• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

Flak

Industry Insider
As my fellow forumers likely know already, we have released a Dirac Live update for Windows which provides a virtual audio card (in addition to plugins) so that systemwide correction of all audio from the PC is available.
We are now going to release an update of the Mac version as well that will align it with the Windows version... if interested in testing it please open a ticket on the HelpDesk here:
https://confluence.dirac.services/display/DLS/Dirac+Live+Support
so that your findings and comments can be shared with the developers.

Thanks for your time :)
Flavio

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Do we need to own a Dirac live license to test it ;)

Not necessarily... we can enable a temporary license for testing purposes :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily... we can enable a temporary license for testing purposes :)

I own a Dirac enabled device so I know my way around the interface and the workflow, I would be happy to test the standalone version on Windows for few hours.

I suppose I should open a ticket on the help disk?

Also one (off-topic) question, is there a fundamental difference between different DIRAC implementations? Would running DIRAC on Windows be superior to running DIRAC on a miniDSP because you have (presumably) access to more FIR Taps?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As my fellow forumers likely know already, we have released a Dirac Live update for Windows which provides a virtual audio card (in addition to plugins) so that systemwide correction of all audio from the PC is available.
We are now going to release an update of the Mac version as well that will align it with the Windows version... if interested in testing it please open a ticket on the HelpDesk here:

Flavio
That's great. I recently upgraded to multi-channel and saw the stand alone processor and downloaded. I have both the vst plug in on JRiver and the stand alone processor loaded on my PC and for some reason, the stand alone processor will sometimes launch and sometimes won't. Any idea why this is?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to use it when I get my Octo DAC 8 Pro, or just stick with the vst plug in on JRiver.

And of course I would like to know when DBM for the PC will be available. I've applied for the beta version, and had no reply, I would definitely like to try it out. I have four LS 50s now (two original, two Metas, a Purifi Eigentact, a SVS SB2000, and an Octo DAC 8 Pro should be coming to my door any day now. I've used Dirac Live since 2015, and some form of DSP Room and speaker correction since 2004. I'd be a perfect beta tester for DBM.

Reactions: Ata

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Also one (off-topic) question, is there a fundamental difference between different DIRAC implementations? Would running DIRAC on Windows be superior to running DIRAC on a miniDSP because you have (presumably) access to more FIR Taps?
Great questions. Would like to know this as well.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I wonder the same thing.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I purchased a Dirac Live standalone 1.1 (stereo) license for Windows in May 2017, and then considered upgrading to multichannel in the summer of 2018. However, on my request at that time, I was recommended to wait for version 2.0. This was never really released as a standalone, I think. I then got a free update to the 2.0 VST version in February 2020. But I was frustrated by the long wait, never used it, and have since switched to the Neumann MA 1.

Therefore: Nice that there is now again a current standalone version, after this was neglected for a long time. I am now considering using multichannel in the near future in conjunction with an RME UCX and TotalMix FX. My idea is that for stereo applications I will listen without Dirac, since the stereo system is already calibrated via the Neumann DSP. I would only use Dirac for multichannel (4.0) if I want to connect 2 rearspeakers from my secondary system now and then.

My questions now are: Does the DiracLive Processor work together with TotalMix FX?
And: Is there a discounted upgrade option for old customers of the 1.1 version?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
And: Is there a discounted upgrade option for old customers of the 1.1 version?

If anyone wants to know, i was able to answer this question myself: It seems the newest standalone-version works for me with my old license without additional cost and I was able to buy and activate the Dirac Processor Multi-Channel Upgrade for 123 EUR. I did not try to calibrate a 4.0 system yet, but the software seems to work as expected. I don´t have the UCX yet and didn´t try TotalMix yet.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was able to upgrade from standalone Dirac 1.x to Dirac Live 3.0 at no charge. I have since paid $150 USD to upgrade to multichannel b/c I plan to run a 4.1 set up using JRiver with DL and an Octo Research DAC 8 Pro with my four LS 50s and single SVS Sb2000.

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
@abdo123 @sweetchaos @Χ Ξ Σ

The question about filter taps is a bit more complicated because the Dirac Live filters are not implemented as pure FIR filters.
Depending on which DSP it is, we either use a hybrid FIR and IIR filter structure or a dual-rate FIR filter structure.
But you can roughly say that our filter is equivalent to an FIR of length 500 ms, that is, 24000 taps at 48 kHz or 48000 taps at 96 kHz.
This has proven to be more than enough resolution to do room correction.
A higher resolution is not really necessary because the way the filters are designed limits the resolution (smoothing), otherwise we would risk to "over compensate"

gonzoucab

Flavio
I will be happy to test

Music1969

Major Contributor
But you can roughly say that our filter is equivalent to an FIR of length 500 ms, that is, 24000 taps at 48 kHz or 48000 taps at 96 kHz.

This is specifically for Dirac Live on desktop right?

Not applicable to miniDSP implementation or AVR, which have limited processing power?

Or are you saying it's consistent across all Dirac Live 3 devices?

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
This is specifically for Dirac Live on desktop right?

Not applicable to miniDSP implementation or AVR, which have limited processing power?

Or are you saying it's consistent across all Dirac Live 3 devices?

Yes, it applies to the miniDSP implementations as well.

onion

Will this allow multisub management using Dirac-live on the miniDSP 2x4hd? If so, I'd be interested

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Will this allow multisub management using Dirac-live on the miniDSP 2x4hd? If so, I'd be interested
It will not... Dirac Bass Control isn't currently available for the miniDSP 2x4HD so the subs should be connected, measured, and corrected as if they were one.

onion

It will not... Dirac Bass Control isn't currently available for the miniDSP 2x4HD so the subs should be connected, measured, and corrected as if they were one.
Will be great if DBC does become available for miniDSP 2x4HD :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

My question may require a drum roll for stupidity. I am feeling courageous so I am asking it :)

I have 2 unused PCs available: i5 and i7 Lenovo Thinkcentre Mp93. Powerful enough I would think, for the purpose. How do I add Dirac Standalone Live to my 2-CH and MCH system that is currently controlled by an AVR? I'd like get better multiple subwoofer integration on 2-Ch and MCH. My AVR has pre-out and I wouldn't be adverse to acquire a DAC with MCH but I also want/need my Atmos, DTS-X and ... for my movies.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How do I add Dirac Standalone Live to my 2-CH and MCH system that is currently controlled by an AVR?
I run DiracLive3 as a stand-alone in my PC-based servers with Jriver for file playback. The problem you face is that there's really no practical way to get the MCH signals from the AVR to Jriver as well as from Jriver back to the AVR. Prepro or AVR with Dirac is practical.

Top Bottom