• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible that the sound from the new Hiby R6 is much better than it's R3 Saber sibling?

Destination: Moon

Hi, I'm new to DAPs and the digital side of audiophile equipment. I'm blown away by the sound of the little R3 saber. I'm using it as a source to drive my amp and speakers.
I'm not happy with some of its quirks. So I bought an R5 Saber but was surprised to find that it didn't sound as good. The design was nice and the device seemed stable, but I returned it due to the SQ.

So now I'm looking at the New R6.... It's 900 after taxes etc. vs 200 for the little but wonderful R3.....Could the R6 possibly bring that much of an improvement in SQ? I'm asking because it's a huge jump and although I can afford it, I have little experience in this realm and I don't like returning stuff for subjective reasons. I'd love to hear from more experienced listeners here, especially if your familiar with the Hiby R3 Pro models

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dopaminer

If you plan to use a DAP as a source for an external amp (as I do), then the new R6 has one crucial advantage: balanced line out. You'll notice it has two 4.4 ports; one is PO for headphones; the other is LO, bypassing the internal amplifiers.

This is the main reason I am interested in the new R6.

OP
D

If you plan to use a DAP as a source for an external amp (as I do), then the new R6 has one crucial advantage: balanced line out. You'll notice it has two 4.4 ports; one is PO for headphones; the other is LO, bypassing the internal amplifiers.

This is the main reason I am interested in the new R6.

The R3 has a 2.5 mm balanced output that you can set to LO. My amp only has single point inputs but the LO feature really seems to add some dynamics to the the sound.

That said, I decided to buy an SU-9 bluetooth dac instead of a portable DAP. Should be here later this week hopefully!

Last edited:

Sound86

The R3 has a 2.5 mm balanced output that you can set to LO. My amp only has single point inputs but the LO feature really seems to add some dynamics to the the sound.

That said, I decided to buy an SU-9 bluetooth dac instead of a portable DAP. Should be here later this week hopefully!

Pondering the same question right now. Ordered the DA-9 recently and also have some other DACs lying around. Id like to downsize to one unit I can play my music from everywhere. R3 Pro looks pretty good with TRRS balanced and is much more affordable than the SU-9.

OP
D

I did
Pondering the same question right now. Ordered the DA-9 recently and also have some other DACs lying around. Id like to downsize to one unit I can play my music from everywhere. R3 Pro looks pretty good with TRRS balanced and is much more affordable than the SU-9.

I did the same.... Ordered the DA last week. I have the SU 9 too. I'm using the R3 too. I don't think you can go wrong if your looking for a portable battery powered DAC. There are cheaper ones that are probably just as good without the balanced 2.5 but no reason for me at least to spend another 200 plus on it

chocomamey

Can I use my Hiby R2 dap as a bridge/streamer between my desktop Pc and Marshall stanmore speaker to use outdoors?
So I can connect like this : Pc >wifi>hiby R2 connected to marshall speaker by aux cable + Foobar app installed in my smartphone to handle Pc Hard drive files....all this hassle is to have:
1.-better connection via wifi (speaker only has aptx BT)
2.- not being limited to my 256gb sd card on DAP and have full access to all my files of pc .
3.- Not spending in a expensive streamer to do that

High, unfortunately there doesn't exist any app for convolution without the need of root.
The hiby r6 player provides convolution plugin within the hiby player app but it's not available in the standalone android app.
I assume the r6/r8 are using a rooted android or a somewhat accustomized version to realize this function, so it may not work with a conventional unrooted android running on usual smartphones.
If someone uploads the plugin of his hiby r6/r8 dap, we will be able to evaluate it.
With the " total commander" app just search for hiby or "hiby music" to find the apk and then select "open as zip".
The convolution plugin should be placed in "assets">"plugins"> in both files there something named like "convolution.so". (assumed the plugin has been already downloaded in the plugin section of the app)

Top Bottom