• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which easy to use equialization software do you use in Windows 10, please? I would also love to know which is the parametric EQ software used by the admin.

Thank you for the inofrmations.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, any free alternative that looks the same / has the same style of parametric EQ?
If you just want free Windows 10 PEQ with good functionality, I would suggest Peace GUI and Equalizer APO. It has pleanty of bands for any of the profiles Amir suggests, even in the simple view. There is lots of information on EQ in this thread.

Do you think equalizer apo is the best system wide EQ for windows or you would recommend something over it?
I use it. It has been great.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think equalizer apo is the best system wide EQ for windows or you would recommend something over it?
I use Equalizer APO also and it works great, even for multiple sound outputs (headphones via one audio device, speakers via another).

garbulky

Major Contributor
I got the HD800S coming in today. If I have to eq the bass, I'll try a Schiit Loki but I'm not very keen on eq. I think at these prices, the headphones just need to sound great without tinkering around. Is that a crazy request.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got the HD800S coming in today. If I have to eq the bass, I'll try a Schiit Loki but I'm not very keen on eq. I think at these prices, the headphones just need to sound great without tinkering around. Is that a crazy request.

Just do it, HD800s is infinitely better for most music once you EQ the bass.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would guess Loki mini+ would work pretty well with its non constant q passive filter at 20Hz and 8kHz. You need a good bump in the HD800s bass. Mine is at 40Hz. Bringing the highs down a bit will also improve things, but you may not need it.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I would guess Loki mini+ would work pretty well with its non constant q passive filter at 20Hz and 8kHz. You need a good bump in the HD800s bass. Mine is at 40Hz. Bringing the highs down a bit will also improve things, but you may not need it.
Looks like there's a 6 to eight week leadtime on the Loki. We'll see. Jason mentioned that he was considering a more upscale Loki which is something I may be interested in. I am hoping that I will be thrilled with the HD800s by itself.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Well I got the HD800S and it lacks bass extension. Has anybody tried the Hifiman Arya or the MrSpeaker Ether flows? I am looking for the spaciousness of the HD800S coupled with extended balanced frequency response in the low bass.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Don't look further, use EQ.
Have you tried it with the hd800s? What do you think?
my issue is that my listening comes from multiple sources not just a pc. This requires an analog eq outside the dac. The schit Loki is a somewhat imprecise eq but there’s a 4-6 week lead time. My return window on the headphones closes before then. I’m also not really in the habit of putting a band aid on an already expensive product, but I might if it truly fixes it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like there's a 6 to eight week leadtime on the Loki. We'll see. Jason mentioned that he was considering a more upscale Loki which is something I may be interested in. I am hoping that I will be thrilled with the HD800s by itself.

The Loki bass compensation differs from what is needed. You' ll get more bass but not the correct correction which may disappoint.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any analog eq solutions that would do well?
Depends if you mean analog in/ analog out, or analog all the way through. If the former, you can get PEQ, which is best, in something like MiniDSP 2X4 or MiniDSP 2X4HD. If you want totally analog, maybe a vintage graphic equalizer, which will have a high noise floor, or perhaps wait for the one Schiit plans to release this year.

Top Bottom