• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel PerformaBe F226Be Floorstanding Speaker Review

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
If we can, let's try to keep the thread on topic. Discussing other reviewers being looney is fine but let's not calling them morons and whatnot. Not that anyone has. And I'd rather not see the thread devolve in to a name calling exercise.

Just trying to cut this off at the pass. ;)

- Erin

JackStraw5877

If we can, let's try to keep the thread on topic. Discussing other reviewers being looney is fine but let's not calling them morons and whatnot. Not that anyone has. And I'd rather not see the thread devolve in to a name calling exercise.

Just trying to cut this off at the pass. ;)

- Erin
Thank you, and I’ll close with a final observation so we can get back on track with the topic at hand.

There seems to be A LOT of name calling and insults towards people who express unpopular, often subjective opinions. In fact, there have even been entire threads created for this. It’s becoming a “thing” here.

I felt the need to finally speak up, as I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way. I’m here for the objective data and stimulating discussion - it’s what makes ASR stand out from the crowd.

Martini

Forum Donor
Outside of the paper cone/aluminum cone comments, my critique would be NOT to wear pajama bottoms in video reviews. Makes one think the audio review is just something you do when you've gotten a little burned-out from playing video games all day.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with you Erin, moreover what I found difficult to understand is that those drivers are working perfectly pistonic, with such a low distortion, low compression and excellent measurement, yet he says that Revel F226be sound have "low detail, resolution and clarity" :facepalm::facepalm:

He’s trying to push his pro open baffle Danny Ritchie bias, imo.

I enjoy his videos, actually. Just take his impressions with a grain of salt.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, and I’ll close with a final observation so we can get back on track with the topic at hand.

There seems to be A LOT of name calling and insults towards people who express unpopular, often subjective opinions. In fact, there have even been entire threads created for this. It’s becoming a “thing” here.

I felt the need to finally speak up, as I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way. I’m here for the objective data and stimulating discussion - it’s what makes ASR stand out from the crowd.

With respect, who cares?

Hmm.

Here we have a YouTube video review posted where the reviewer is sitting next to a binaural dummy, asking for funding for said dummy, instructing us to listen to a compressed stream and hear what F226Be speakers sound like.
He is entitled to his views but the methodology is absurd. Sorry.

- Rich

Last edited:

JackStraw5877

Hmm.

Here we have a YouTube video review posted where the reviewer sitting next to a binaural dummy, asking for funding for said dummy, instructing us to listen to a compressed stream and hear what F226Be speakers sound like.
He is entitled to his views but the methodology is absurd. Sorry.

- Rich
Fair point, Sir.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am an active reader of this wonderful site, and have learned so much since I registered. I don’t post much, but feel compelled to reply to this thread...

Hurling ad hominem at someone with whom we disagree is unsavory at best, and beneath this site in general.

I may be guilty here. I do find it hard to draw the line with this stuff. I think it is appropriate to call out (and we should do it specifically) people who are doing consumers a disservice, and particularly those who seek to profit from peddling nonsense. I may get a bit overzealous, and I apologize if it has coarsened your experience of ASR, that was not my intention.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I may be guilty here. I do find it hard to draw the line with this stuff. I think it is appropriate to call out (and we should do it specifically) people who are doing consumers a disservice, and particularly those who seek to profit from peddling nonsense. I may get a bit overzealous, and I apologize if it has coarsened your experience of ASR, that was not my intention.
I'm also guilty as charged. It's easy to get carried away and forget to put things in perspective and exercise simple courtesy.

JackStraw5877

Not at all, however I really appreciate your message and sentiment. Although it may not have seemed like it, my comments were more in general as opposed to being directed at anyone in particular.

As we say in the South (I was born and raised in Tennessee), after “marinating” on this for a while, and hearing and considering y’all’s perspectives on this, I’ve realized the value in calling out the rampant “peddling nonsense” on YouTube and various other sites out there. There is so much inherent risk to potential customers who may not understand what’s really going on in the audio industry at large, and there must be some counter balance to the (often subtle) misinformation and disinformation that exists in such abundance.

Admittedly, prior to joining ASR, I could have easily been taken in by it all, and would have inevitably wasted a lot of my own hard earned money. I view the “calling out” as a SERVICE to people like myself, and commend these efforts by so many in this community.

Yourself, Dennis, and Rich have made very valid and interesting points on the issue, and I have appreciated this dialogue very much.

So Erin, with that, you’ve done an excellent review on the 226be, and I apologize for taking up space here off topic.

Cheers, everyone.

~ Brandon

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
I agree.

FWIW, I've talked to Ron a few times. I haven't watched all his videos but have watched a couple. He does provide measurements and he has asked me about providing him SPIN data for items he reviews. While I may not agree with his assessments, I don't think that's worthy of the excess of language we have going on. Plus, as fellow reviewer, I don't want that kind of negativity in one of my threads, TBH. So, let's try to keep the words on the more civil side. ;) :)

I thought I did (compared to the words that first came to my mind)! :)

CatDad

This was a very informative review of the Revel F226Be! Thank you for taking the time to go in depth with all of the measurements. I am definitely between this and the F208 depending on what kind of deal is available. I like the fact that these are a neutral speaker so there won't be any brightness in content. Would dialogue be clearer with these over the F208s for movies? We mainly do home theater. Also, would the M126Be be good for surround duties to pair with these? Thanks!

Sonny1

Watching the hipster New Record Day reviews makes me appreciate ASR and Erin’s Audio Corner more than ever. These types of review (seems like a nice enough person) are all too common. He knows a few buzzwords and sprinkles them throughout his reviews. His voice has a calming Mr. Rogers quality to it. Much more relaxing than, say, my voice.

Sadly, most people eat that stuff up like gravy. I feel sorry for anyone who accepts the advice the subjective reviewer crowd is all too willing to provide. How else can they sell tube connectors and $3000 power cords?

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Please don’t post that stuff in my review thread. It doesn’t help anything. I ask you to post that in its own thread.

Not trying to be a dick about it. But if you don’t like what they are doing, why share it and give them more views? Instead, share one of my videos. Like the one I did last night with a legitimate speaker designer where we talk about measurements and design goals. ;)

Last edited:

Emanuele74

Please don’t post that stuff in my review thread. It doesn’t help anything. I ask you to post that in its own thread.

Not trying to be a dick about it. But if you don’t like what they are doing, why share it and give them more views? Instead, share one of my videos. Like the one I did last night with a legitimate speaker designer where we talk about measurements and design goals. ;)

I' ve deleted the post, Erin.
You are right is out of topic.
Will open a dedicated topic on Youtuber :)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I' ve deleted the post, Erin.
You are right is out of topic.
Will open a dedicated topic on Youtuber :)

No worries.
Thanks for understanding.

edit: Feel free to start a thread with any of my YT videos, too. Makes more sense to spread something you dig than something you don’t agree with. :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a very limited question regarding your subjective impression of the F 226be. Erin, did you find you liked the Revel's wider horizontal directivity more than other narrow directivity designs such as the Kef R3's and the D&D 8cs? If so, how much does that aspect weight your subjective preference for one speaker over the other?

Top Bottom