• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

dan2021

No sound quality difference. Unless a DAC is worse than -70dB or so, there's no difference to be heard for most non-trained listeners. Even then the difference is smaller than the difference between your left and right headphone drivers.
thanks for the input!

Katji

Major Contributor
FYI CE marking changes for UK destined products.

UKCA Marking will replace CE Marking for any applicable products that are or will be placed in the GB market.
This is a nuisance. Adds to costs, adds complexity to planning. Unnecessarily.

Katji

Major Contributor
I flavor my sound the same way I flavor my food. I do it my way.
:) I do it my way but there is no correlation, or I'd be listening to Bollypop and cheesey music.

jmillar

It's called CARE, "walking the extra mile", "pride in craftsmanship" and "making the difference". In 1985 or in 2020.
When the AKM mfg facilities burned down I immediately thought engineers are going to have to burn the midnight oil to solve the well known ESS "hump" and other issues.

To design from the ground up a new product based on a totally different chip, AND improve on the numbers of the previous "flagship" model is nothing short of miraculous.

John Yang and the Topping team did it. It is to be respected and commended. And it is a good sales argument for the firms involved. In 1985 or in 2020 excellence is still a virtue.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Such as? Just curious.
Every aspect honestly. I never liked the Mytek, always thought something was "off" to me. Insert Topping, boom!

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That what preamps are for, like the Pre90+Ext90, have you heard of those? ;-) Or just a passive pre, maybe just a switch box.

Or (here’s an idea!) a power amp with support for something like the Ext90. I would not add inputs to a power amp except for the choice between RCA and XLR.

Thing is, the DAC already is a preamp with multiple digital inputs, adding a selectable bypass analog prevents having to run DAC output through another sq limiting device while still allowing you to use a preamp in front of the DAC for multiple analog devices you may possess.

I guess it’s just not something vast majority of folks see a need for.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Thing is, the DAC already is a preamp with multiple digital inputs, adding a selectable bypass analog prevents having to run DAC output through another sq limiting device while still allowing you to use a preamp in front of the DAC for multiple analog devices you may possess.

I guess it’s just not something vast majority of folks see a need for.

But doesn't the volume control on the DAC operate in the digital domain? It would have to ADC your analog input.

Plcamp

But doesn't the volume control on the DAC operate in the digital domain? It would have to ADC your analog input.

It doesn’t need volume control…simply a pass through you can select.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
It doesn’t need volume control…simply a pass through you can select.

OK, seems like a unique use case (i.e., where the sole analog source has its own volume control). Good luck.

Plcamp

OK, seems like a unique use case (i.e., where the sole analog source has its own volume control). Good luck.

sigh. Sole analog source? Maybe, but maybe not. I have a Luxman tuner with adjustable output as a single example, any vintage analog preamp or receiver with a pre-out is a multiple example.

Imagine you have several analog sources collected together by a vintage preamp. That’s not particularly unusual.

Now imagine you want to include a new DAC which can do a best in class job of providing your power amp and speakers with a clean decoded signal directly.

It would be convenient to have an analog pass through such that you don’t need to put your analog preamp between the DAC and the amp.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
sigh. Sole analog source? Maybe, but maybe not. I have a Luxman tuner with adjustable output as a single example, any vintage analog preamp or receiver with a pre-out is a multiple example.

Imagine you have several analog sources collected together by a vintage preamp. That’s not particularly unusual.

Now imagine you want to include a new DAC which can do a best in class job of providing your power amp and speakers with a clean decoded signal directly.

It would be convenient to have an analog pass through such that you don’t need to put your analog preamp between the DAC and the amp.

I see your "sigh" and raise you a "harumph"!

I can imagine the scenario laid out, but...and please take no offense, this is a hobby and I firmly believe you should enjoy your system your way.....I feel like if you don't think your pre-amp is good enough to play the DAC through, then maybe time for a new pre? (Topping makes one that seems like a crazy bargain, BTW....) Or if it's "bad" in a way that you like, then why don't you want the DAC playing through it?

This is off topic, so I'll leave it there and wish you luck integrating a DAC in a way that makes you happy.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
show me where i can add the "sugar" sound of 4 kt88s with 3 gold lion 12au7 pre amp tubes using a DOGE tube DAC with clarity caps , with an RCA split to my purify amp that will improve the sound of most brighter sounding speakers to be more forgiving and help planars sound more natural.
There are so many ways to add saturation, drive, distortion. You can add them at any step of the process with hardware or software. If you've only tried EQ, try a saturator, clipper, or tape emulation plugin. Best to start with a clean platform, though.

abbey-road-saturator.png

Top Bottom