horn Speaker)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Living in Europe I didn't know about this brand and am pleasantly surprised by the measurements for the price, decent directivity and distortion for its simple construction and horn, also didn't expect the 3 kHz dip to harm its sound which is confirmed also by Amir's listening session.

Milesian

Life in the country is idyllic until one Spring your septic system, despite loving care, says ‘I’ve had enough of this crap.’ Then suddenly you have to clear 70 cedar trees, import a dozen truckloads of sand, drag in a new tank and install an eco-friendly system for a final bill of $25000. Been there. Done that. Never again.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Life in the country is idyllic until one Spring your septic system, despite loving care, says ‘I’ve had enough of this crap.’ Then suddenly you have to clear 70 cedar trees, import a dozen truckloads of sand, drag in a new tank and install an eco-friendly system for a final bill of $25000. Been there. Done that. Never again.
That's what my wife says: if we ever buy another house, she wants one without septic!

Now I have to find the info for the tree guy we use to remove our 100 foot cedar trees....

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If it makes you feel any better, you only spent 5x what I did on a new system here in Michigan. It cost my parents in Alaska 8x as much. o_O

Amir, hopefully your septic survives. I had huge white maple roots in my sewer pipes at another house in Michigan, and that I fixed with a week in a trench and less than $500 in parts and tools. Local company had quoted $4500. They were gonna dig it up by hand same as I did.

jonfitch

Hmm I hope the CCB-8 gets measured, it looks interesting as a point source 2-way with a giant 8 inch woofer. I wonder if that solution is better than a 3-way like the upcoming ELAC UBR62.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wonder about the subjective listening result - deep bass head junky @amirm loves a speaker with no bass below 80 Hz (-3 dB) :p

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm I hope the CCB-8 gets measured, it looks interesting as a point source 2-way with a giant 8 inch woofer. I wonder if that solution is better than a 3-way like the upcoming ELAC UBR62.
Audioholics measured it, nothing to rave about.
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/ccb-8-bookshelf/measurements

Note that the design calls for the speakers to be hyper toed-in, with their line of sight intersecting in front of you.

YSC

Major Contributor
I really wonder about the subjective listening result - deep bass head junky @amirm loves a speaker with no bass below 80 Hz (-3 dB) :p
Same wonder here. Even with me who are fine with headphones without the bass boost I don’t like speakers with no bass below 80hz:cool:

jokes aside I have one question in mind: isn’t horns or waveguides aim at improving directivity and getting smooth treble? This peaking in treble don’t look fit into that

Newman

Major Contributor
Is it just a case of a good cone matched to an ordinary horn?

Which begs the question, why go with that horn?

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Afaik, horns used for directivity don't smooth on axis response, they control dispersion and provide acoustic loading at the lower ranges, something about the throat geometry. Making the response smooth is all in the crossover. I don't think the horn really affects the top octave.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the HSU HB-1 MK 2 bookshelf speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $169 each as of this writing (normal price $199).

I can't say I am a fan of the industrial looking horn but otherwise, the HB-1 looks fine:

View attachment 136955

As you see, it uses a horn-loaded tweeter. Not much to see on the back:

View attachment 136956

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of less than 1%. Temperature was 78 degrees F.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the tweeter center. The front baffler is slanted back. I measured it however as if it were not.

HSU HB-1 MK2 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 136957

At first glance the on-axis response looks pretty messy but it is mostly so above 4 kHz. Below that, it is more or less flat within context of a budget speaker. We can see the responsible actors for the frequency response in our near-field measurements of each radiating surface:

View attachment 136958

The cabinet resonance radiating through the port is kept at a lower frequency so that it doesn't interfere with the crossover region as much as it does on many other speakers. Woofer could use a sharp filter to not let it resonate in the 2 to 4 kHz. And tweeter/horn could be more well behaved above 10 kHz.

Directivity has some kinks here and there but overall, it is good enough that the off-axis response is similar to on-axis:

View attachment 136959

Thankfully the tweeter response narrows in the upper registers which reduces the on-axis resonance we saw at > 10 kHz. So combined the predicted response looks better than our original spin graph shows:

View attachment 136960

What do you think this sounds like? Too bright? What about that dip around 4 kHz? Listening tests will answer.

Distortion at 86 dBSPL is kept in check but naturally gets much worse at 96:

View attachment 136961

View attachment 136962

I mentioned earlier that the tweeter beam width narrows in higher frequencies which we clearly see that in our beam width graph:
View attachment 136964

So best to point the speaker at you like the manual suggests.

View attachment 136963

At the extreme of the frequency range though, we see a widening which I wonder if it is caused by diffraction at various corners of the horn.

Here is the vertical directivity:

View attachment 136965

There is an "eye" (hole) in response around 2.5 kHz so best to sit at or (slightly) above tweeter axis.

Finally, here is our impedance and phase graphs:

View attachment 136967

HSU HB-1 MK2 Listening Tests
Anyone who thinks you don't need to listen to speakers in objective reviews, should listen to the HSU. Despite the large variations in on-axis response, the overall tonality is almost correct. There is hardly anything to complain about. I took out the EQ tool to see if fixing the response errors make the experience better:

View attachment 136966

It took fair bit of doing to create a subjective experience that was better than stock tuning. Filling the hole around 3.5 to 4 kHz took some effort to make sure the overall tonal character wasn't too bright. The upper filters have very subtle effects due to our hearing dropping off rapidly as we get older. Still, I thought the sound was a bit more open and highs a bit more controlled with EQ.

Once there, or even without EQ, this is a very listenable speaker. It handles tons of power. It essentially doesn't bottom out on deep bass. Instead, it makes some noises and has tonal shifts which I prefer to sudden onset of the driver running out of excursion. That horn loading must enable the tweeter to better keep up with the woofer as once again, I am experiencing something slightly unique here in dynamic capability with a horn tweeter as opposed to normal waveguide.

Despite using a single speaker, I could fill my entire large space with sound but it took tons of power. I think the company advertises sensitivity of 92 dB which is a fantasy likely measured like Klipsch at the peak of tweeter resonance. I used almost every bit of my 1000 watt amplifier to drive it at highest playback level.

As an interesting aside, I could see creases in the woofer surround as I pushed it with deep bass but the audible results was not nearly as bad as the visual inspection would predict.

Conclusions
At first glance, the objective measurements of the HSU HB-1 MK 2 indicates a number of problems but a more learned look shows near flat response up to 3+ kHz where most of the spectrum of music is. So no wonder that the subjective experience was mostly positive. It seems that weaknesses of the designs are in areas where it audibly matters less and strength such as very high SPL playback ability are presented front and center. I can't say that we have enough research to objectively quantify everything that is going on in this package. Some interesting compromises were made here to produce a package that performs better than it should "on paper."

My preference is for speakers that objectively leave no question about their performance. But I have to make an exception here and go with my overall experience and a more specific analysis of the objective measurements to put the HSU HB-1 MK 2 on my recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Man, it has been hell around the house. The wife smelled a bit of sewage in our drain field. Long story short, roots had grown into the distribution box and I spent the entire day with my head inside the stupid box cutting them out and cleaning up the thing. It was one of the hottest days of the week of course causing me to sweat like nobody's business. On top of that, I tested a couple of products that were defective so couldn't publish their reviews. Hence the slow pace of reviews.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi,

Here is my take on the EQ.

These EQ are anechoic EQ to get the speaker right before room integration. If you able to implement these EQs you must add EQ at LF for room integration, that usually not optional… see hints there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...helf-speaker-review.11144/page-26#post-800725

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:

Score no EQ: 3.8
With Sub: 6.3

Spinorama with no EQ:
  • Not too bad
  • Narrow directivity
  • Some resonances
HSU HB-1 No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity: Narrow with some errors
Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 5/15deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.
HSU HB-1 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

HSU HB-1 LW better data.png

EQ design:
I have generated one EQ. The APO config file is attached.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment
  • Because of the narrow directivity the ON is ascending but the PIR looks correct
  • Amirm EQ is used as a reference point
Score EQ Amirm: 4.6
with sub: 7.1

Score EQ Score: 5.6
with sub: 7.8

Code:
HSU HB-1 APO EQ Score 96000Hz
June232021-120230

Preamp: -2.9 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 46.00 Hz Gain 0.00 dB Q 1.25
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 122.38 Hz Gain -1.18 dB Q 3.21
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 355.03 Hz Gain 1.55 dB Q 2.88
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1264.00 Hz Gain 1.78 dB Q 6.24
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1321.82 Hz Gain -1.35 dB Q 4.05
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2383.44 Hz Gain 1.53 dB Q 6.39
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4071.53 Hz Gain 3.34 dB Q 2.78
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 8076.00 Hz Gain -1.40 dB Q 1.00
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 14314.00 Hz Gain -3.20 dB Q 2.88
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 17751.00 Hz Gain -2.00 dB Q 3.95

HSU HB-1 EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ Amirm
HSU HB-1 Amirm EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
HSU HB-1 Score EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
HSU HB-1 Zoom.png

Regression - Tonal
HSU HB-1 Regression - Tonal.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Nice improvements
HSU HB-1 Radar.png

The rest of the plots is attached.

Attachments

• HSU HB-1 APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    571 bytes · Views: 65
  • HSU HB-1 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    HSU HB-1 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 95
  • HSU HB-1 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    HSU HB-1 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    446.8 KB · Views: 103
  • HSU HB-1 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    HSU HB-1 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    452.3 KB · Views: 101
  • HSU HB-1 Normalized Directivity data.png
    HSU HB-1 Normalized Directivity data.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • HSU HB-1 Raw Directivity data.png
    HSU HB-1 Raw Directivity data.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • HSU HB-1 LW data.png
    HSU HB-1 LW data.png
    850 KB · Views: 87
  • HSU HB-1 Reflexion data.png
    HSU HB-1 Reflexion data.png
    868.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

B4ICU

Any specific instructions for placing?
For size, it might require a stand. Not specified.
For horns, usually the speaker requires corners to balance the high horn efficiency vs a normal efficiency of the conventional woofer.
Klipsch does, and explains that the two walls amplifies naturally the lowas (+6dB) to match the highs.
This my explain the boost of the highs (Fr. plot) vs the rest. Is it due a poor placement?

Placement for a speaker is way more, than a recommendation. It's the most important issue to get the right sound, after the speaker itself.
The right placement can solve issues that this site likes to EQ. (Well they EQ almost anytingnything!)
Please help me understand, do you say that the game is to place it "anywhere" and EQ the rest, is the way to go,
Rather than to find it's sweet spot and not to EQ?
Well, I thought till this report, that placement a speaker, is a very basic procedure to sound the best it can. But I see that there are guys here, that
know so much more about Audio...

laudio

Enjoyable review. I focused on this comment - the without EQ part

"Once there, or even without EQ, this is a very listenable speaker. It handles tons of power. It essentially doesn't bottom out on deep bass "

So it needs a lot of power, but power is cheap these days and based on that if it ends up on your recommended list good for HSU.

The preference rating as always leaves me a little baffled.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any specific instructions for placing?
For size, it might require a stand. Not specified.
Read the manual. Company provides specific recommendations for both.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So it needs a lot of power, but power is cheap these days and based on that if it ends up on your recommended list good for HSU.
It handles a lot of power because it doesn't bottom out. My listening is with one channel. You would use more than one so wouldn't need as much amplification as I used. Good news is that there is no sudden and catastrophic ceiling to dynamic range.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
HSU & BIC America share an unknown relationship with Dr. Hsu for design on some models. BIC’s contact page is the same building as HSU, but BIC’s address on their footer states another city…

The BIC FH-65B has the same horn design and is ~$110/each on Amazon ($105 at Home Depot & Lowe’s):
https://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Formula-FH-65B-175/dp/B004157XZA
5000052367.jpg

BIC also has towers of this model (HSU has no towers speakers, odd).
I own the supplied sample and also compared it to this exact speaker (within minutes of each other). Maybe it was human error, or that the BIC was brand new (HSU was used), but the BIC appeared even a tad bit brighter in the upper highs (guessing 12k+?, IIRC). I'll see if I can find the saved RTA grahps/analysis I performed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom