• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt I150 integrated Amp/DAC

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am interested in this amp. Joined this forum to get an idea of what people who have the amp think. I would also like a few answers to my questions. 1. Can I connect a phonograph? Has anyone used this amp with S400 speakers? What do you think of the pairing with the S400. What are similar amps to the I150. I am looking for pure sound and not intense base. love my S400, but not thrilled with the pairing of the Roksan K3. I am new to this forum so no insults. Some science would be nice, but more interested in hearing about some comparisons before I order these for a try. Is this amp worth a try.
While I haven't tried the Buchardt L150, it is based on the Hypex NC252MP which I do own. So while I don't have any of the extra features or remote, it should sound indistinguishable save for the equal loudness feature (which I have a form of in my Denon X4500H which is connected via the RCA preouts). I think it's a great amp for this speaker in either form you decide to go with.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It has several features like analog volume, DAC, subwoofer outs, etc.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it looks like a nice integrated amp. I'll stick with my AVR since I have a multi-channel system but for 2.1 it would be on my short list.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey folks,

Looks like Buchardt Audio (@Mads Buchardt) is going to release an integrated amplifier, the I250m:

View attachment 59604
View attachment 59605

" Here you would have access to our Buchardt room correction, advanced EQ and more.
- It's directly made to match our speakers with some fantastic features to bring full dynamics back to the mix when you listen at low volumes. It's a game changer if you often listen at low volumes, it's basically a compensation for how the human ear senses sound at lower dBs (ISO 226:2003). Here you choose via the App what speakers you have paired with the amp so that the DSP can apply the correct settings and do this accurately along with other improvements to either the S300 and S400. You can of course disable this if you use other speakers with the amp.
- To read more about both the room correction and the ISO 226:2003 function, check out the A500 that have this decribed:
https://www.buchardtaudio.com/a500-detailed-description

- Build with two separate power supplies. Linear power supply for DAC, preamp section and DSP and a switch-mode for the power amp section
- Hypex NCORE Class D amp module at 2 x 150/250Watt 8/4 ohm.
(NC252MP?)
- ES9028PRO DAC which is a very high end chip for an integrated amplifier, especially at this price point! (Heu... nope!)
- Powerful Quad core DSP processor
- 5.0 Bluetooth which mainly acts as data transfer between what you do in the app and the amp such as the room correction filters and EQ functions. But it also supports audio playback with aptX HD.
- Pricing for all this : €2500. BUT if you are buying it as a bundle with our speakers it will be €1875. This price even applies if you already have bought a pair of speakers directly from us! "
I just noticed the amplifier name is I150, not I250 as the thread name and first post. Funny as the NC252MP is rated at 250W at 4 ohms, would make sense for the amplifier to be I250 too. But instead they rated 150W at 8 ohms and 300W at 4 ohms because some audiophiles strongly believe in doubling power while halving the load impedance.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just noticed the amplifier name is I150, not I250 as the thread name and first post. Funny as the NC252MP is rated at 250W at 4 ohms, would make sense for the amplifier to be I250 too. But instead they rated 150W at 8 ohms and 300W at 4 ohms because some audiophiles strongly believe in doubling power while halving the load impedance.
Yep, thanks. I stand corrected. It surely made sense to me at the time...

smittygrl01

I bought the Bouchard amp. Can’t wait to get it. Going to pair it with my S400 speakers and Pro-ject X2 turntable with a pro-ject phon-box-ultra (preamp).

My only wish is that Mads would give us want to be audiophiles new to the game; recommendations on what he thinks the ultimate pairing with their amp and S300 or S400 speakers. Examples would be what phonograph and why. Show a gallery of some suggested setups. The company can test different products. Bottom line showcase what or how Mads crew uses the products

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only wish is that Mads would give us want to be audiophiles new to the game; recommendations on what he thinks the ultimate pairing with their amp and S300 or S400 speakers.
I don't know anything about turntable, so I can't tell.

About, this amp tho, you would be misleaded if you think this is the "Ultimate pairing". There's no such thing...at least, not quite. Every good, powerful and transparent amp will pair well with the S400 and that what Ncore are. This I150 is just an integrated amp based on the same NC252MP you may get from many manufacturers.;)

Still an interesting all in one integrated solution with cool industrial design.

mSpot

This I150 is just an integrated amp based on the same NC252MP you may get from many manufacturers.
That is only the amplifier section.

The more interesting aspect of the I150 are the DSP equalizations tuned specifically to the response of the S400. A feature that especially interests me is the application of Fletcher-Munson curve when playing at lower volume. It assumes an S400 is connected and knows the amp being used, and also the current volume setting, so it knows how loudly the S400 will play and it can dynamically adjust equalization as the volume is changed.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend has A500 and he likes them a lot BUT for the part where the back panel gets insanely hot. I hope this amp is not like that! This appears to have some heatsinking at least, unlike A500.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend has A500 and he likes them a lot BUT for the part where the back panel gets insanely hot. I hope this amp is not like that! This appears to have some heatsinking at least, unlike A500.
Both are nothing in common to begin with.;)
The I150 is a larger case with Ncore NC252 module. The A500 backplate (Which I confirm to be very hot after listening sessions) contains Texas Instruments chips and boards, references unknown...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really not needed. Unless they messed with the DAC/preamp implementation, performance will be on par with NC252MP datasheet/Amir measurements.
Technically, you are right. But as a company who designs their products around measurements, just as they did with their speakers, they know that they need to do this preemptively. It's transparent marketing and I think it's smart.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD 88 and the 250W in 4 ohms of the NC252MP. Not bad.

pf-2a725377--image20210225T102234564Z.png

RMW_NJ

So far, Buchardt is really far from doing any transparent marketing...

A very tired A500 owner.

I hear ya. Been following along with the A500 issues on the Facebook group.

I personally own the S400 and the I150. I was enjoying it until I installed the latest beta firmware. Now I’ve got awful distortion out of the right channel. Literally sounds like a transistor radio trying to pick up a distant station. Going to try and revert back, and see if it fixes it.

I get Buchardt is a small business trying some new things, but I do feel like customers are being treated like guinea pigs, which doesn’t seem right especially since those of us buying their products had no idea this was going to be the case when we purchased.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
So far, Buchardt is really far from doing any transparent marketing...

A very tired A500 owner.

Oh! I'm interested in what you have to say about A500, or please point me where you already said so, as an owner of S400 I have mixed feelings, but I'm kind of cluless and haven't tried many speakers/setups so I cant judge properly.

I hear ya. Been following along with the A500 issues on the Facebook group

Can you please share the link to the facebook group? I'm interested in some reading about it. Thanks

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
which doesn’t seem right especially since those of us buying their products had no idea this was going to be the case when we purchased.
You said it all.

Seems like they considered us as bêta-testers, not regular customers supposed to own a finished product...

This week, I'm going to write a request to Buchardt. I will ask for the return of the Hub + Remote because it simply NEVER worked as intended after 7 months of use (and dozens of mail back and forth with their support).

Last edited:

RMW_NJ

You said it all.

Seems like they considered us as bêta-testers, not regular customers supposed to own a finished product...

This week, I'm going to write a request to Buchardt. I will ask for the return of the Hub + Remote because it simply NEVER worked as intended after 7 months of use (and dozens of mail back and forth with their support).

I’m actually considering sending the I150 back too, now. After seeing the issues A500 owners have had, I’m not interested in having a partially working product for the next 6 months while the bugs are worked out in the firmware and new app.

Top Bottom