• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AHB2 Mono v Stereo - what is audible?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If nothing else, the thread has introduced a number of members to ABXing.

I wonder how both files' sha1 can be different, but still play fine...

Both files get a new hash when Foobar uses "replay gain" to level match them for the ABX. If you don't use replay gain, the hashes will be the same as the unmatched file and not level matched. That is my understanding.

1623969466660.png

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

Both files get a new hash when Foobar uses "replay gain" to level match them for the ABX. If you don't use replay gain, the hashes will be the same as the unmatched file and not level matched. That is my understanding.

View attachment 136235
My initial thought was the same as you.

I just downloaded the files to Ubuntu box and checked the sha1 of both files.

The sha1 are the same as those shown in your original results and a few other results from today.

Since all of the results shown replaygain adjustment, it meant replaygain is not changing the SHA1 of the test files IF it was applied when doing ABX.

Regarding my results from yesterday, which had different SHA1....I think it was because I applied replaygain to the files separately,before I ran ABX.

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

More like how NOT to do ABX. If the two files were captured in such a way that audible artifacts like wind noise are added, it completely invalidates the results.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More like how NOT to do ABX. If the two files were captured in such a way that audible artifacts like wind noise are added, it completely invalidates the results.
Some of us (me at least) hadn't tried Foobar ABX at all before this, though. It isn't too late to try to get captures of speaker voltage. I'd be happy to make a filter approximating the AHB2 response with Stereophile's simulated speaker load and what I guess the mono response would be, if anyone wants to try doing this just with computer generated files.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My initial thought was the same as you.

I just downloaded the files to Ubuntu box and checked the sha1 of both files.

The sha1 are the same as those shown in your original results and a few other results from today.

Since all of the results shown replaygain adjustment, it meant replaygain is not changing the SHA1 of the test files IF it was applied when doing ABX.

Regarding my results from yesterday, which had different SHA1....I think it was because I applied replaygain to the files separately,before I ran ABX.

That makes sense.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

By all means present your similar recording efforts for our scrutiny. I'm sure they will be superior in all respects.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By all means present your similar recording efforts for our scrutiny. I'm sure they will be superior in all respects.

There are plenty of examples of abx files for use with foobar abx comparator on ASR. I also wouldn't design an experiment to test two amps using a mic anyway. As another member suggested, recording the signal/music/whatever at the speaker terminals would generate a more precise set of files.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Attached is a filter for Audacity, approximating the AHB2 response into the Stereophile simulated speaker load. A think the difference between this and flat should be about the same as the difference between AHB2 stereo and AHB2 mono. So apply this filter to a track and see if you can tell the difference in an ABX test. Here is the spectra delta of two files where I applied the filter to one. It pretty much gives the filter shape as confirmation. File difference is about -70dB so seems it will be tough to hear a difference but maybe someone can do it. I used a 2L music file for this but you can apply the filter to music you are familiar with.

1623976745142.png

Attachments

• AHB2.txt
    257 bytes · Views: 87

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Attached is a filter for Audacity, approximating the AHB2 response into the Stereophile simulated speaker load. A think the difference between this and flat should be about the same as the difference between AHB2 stereo and AHB2 mono. So apply this filter to a track and see if you can tell the difference in an ABX test. Here is the spectra delta of two files where I applied the filter to one. It pretty much gives the filter shape as confirmation. File difference is about -70dB so seems it will be tough to hear a difference but maybe someone can do it. I used a 2L music file for this but you can apply the filter to music you are familiar with.

View attachment 136241
For someone younger than myself and with good clean gear I think that might be just noticeable on an ABX test with at least some types of signals. It isn't going to sound a night and day difference.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 136241

What parameters did you use to simulate the ahb2? Just output impedance? Also did you by chance add in LCR parameters for a simulated 12ga speaker cable?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What parameters did you use to simulate the ahb2? Just output impedance? Also did you by chance add in LCR parameters for a simulated 12ga speaker cable?
I just tried to copy the curve from the Stereophile AHB2 review. I don't think this considers cable. We could make our own curve for real speakers and include cable since Soundstage showed output impedance vs freq.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I just tried to copy the curve from the Stereophile AHB2 review. I don't think this considers cable. We could make our own curve for real speakers and include cable since Soundstage showed output impedance vs freq.

Cable is considered:

"The output impedance, including a 6' speaker cable, was a low 0.09 ohm at 20Hz and 1kHz, rising slightly to 0.22 ohm at 20kHz. As a result, the modification of the Benchmark amplifier's frequency response due to the interaction between this impedance and that of our standard simulated loudspeaker was just ±0.1dB (fig.1, gray trace). "

"and as the two channels' output stages are in series in this mode, the output impedance, again including the 6' of speaker cable, was higher than in stereo, at 0.14 ohm at 1kHz. "

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cable is considered:

"The output impedance, including a 6' speaker cable, was a low 0.09 ohm at 20Hz and 1kHz, rising slightly to 0.22 ohm at 20kHz. As a result, the modification of the Benchmark amplifier's frequency response due to the interaction between this impedance and that of our standard simulated loudspeaker was just ±0.1dB (fig.1, gray trace). "

"and as the two channels' output stages are in series in this mode, the output impedance, again including the 6' of speaker cable, was higher than in stereo, at 0.14 ohm at 1kHz. "
Ah, didn't realize. Then my assumption that the flat vs filtered difference would be the same as Stereo vs mono difference is not quite right?

Maybe better to make another EQ file using the Soundstage measured AHB2 output impedance, and the impedance curve of the Revel speakers used in the OP recording?

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Ah, didn't realize. Then my assumption that the flat vs filtered difference would be the same as Stereo vs mono difference is not quite right?

Maybe better to make another EQ file using the Soundstage measured AHB2 output impedance, and the impedance curve of the Revel speakers used in the OP recording?
Please do. I would like to try it out. : )

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please do. I would like to try it out. : )
OK, I will try to do it tonight. My plan is to use VituixCAD trace to get the data from the Soundstage ABH2 output impedance curve and Amir's impedance curve for the F208. Then do the calculations in a spreadsheet, make the EQ file taking a few numbers from that. In case you or anyone else want to do it before I can get to it.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
OK, I will try to do it tonight. My plan is to use VituixCAD trace to get the data from the Soundstage ABH2 output impedance curve and Amir's impedance curve for the F208. Then do the calculations in a spreadsheet, make the EQ file taking a few numbers from that. In case you or anyone else want to do it before I can get to it.
I will let you handle it. : )

Would like to see how it is different than your first version.

Thanks!

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is what I am getting. I included 10 feet of 12 AWG cable (20 ft round trip). Since the AHB2 has a high damping factor at low frequencies, the cable resistance is the main cause of the deviations of FR (the bigger difference is at high frequencies, where the AHB2 DF comes down and the F208 impedance is also lower than with the simulated speaker). So not much difference between mono and stereo except at higher frequencies. The delta is what should be applied as EQ for an ABX test (correct?), but I can't imagine there is any audible difference in the bass, which is the OP claim. I think any bass difference would have to be from something else besides output impedance effects. I am not sure doing ABX with a filter made from this FR delta is worthwhile to do. Recording speaker voltage would be better.
1624040911079.png

edit: remade the chart to see effects better

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Here is what I am getting. I included 10 feet of 12 AWG cable (20 ft round trip). Since the AHB2 has a high damping factor at low frequencies, the cable resistance is the main cause of the deviations of FR (the bigger difference is at high frequencies, where the AHB2 DF comes down and the F208 impedance is also lower than with the simulated speaker). So not much difference between mono and stereo except at higher frequencies. The delta is what should be applied as EQ for an ABX test (correct?), but I can't imagine there is any audible difference in the bass, which is the OP claim. I think any bass difference would have to be from something else besides output impedance effects. I am not sure doing ABX with a filter made from this FR delta is worthwhile to do. Recording speaker voltage would be better.
View attachment 136362
Good job providing the differences!

Stereo is brighter. To match the brightness of stereo with mono, let's say at 10khz, the mono overall volume from 1khz and down would be 0.5db higher as compared to stereo. Would that give a sense of stronger bass?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good job providing the differences!

Stereo is brighter. To match the brightness of stereo with mono, let's say at 10khz, the mono overall volume from 1khz and down would be 0.5db higher as compared to stereo. Would that give a sense of stronger bass?
I am doubtful, because the delta is still just 1 dB at 17KHz. But it is possible you are right. I will make an EQ filter from the delta in a little bit.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I am doubtful, because the delta is still just 1 dB at 17KHz. But it is possible you are right. I will make an EQ filter from the delta in a little bit.
According to benchmark article at
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...KwHM2ZqkqRlb7LVNrQNXnHOC2-OKx3nRoCMagQAvD_BwE....

0.2db is at the threshold of audibility. 0.5db gives "red" color in the example Excel worksheet.

So, "just 1db" supposed to be so obvious that no abx is needed, at least for those who can still hear 20khz.... : P

Top Bottom