• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The lowdown on Apple Music lossless

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I ripped my music in lossy formats gradually dating back to the late 1990s and have upgraded most of it to Apple AAC 256 kbps via Apple Music (which now includes Apple Match). Now I see from the provided link above:

Can I redownload my iTunes purchases in lossless?
If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can redownload music in lossless only from the Apple Music catalog.

So the question is, do I want to go through the trouble of updating most of my ripped music from lossy formats to Apple Lossless via Apple Music / Apple Match? Is it worth the time and effort? I almost always listen online nowadays anyway.

And now I'm thinking maybe it's just not worth the trouble!!!

JeffWright

I ripped my music in lossy formats gradually dating back to the late 1990s and have upgraded most of it to Apple AAC 256 kbps via Apple Music (which now includes Apple Match). Now I see from the provided link above:

Can I redownload my iTunes purchases in lossless?
If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can redownload music in lossless only from the Apple Music catalog.

So the question is, do I want to go through the trouble of updating most of my ripped music from lossy formats to Apple Lossless via Apple Music / Apple Match? Is it worth the time and effort? I almost always listen online nowadays anyway.

And now I'm thinking maybe it's just not worth the trouble!!!

Clearly not worth the effort, since Apple wraps the downloaded high res files as "HLS media", currently only meaningful support (i.e., playback) being from Apple applications.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Clearly not worth the effort, since Apple wraps the downloaded high res files as "HLS media", currently only meaningful support (i.e., playback) being from Apple applications.

Because of this kind of stuff I will just keep using qobuz.

Top Bottom