• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

jaraheel

The most recent correspondence with Apos is quoted below, it doesn’t state any shipping date :(
“Thanks for patiently waiting.

I received an update from our Warehouse team that the production of the D90SE is going notably slower than expected due to supply-chain constraints.

Having said that, TOPPING and ourselves are working tirelessly to bring you this limited edition flagship DAC. Our warehouse team is working hard in making sure that the supply catches up to its demand and your order is scheduled to go out as soon as replenishment units arrive.”

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The most recent correspondence with Apos is quoted below, it doesn’t state any shipping date :(
“Thanks for patiently waiting.

I received an update from our Warehouse team that the production of the D90SE is going notably slower than expected due to supply-chain constraints.

Having said that, TOPPING and ourselves are working tirelessly to bring you this limited edition flagship DAC. Our warehouse team is working hard in making sure that the supply catches up to its demand and your order is scheduled to go out as soon as replenishment units arrive.”
Limited edition huh? I thought this was a permanent replacement O_O.

jaraheel

It doesn’t say anywhere it’s a limited edition, but Apos have been superb with their customer service so I’d let this slide :D

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Special Edition. Kinda limited? Especially with the manufacturing challenges and shipping delays.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It doesn’t say anywhere it’s a limited edition, but Apos have been superb with their customer service so I’d let this slide :D
I wasn't talking about Apos, I'm wondering if the d90se is a limited production product, meaning not a permanent replacement for topping (not that any product truly is permanent).

I'm probably just misunderstanding the wording.

"Having said that, TOPPING and ourselves are working tirelessly to bring you this limited edition flagship DAC. "

Last edited:

jaraheel

I wasn't talking about Apos, I'm wondering if the d90se is a limited production product, meaning not a permanent replacement for topping (not that any product truly is permanent).

I'm probably just misunderstanding the wording.

"Having said that, TOPPING and ourselves are working tirelessly to bring you this limited edition flagship DAC. "
I tried googling for it being a limited edition, which it doesn’t seem to be. Therefore I thought Apos kinda tried justifying the delay, which is what I was saying I’d let it pass :). Though it could be a limited edition, may be Apos knows better. @JohnYang1997 it a limited edition?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I tried googling for it being a limited edition, which it doesn’t seem to be. Therefore I thought Apos kinda tried justifying the delay, which is what I was saying I’d let it pass :). Though it could be a limited edition, may be Apos knows better. @JohnYang1997 it a limited edition?
no

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Limited Supply

slamman

There are so many ways to add saturation, drive, distortion. You can add them at any step of the process with hardware or software. If you've only tried EQ, try a saturator, clipper, or tape emulation plugin. Best to start with a clean platform, though.

abbey-road-saturator.png
interesting will check software out. if its just as good as actual valve sounds than im interested. nothing like changing tubes for fun but convenience is important even if i act like an old man in my comments and tastes. i will say. most of my linear gear sounds fantastic.

slamman

I already can't tell if you were joking, trolling, or being serious...:facepalm:
i dont mean it sounded "bad" it sounded clean like music obviously . i would love to have a d90se. its a engineering marvel and im sure it will sound different than my schiit modius and sa300mkII (im sure most would disagree) but i think every audiophile should have a passive AB switch. hook 2 dacs to the inputs and a linear as possible amp to the output. and click the AB button. better yet have someone else do it while you are turned around! resolve from headphones.com did it with IFI DAC and some topping DAC i think, he got it correct 9 out of 10 i believe. maybe the IFI was a horrible broken device but i dont think so. please dont start a debate here im just advocating for the AB switch it has taught me a lot and dismissed plenty of lies , such as class A is "warm" or tubes are all warm. not the case! but i believe it because i heard it. not because someone told me. i find i believe people like resolve a lot, who at least try to be objective while doing more than reading a spec sheet. every audiophile who actually wants to have understanding of gear must test themselves with AB in my opinion. otherwise we are just showing off reading comprehension and where is the audio passion and fun in that? =) yes amir told you its beyond hearing. go find out yourself. ! get your hands dirty and have wires all over your desk. its part of the fun. buy a tube amp and AB it to a cheap class D one just for fun to find your preference, yes as amir says we all like the same things mostly and maybe statistically thats true but i like my tube amp more than my purifi by quite a bit unless im listening to electronic or a movie. im well aware of its shortcomings, but i only know that because this is my hobby and its not just about music its about gear and nerding out over electrical engineering. i hope we arent losing the explorative fun in this hobby, its the only reason im still in it. the day everything sounds the same is the day i find a new hobby.

galanakop

I would like your opinion with more headphone amplifiels to combine the d 90se.
1. With the A 90
2. With EX5

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

galanakop

Yeah, XLR with the A90. Might try the singxer and see which sounds better. (I also have a Gustard X16, So I might leave the singxer with that)
When is it coming ??? It would be interesting to give us a vs between the Gustard X16 and the D 90SE In combination with the A 90

Top Bottom