• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you beat my option? KEF LS50 Wireless II + SVS SB-2000 Pro

OP
V

Vahidhm

I'm very similar to you. I have LS 50 Metas + and SB 2000 + a Purifi Eigentact + and Octo 8 Pro + PC with Dirac Live Multichannel + LS 50 (original) surrounds. Personally, I prefer the stand alone speakers b/c I don't have to worry about electronic failure taking the whole system down plus my DSP will be better with PC based multi channel Dirac Live which I consider to be one of the gold standard DSP systems.

Additionally, having stand alone speakers more readily allows the system do double duty as both a two channel music reproducer, and a multi channel home theater. Having put that out there, I wouldn't feel comfortable using LS 50s if I had a larger room. My room is only 12 X 12 x 8, so the smaller monitor type speakers fit my use case. YMMV.
Thank you for your comments.

OP
V

Vahidhm

I was in a very similar situation as you, except needed an analogue source. I ended up going with the KEF WII, I spent a lot of time researching separates and they were appealing, but WII seemed like a great value compared to $1,500 passive metas then finding sufficient amplification, streaming, etc. within a similar budget.

They sound great, but be warned, you may have some frustrating times with connectivity and the app. I have a Samsung tv, it's ARC function worked with Klisph the Fives, but not with my WII's. They had a firmware update to improve ARC connectivity with LG and Sony tvs, maybe Samsung is in the pipeline.

If you're prepared to occasionally reset your speakers, app, and router, and fiddle with that stuff, you'll probably be fine. But just be aware.

The new Bluesound NODE which now had HDMI eARC paired with some powered/active speakers might be a nice alternative as well.
Very good points. I should just rely on my luck for these type of connectivity issues with TV. I have seen that the new node and powernode are relased and I am thinking about it too. The new node + NC252 power amp would be an option (it won't have the chromecast built in feature) but other features are covered. The question that is New node + Hypex nc252 amp + LS50 meta have a better sound or the LS50 WII remains and really hard to answer

OP
V

Vahidhm

KEF LS50W II has a phone app that will help you with the subwoofer integration. Just use LFE input on the sub. They will go loud enough with the sub if you don't have a lot of furniture, drapes, and carpet all over the place. Maybe not loud for the party but loud enough for normal listening. :)
That's all I need and appreciate your comment

OP
V

Vahidhm

I'm biased and no hate for anybody that uses the LS50 and love it. The KEF LS50's I heard (not the wireless version) sounded like mediocre speakers to me. Rolled off treble, congested sound, muddy bass. Not necessarily the worst I've heard, but definitely near the bottom tier. To be honest, if somebody paid me, I wouldn't use them. For instance I thought the (vastly cheaper but discontinued) Emotiva airmotiv 5s sounded so much better and did about the same volume wise. For subs, if you can go dual subs. I like the PSA subs I've heard. SVS is probably fine too :)
Thank you for sharing the experience. I kept the ELAC DBR62 or Revel M105 as my options too. In case the KEF speakers turned out not pleasing, but I just need to buy and listen to them to know.

OP
V

Vahidhm

I would get the best subwoofer that you can afford right now…and save up for 1 year to get the same model.

Also, great to see my spreadsheet helping.
I really like your spreadsheet. It is amazing. the speakers comparison tools through colab python code is also amazing

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One consideration is to find a way to get two subs instead of 1. Two SVS SB 1000 or similar options from Rythmik. There are other good options too that are less expensive ($400 ea) to stay at your budget. The RSL 10" Speedwoofer gets good objective reviews at $400 each, for example.
This will give you more even bass in your room and potentially more headroom for the KEFs. Not sure if you can set the cross over in the active KEFS, but you might be able to go to 100 Hz or higher and see how it sounds.

But... there is no stereo sub out on the kefs. so bass will stay mono.

OP
V

Vahidhm

You will not get LFE channel without the AVR
I am not the expert here but as far as I know, the subwoofer output of the KEF LS50 W II is a mono signal and user can control the High pass filter and the Low pass filters via the KEF APP. Isn't it what meant by LFE channel?
ss.JPG

ivayvr

I would stay away from LS50W. If it was available as a powered speaker only, I would definitely consider it. With the speed technology is changing, you are putting all your eggs in a single basket. It may become obsolete quickly and you will be stuck with what it is. At one point I was very keen about getting the KEF LSX, I really liked the sound of it. I figured that I will be taking too much risk because of it's complexity (or flexibility) and gave up on it. I also read that the app is not very user friendly and reliable.
You can buy some very decent powered speakers that are just that and use the newest Bluesound Node for a pre amp/hub. If anything goes wrong it should be much simpler to fix the problem in that configuration. You can also use it wired or wireless with a proven app and decent support. On the minus side Node has only one sub out (if that matters).

OP
V

Vahidhm

But... there is no stereo sub out on the kefs. so bass will stay mono.
I have not seen or heard the "Stereo sub out " anywhere and not seen it on any devices. The idea behind it also sounds not right to me. Most people use their system with one subwoofer and it is mono (it should be). BTW, there are total of two subwoofer output on LS50 W II speakers [One output on the left speaker and another one on the right speaker] I think they are both mono and It should be fine I think. Let me know what I am missing here

bo_knows

Thank you for sharing the experience. I kept the ELAC DBR62 or Revel M105 as my options too. In case the KEF speakers turned out not pleasing, but I just need to buy and listen to them to know.
If you like the KEF sound, I can't see you going wrong with KEF LS50 wireless II. I own the original version and use them daily for TV and background music. It's a first speaker that just stops my analytical mind and lets me just enjoy the music no matter where I'm and what I'm doing (the living room is connected with the kitchen). The human voice, vocals is good as it gets. I assume that is a big part of why the original product ended in the Stereophile Class A category. As far as owning the active speaker, worry not. I had an issue with my set and KEF took care of me (minus shipping cost to them), their support for the LS50 product is second to none. ;)

Senior NEET Engineer

I am not the expert here but as far as I know, the subwoofer output of the KEF LS50 W II is a mono signal and user can control the High pass filter and the Low pass filters via the KEF APP. Isn't it what meant by LFE channel?
View attachment 134807

The LFE channel is the ".1" in audio mix. When you downmix 5.1 or 7.1 to stereo, the LFE channel will usually be dropped.

OP
V

Vahidhm

I would stay away from LS50W. If it was available as a powered speaker only, I would definitely consider it. With the speed technology is changing, you are putting all your eggs in a single basket. It may become obsolete quickly and you will be stuck with what it is. At one point I was very keen about getting the KEF LSX, I really liked the sound of it. I figured that I will be taking too much risk because of it's complexity (or flexibility) and gave up on it. I also read that the app is not very user friendly and reliable.
You can buy some very decent powered speakers that are just that and use the newest Bluesound Node for a pre amp/hub. If anything goes wrong it should be much simpler to fix the problem in that configuration. You can also use it wired or wireless with a proven app and decent support. On the minus side Node has only one sub out (if that matters).
Thank you for your comment. You have a valid point. There is a risk with the active closed systems. Without a doubt there will be significantly better amplifiers (better sound quality with cheaper prices), better DACs and DSPs in the next few years. Passive systems are easier to upgrade and more flexible. Node with passive speakers and a power amp is my second option and it seems that it could be the better option.
In terms of the app, majority of the interactions I am going to have with the system is going to be through the streaming apps like Spotify, Tidal, or maybe Roon one day so there won't be extensive interactions with the KEF app. So I am not worried about it that much

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
I think you are right, I may not said it correctly. Two sb1000 in placed correctly most likely outperform one sb2000. The overall bass experience would be more smooth and uniform, however the 2000 would be better for lower frequencies that can not be produced by the 1000s View attachment 134773

It can depend on your room modes, I believe. I have a large well-used living and listening space and my room modes amplify stuff in the 20 hz and below range such that if I don’t smooth out (attenuate) the room modes and the way they amplify the lowest frequencies from my SB1000s a pin drop can sound like a nuclear explosion.

I‘m not expert, just talking from experience with SB1000s, REW, and a umik-1. :)

OP
V

Vahidhm

The LFE channel is the ".1" in audio mix. When you downmix 5.1 or 7.1 to stereo, the LFE channel will usually be dropped.
very good point. I really don't know what is the procedure when audio down mixes from 5.1 or 7.1 to stereo or stereo.1 in a typical AVR. whether it pulls out the .1 portion and sends it out directly to the sub (Sounds like a good idea) or it mixes down everything like a noodle soup and then tries to separate the noodles from the broth and send them to the added subwoofer and if there would be any meaningful difference between the final results.
with non AVR systems I think everything is going to be downmixed to stereo by TV which has no idea about the subwoofer down the line so It will mash the soup thoroughly and sends it to the poor DAC or Preamp or DSP and it is up to that dude to separate the noodles from this mixture. Therefore, yes for the movie experience the subwoofer would not receive a direct dedicated signal and should try its best with whatever DAC gives to him and that should be fine because movies are not my main priority. But honestly I don't know how bad or good or fine it would be

AudioSQ

I prefer DIY, especially for subs, but I'd be real keen on trying the new Elac Uni-fi References.

OP
V

Vahidhm

Genelec 8330A $1600
SB2000 pro $800
Denon 3600h

Thank you so much for your very practical option. It does cover all features I need and it seems that the speakers are like a gem (ugly gem if there is a thing :D) . The main question that I can not answer is AVR or No AVR! I wish someone against the AVRs for music could explain the reasons. Is it all about that THD+Noise or there is something else I am missing.

I will have a very hard time convincing my wife about that speaker aesthetics though :facepalm:

OP
V

Vahidhm

It can depend on your room modes, I believe. I have a large well-used living and listening space and my room modes amplify stuff in the 20 hz and below range such that if I don’t smooth out (attenuate) the room modes and the way they amplify the lowest frequencies from my SB1000s a pin drop can sound like a nuclear explosion.

I‘m not expert, just talking from experience with SB1000s, REW, and a umik-1. :)

It seems that buying the system is just the beginning. I am sure I will be back to this forum with more questions about all of these subwoofer stuff.

Top Bottom