• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon Replaces AKM AK4458 DAC IC in X4700H and X6700H

patoulol

Forum Donor
same feeling after filling up with gasoline in my car and a nice wash: I feel a little more power :D

schpuns

I've got a Denon x3700h on order right now, should I open it up and see what DAC's it has when I get it?
Hi, so did you open and check ?

How about others ? It's quite important information: do we have any update / info confirming or not the change of AKM IC?

pevely

Did they also fix the HDMI 4k/120Hz bug?

They make changes on digital board, where are DACs. They told me, that every changes on board with new DAC PCM5102a are adjusted to match previous sound quality. Sorry for bad english. About repaired HDMI chips they told nothing. You can order SPK618 adapter, that repair 8K/4K 120hz signal.

Daniel0

Fifth number from right in serial number indicates new DAC (PCM5102a) models
Are you sure this is correct? Since this is a stereo dac and would require 4 of those to replace a single AK4458 and probably a board redesign.

pevely

Are you sure this is correct? Since this is a stereo dac and would require 4 of those to replace a single AK4458 and probably a board redesign.

This information e-mail me Denon product manager. Digital board with DAC chips was complete re-designed.

Last edited:

Daniel0

This information e-mail me Denon product manager.
Well at least the SNR rating is only 3dB worse than the AKM part. If they upgraded the volume control IC the performance could actually be the same.
But we don't know if there are no measurements of the new design from amir.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well at least the SNR rating is only 3dB worse than the AKM part. If they upgraded the volume control IC the performance could actually be the same.

Unfortunately that would not be possible.

Based on the published spec of the PCM5102A, it doesn't matter how good the volume control IC is, the best SINAD Amir could hope to get would be about 93 dB.

Anyway, we have been speculating this thing for a while now and this seems nothing new, that the PCM5100 series are used for the secondary zones not the main zone. Until there is something new published by Denon, I would just refer back to the Denon Japan site photos. The replacement board seems to show the replacement IC has the same pin configuration as the AK4458. The PCM5100 series are 20-pin ICs.

Post about the PCM5102A being a rumor:
(1) Denon Replaces AKM AK4458 DAC IC in X4700H and X6700H | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Post where I attached the photos of the old vs new DAC boards from Denon.jp website:
(1) Denon Replaces AKM AK4458 DAC IC in X4700H and X6700H | Page 3 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Daniel0

Based on the published spec of the PCM5102A, it doesn't matter how good the volume control IC is, the best SINAD Amir could hope to get would be about 93 dB.
Maybe @amirm could use his good relationship with sound united to get a review sample with the new dac board.

hollywoodNINE

I've had a Marantz CD6007 cd player on order since Feb. Shipped out today. Anyone know if the DAC in these might have been changed out?

wseroyer

Hi, so did you open and check ?

How about others ? It's quite important information: do we have any update / info confirming or not the change of AKM IC?

I haven't got my receiver yet, denon is taking forever.

Koekerwauz_NL

No date stamp on the box or on the AVR.
Serial No. gives no information about manufacturing date (at least for me).

I think first 2 digits in the serial is month en the second 2 digits is product year.
Makes sence looking at other serials of Marantz/Denon.

Legal-Alien

Maybe.
My Serial-Digits start with 0121, that would mean production date is January 2021 ?
I ordered in January, Denon was delivered in April.
Would also explain the "good old" AKM-DACs in my X4700.

Koekerwauz_NL

It makes sence doesn't it. I saw some other serials of Marantz and think that this is the way to establish the production year/month.

Geoflux

Got a call today from the dealer I purchased from back in March. He just got invoiced for a pallet of x3700h’s. He had received 4700’s and 6700’s in the last few months but not a single 3700. Should have mine in probably 7-10 days.

I’m assuming they are shipping out with the newly revised chips. I’ll still take a look inside once mine is in. Hopefully they implemented it properly.

Wonder if they will even come out with new models this year.

amper42

Major Contributor
Since Denon was acquired by Sound United it's been all about cost cutting. From limiting dealers who can offer repair services to increasing the cost of models already released to limiting technical support and call center employees. Hopefully, they won't start degrading the DAC parts as well.

What I would like to see is Topping come out with an 11 channel DAC with Dirac live and bass management. Someone should provide real competition in the Home Theatre market.

Geoflux

Still waiting. Been over a week that I was told my dealer’s shipment was getting sent freight. Can’t see it taking this long which sounds like denon is delaying the shipment. Doesn’t take 12 days to get across the country. Guess we’ll see.

Anyone get a recently shipped 3700h?

wseroyer

Still waiting. Been over a week that I was told my dealer’s shipment was getting sent freight. Can’t see it taking this long which sounds like denon is delaying the shipment. Doesn’t take 12 days to get across the country. Guess we’ll see.

Anyone get a recently shipped 3700h?

I've been waiting since the beginning of May, this is F-ing ridiculous.

Top Bottom