• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll & discussion: UFOs / UAPs / Other Intelligent Life in Universe

Do you believe there are alien spacecraft that have visited earth’s atmosphere?

• Yes.

• No, and I don’t believe there is other intelligent life in the Universe.

• No, but I do believe there is other intelligent life in the Universe.

• I think there is too much scientific uncertainly to be confident in any opinion on this.

• I am a space alien.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I have seen strange things in the air and underwater in my Marine Corps days. Does this mean aliens, I could not say one way or the other.
The most intriguing to me was a USO, back in 1984 when I was on the USS Enterprise and we watched for several minutes an illuminated object circle our ship on multiple occasions at speeds that we were not capable of doing under water. And I have no idea what is was, but it was rather exciting at the time. We were told to just forget about it and that's basically what we did.
My head just exploded.

Edit: Added link https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a29417939/unidentified-submarine-objects/

Last edited:

bboris77

Without getting into a long drawn out debate over the question of life (intelligent or not) on another planet. We should try and remember just because we have short life spans, doesn't mean this would be true for other species on another planet. After all, we have the, Turritopsiss dohrnii, also known as the immortal jellyfish which marine biologist believe can live forever.
So this could easily be true for another humanoid species somewhere else in the universe.

Yes, I have seen strange things in the air and underwater in my Marine Corps days. Does this mean aliens, I could not say one way or the other.
The most intriguing to me was a USO, back in 1984 when I was on the USS Enterprise and we watched for several minutes an illuminated object circle our ship on multiple occasions at speeds that we were not capable of doing under water. And I have no idea what is was, but it was rather exciting at the time. We were told to just forget about it and that's basically what we did.
So I will just try and keep an open mind and remember anything is possible. Just because we haven't figured out how to do something, doesn't mean somewhere else they may have mastered it.
It would seem almost sad and tragic to think with this incomprehensibly large Universe and we would be the only intelligent life forms.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, any civilizations that have a billion year head start on us are probably extinct if they did not find other planets to colonize or other places to live

Planets "evolve" and have a limited span of time in which they can support any life, much less advanced technological civilizations

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Universe -the Ultimate Free Lunch

All we have to do is go out and grab some

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very well said, and thanks for joining us!

Just to throw a couple of factoids out there, building on what you said, since you gave me the opening, to perhaps cast come doubt on how much we do know after our initial 115 years of modern (relativistic and quantum) physics:

From CERN:

Dark matter seems to outweigh visible matter roughly six to one, making up about 27% of the universe. Here's a sobering fact: The matter we know and that makes up all stars and galaxies only accounts for 5% of the content of the universe!

https://home.cern/science/physics/dark-matter

From NASA:

It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe.

https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy

So then how far along are we in our physics quest, really?
If the "visitors" are made of dark matter and/or dark energy, not very far at all. However, if they are made of three quarks, held together by gluons and surrounded by a cloud of leptons, then we are actuallty pretty far down the road. Which is why the standard model is also known as the theory of almost everything.

Yes, there is a lot we don't know about dark matter, dark energy, how and if gravity unifies with the other forces, what's inside a black hole, and what happened at and before the big bang.

Not only do we not know these things now, we may never know them b/c it may require we measure phenomena fully 19 orders of magnitude smaller than anything we have measured to date, and that takes putting enormous quantities of energy into subatpmic areas which approach the plank volume -- a seeming engineering inconceivability.

But if our physics is stymied b/c of such obstacles for all time, so would the same efforts be by any of those other "three-quarks-some-gluons-and-a-cloud-of-leptons" guys from other star systems.

And without that theory of everything, it hardly seems possible any intelligent civilization will develop the techologies (if they are even possible) to allow interstellar travel.

So no, they're not here. And whatever these UAPs are, they are almost certainly explainable by either bad measurements, rare atmospheric phenomena. optical artifacts generated by photographic equipment or some other as yet unexplained effect of terrestrial origin.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
By the way, we were discussing why isn't there better camera footage of this stuff.

This guy Elizondo says there is much clearer footage but it is classified... he's seen it in his former US government roles.

From Wiki:

Luis Elizondo is a former U.S. Army Counterintelligence Special Agent and former employee of the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence.

Former director of the now defunct Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program, a $22 million special access program initiated by the Defense Intelligence Agency in order to study unidentified aerial phenomena, also known as UFOs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Elizondo

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Whenever I hear ufo's I wonder what the precursor to the sr71 must have seemed like as it zoomed across the skies in the sixties to unknowing eyes.

JSmith

Master Contributor
This belongs here for sure;

1623726576192.png

JSmith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Whenever I hear ufo's I wonder what the precursor to the sr71 must have seemed like as it zoomed across the skies in the sixties to unknowing eyes.

There were plenty of eyes around Edwards Air Force Base where all but (maybe) the U2 and YF-12/SR-71 were tested.

It would have seemed like a fast jet, or, perhaps misidentified as an X-15 or other research craft, which didn't fall too deeply into "classifed" territory.

Sonic boom, maybe a faint roar from the engines, contrail when the atmosphere was uncooperative, a little dot moving regularly and not all that remarkably quickly across the sky.

No impossible moves, just a little faster than the chase planes it left behind and below. At high speed, the turn radius was (maybe) around 50-80 miles.

In my opinion, the YF-12 and SR-71 real claim to fame was that they could maintain high speed and at high altitude, endurance vs the sprints the then-current Century fighters could perform.

The fighters could sprint to Mach 2, the SR-71 could maintain Mach 3, at roughly twice the altitude.

Last edited:

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What a fascinating interview! I have been following these developments the last few months. Highly recommend anyone interested in this to watch. At this point, most every possibility is on the table with the exceptions of 1. a secret US technology and 2. optical illusions / tricking instrumentation.

A few new (to me) things stuck out:

1. He brings up the point that there are theoretical possibilities other than 1. Visitors from another planet, 2. Optical Illusions 3. super advanced Chinese or other country technology.
For example, he mentions a theory that other dimensional objects that may live here with us, sharing common space at times, but are usually invisible to us. Whoa!

2. Many of these sightings in US and other countries have been around the world's nuclear facilities. He mentions at one point that it has actually interfered with the operation of a US nuclear facility. Other countries, including China, are forming groups to look into this phenomena as well.

It really appears that the US government is completely stumped by this. They seem to be saying that there are good reasons to look beyond the easy explanations (black Ops, illusions). At least that's what they want us to believe :)

While many are understandably cynical - and for good reasons - it is helpful to realize how our understanding of the universe around us has changed significantly in the last century or so, and we may still have much to discover that would fundamentally change it yet again.

Cool stuff to speculate on!

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Enrico Fermi asked "Where is everybody?"

My question is, what's taking so long? If there really is a "they", why are they observing so clumsily for so long? It's been, what, about 70 years since the flying saucer reports started, and about 30 years or so (longer?) since the military has been bothered by them... that's an awful lot of observation. If someone or something really wanted to just observe it would seem being more discreet would be easy, but they're not. If they have some other tangible objective in mind that's even more inefficient. It just seems like if these phenomena were from extraterrestrials or some other advanced sources that they would act more logically and rationally. What possible rational purpose could there be for objects capable of non-ballistic motion to harass a ponderous by comparison navy ship?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool stuff to speculate on!

<speculation>
Yes, I love it. If an alien species wanted to set up an automated monitoring system of our capabilities, the best place to hide it would definitely be in some quiet underseas place. Maybe the whales are aware and it is what they have been singing to us. :)
</speculation>

Elizondo seems credible: what he and his friend came up with (the leaked videos + some info) has been confirmed even if it did not seem that obvious when they were leaked.

I find the comment about interference with nuclear systems (both "turning off" and "turning on") a bit worrying. Those systems are usually carefully monitored. If those incidents are at some point confirmed, it seems it will be hard to deny that we do have a rather serious issue.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

My question is, what's taking so long? If there really is a "they", why are they observing so clumsily for so long? It's been, what, about 70 years since the flying saucer reports started, and about 30 years or so (longer?) since the military has been bothered by them... that's an awful lot of observation. If someone or something really wanted to just observe it would seem being more discreet would be easy, but they're not. If they have some other tangible objective in mind that's even more inefficient. It just seems like if these phenomena were from extraterrestrials or some other advanced sources that they would act more logically and rationally. What possible rational purpose could there be for objects capable of non-ballistic motion to harass a ponderous by comparison navy ship?
It's been a lot longer my friend. UFO's have been reported or observed throughout mankind's history. It's just being more talked about now because we now have universal media access. Even some of the stories described in the bible, describing descending angels or god, could easily be interpreted as a some form of spaceship or spacecraft.
Some would say, it boils down to one very flawed human trait, our Egotism. We want to rationalize this phenomena according to how we think or live our existence, what we have done or can do. When there's a good chance that any other advanced long living civilization would have a totally different outlook compared to us and obviously would be far more technologically advanced beyond our comprehension.
They may have been here long ago and they may be observing us now. Who knows ? It's just easy to be skeptical because that's how we are wired.
I do find it amusing when some of the skeptics excuses are, because we can't detect them or why aren't they communicating with us.
It's almost laughable if you really think about it. Seriously, Why would any advanced beings want to communicate with us ? When they can just sit back and watch the freak show, they'll learn all they need to know.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

They are out there, near the Galactic center.

But none of them seem to wonder
What it's like down here
Everybody knows
This is nowhere

- apologies to Neil

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been a lot longer my friend. UFO's have been reported or observed throughout mankind's history. It's just being more talked about now because we now have universal media access. Even some of the stories described in the bible, describing descending angels or god, could easily be interpreted as a some form of spaceship or spacecraft.
Some would say, it boils down to one very flawed human trait, our Egotism. We want to rationalize this phenomena according to how we think or live our existence, what we have done or can do. When there's a good chance that any other advanced long living civilization would have a totally different outlook compared to us and obviously would be far more technologically advanced beyond our comprehension.
They may have been here long ago and they may be observing us now. Who knows ? It's just easy to be skeptical because that's how we are wired.
I do find it amusing when some of the skeptics excuses are, because we can't detect them or why aren't they communicating with us.
It's almost laughable if you really think about it. Seriously, Why would any advanced beings want to communicate with us ? When they can just sit back and watch the freak show, they'll learn all they need to know.

I suppose it is possible they are so different that any behavioral perspective we have might be incorrect. But that argument also sounds like a rationale for wanting to believe and it becomes a blanket dismissal of any counter-argument.

Top Bottom