• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Barefoot Footprint 01 Review (Studio Monitor)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually I find that I can guess the Olive score pretty well within reason based on looking at the spinorama. Looking at this(6.0) side by side with the JBL 708p(5.0/4.9), I wouldn't have correctly guessed a full 1 point difference between them. If anything, I may have very wrongly guessed the JBL a little higher. It's not just extension, either, as the Footprint still beats the 708 when bass is equalized via subwoofers.

Side by side: (Barefoot left, JBL Right)
Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 3.04.38 PM-min (1).png

I'm guessing the formula really hates the rising response(that's not narrowing) from 1.5-7kHz on the JBL? I'm curious what others think. Which one looks better to you, both with and without subs? Genuine question.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
708 without a doubt for me. Being CD in the 1~6 kHz band is very important and the JBL is from 1.5 kHz onward. That major Barefoot resonance being in that band also makes me choose against it.
Directivity and even on-axis is generally cleaner too, the lack of early tweeter beaming of course appreciable.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Usually I find that I can guess the Olive score pretty well within reason based on looking at the spinorama. Looking at this(6.0) side by side with the JBL 708p(5.0/4.9), I wouldn't have correctly guessed a full 1 point difference between them. If anything, I may have very wrongly guessed the JBL a little higher. It's not just extension, either, as the Footprint still beats the 708 when bass is equalized via subwoofers.

Side by side: (Barefoot left, JBL Right)
View attachment 132287

I'm guessing the formula really hates the rising response(that's not narrowing) from 1.5-7kHz on the JBL? I'm curious what others think. Which one looks better to you, both with and without subs? Genuine question.
I do kind of understand that, for unevenness, their troubled peak+dip combo in the cross over region have a similar magnitude, and the JBL peaked a bit at the uppermost octave, plues 10hz lower bass extension so on axis it's understandable that the barefoot should sound better, as the +/-5db combined narrow peaking wouldn't be too noticeable in music but bass extension is noticeable, and elevated highs sometimes cause fatiguing sound.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Which one looks better to you
On paper, the JBL seems to have a slight edge. In the real world... no way to decide without actual listening test, with full and proper DRC at the listening position (!!). This will seperate the wheat from the chaff, expose how the speaker really sounds, everthing else is useless armchair reasoning. IMHO, of course, and YMMV.

Last edited:

JustIntonation

Barefoot Footprint 01 Measurements
As usual we start with our spin frequency response measurements:

View attachment 130601

View attachment 130604

I was surprised bass distortion was not better than it is:

View attachment 130612

View attachment 130613

Had a look at the bass distortion again and I think I see the problems.
First of all the woofers are in a much too small internal enclosure, they have less than 9 liter per woofer. And the woofers themselves have a weak motor.

But still mostly the high distortion in the bass is because of measurement problems.
If you look at the SPL of the distortion measurements you can see that the bass is down by over 6 to 8dB (much more if you judge it relative to the in-room response which has the opposite: a significant bass boost). While the harmonics of the distortion below 100Hz fall above 100Hz where there is a boost in the distortion measurements SPL. All in all there's 10dB or more skewing of the distortion measurements below 100Hz. That is significant.
I don't know what's the cause for the bad measurements of distortion, perhaps room issues in the garage in combination with using the mic quite close to the front baffle while the woofers sit more back? But the result is clearly not a good indication of the speaker's performance below 100Hz in real use distortion wise.

YSC

Major Contributor
Had a look at the bass distortion again and I think I see the problems.
First of all the woofers are in a much too small internal enclosure, they have less than 9 liter per woofer. And the woofers themselves have a weak motor.

But still mostly the high distortion in the bass is because of measurement problems.
If you look at the SPL of the distortion measurements you can see that the bass is down by over 6 to 8dB (much more if you judge it relative to the in-room response which has the opposite: a significant bass boost). While the harmonics of the distortion below 100Hz fall above 100Hz where there is a boost in the distortion measurements SPL. All in all there's 10dB or more skewing of the distortion measurements below 100Hz. That is significant.
I don't know what's the cause for the bad measurements of distortion, perhaps room issues in the garage in combination with using the mic quite close to the front baffle while the woofers sit more back? But the result is clearly not a good indication of the speaker's performance below 100Hz in real use distortion wise.
I am not quite convinced by the distortion arguement... Remember this is anechoic measurement data, which the 96db distortion graph should be presented in anechoic condition also, if you want to compare real world use then too much uncertainties comes into play at all frequency range.

And more importantly, all measurements here use the same presentation style, so if it's worse than IRL, all competitions where we compare the graphs are suffering from same assumption, so after all it's still valid comparison, if A speaker measures 5% at 50hz and B speaker got 1% at same anechoic condition, B is better than A at 50hz

JustIntonation

I am not quite convinced by the distortion arguement... Remember this is anechoic measurement data, which the 96db distortion graph should be presented in anechoic condition also, if you want to compare real world use then too much uncertainties comes into play at all frequency range.

And more importantly, all measurements here use the same presentation style, so if it's worse than IRL, all competitions where we compare the graphs are suffering from same assumption, so after all it's still valid comparison, if A speaker measures 5% at 50hz and B speaker got 1% at same anechoic condition, B is better than A at 50hz
No only the frequency response on and off-axis are from anechoic data. The distortion measurements are not anechoic and as you can see the SPL reading of the fundamental for the distortion measurements is completely different from the anechoic measurements in this case.

And no, it's not a valid comparison as other measurements do not show this big a discrepancy between distortion measurements fundamental SPL and Klippel anechoic measurements SPL. Likely due to the side firing woofers of the Footprint 01.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My old speaker, the JBL 4367, measured .5% distortion at 31hz at 95dB SPL. And obviously even lower above that. I’ve wondered if that contributed to its “squeaky clean” and “extra dry” sounding bass, which I always thought was so clean sounding.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think it’s the wide constant dispersion that hurts JBL on the Olive score. The PIR (IMO not an important metric, but highly overvalued here) does not slope down as much as the model likes as a result.

As for which looks better to me, I own a variant of the JBL and would not consider any speaker with the Vifa/Tymphany/ScanSpeak ring radiator tweeter geometry on a flat waveguide. I take the points made by @napilopez earlier but just personally do not like the effect of beaming treble from this geometry. I prefer a more homogeneous sound through the room than these tweeters can provide when mounted in a flat waveguide. On a contoured waveguide they can be very nice tweeters though.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
THank you so much for donating! I was VERY VERY Curious about these speakers. I ended up with Genelec 8030cs with an SVS SB2000 sub. I'm VERY happy so far.
What's the optimal distance from the 8030c when having a sub as well?

BlacklightBully

Well this is my first post and I’m sure it won’t win me any friends here, but it has to be said.

I’ve been a full time audio engineer for six years, I work as a live sound engineer on a very large d&b rig, so I like to think that I have some knowledge about what sounds good. (At least I’ve convinced my employer of that anyway) I have always wanted to have my own home studio and have just about finished this project. The treatment is all done except for the acoustic cloud. In celebration of this milestone I started researching which studio monitors I wanted to purchase.

I drove to Vintage King in Nashville to demo studio monitors in February. Having done my research I asked if they had the Neumann KH 310’s for me to hear but sadly they did not. I listened to every monitor they had down there and without a shadow of a doubt the very best speakers that I have ever heard in my entire life were the ATC speakers. Oh my God! There was not even a close second, it was a transcendent experience and an audio orgasm. The speakers were out of my price range though.

Fast forward to May and I bought some Footprint 02’s. One of the speakers arrived with a tweeter that didn’t work. I’ve read a surprising number of accounts of the Footprint’s having quality control issues. I listened to them anyway to get an idea of what I could. The upper mid range is certainly crunchy and I would suffer from fatigue working on them. The dynamics were incredible though. I had to move my computer monitor which was in between the two speakers to get them to behave correctly and this was a bit annoying. Obviously I sent them back because of the failed tweeter.

Due to the love from this site and others, I blindly purchased the Neumann KH 310’s. They arrived yesterday and I’ve been testing them. I’ve heard them called boring by some, and this is very true. I’m not saying boring means bad, it’s just the first impression they give compared to other speakers. They sound very good and I would not experience fatigue listening to these. I don’t doubt at all that these are very accurate. One thing I miss dearly from the Barefoot’s is the dynamic punch. The Neumann don’t compete at all in this area. Also, I’m having a hard time being able to separate the kick from the bass. The bass of the Neumann is good, but not mind blowing. The Barefoot were incredible at this.

I’m a little disappointed by the KH 310’s for now but plan to keep listening. They seem to get more enjoyable every hour I spend on them. One thing that makes me question the love they get on this forum is the absurdity of all the people who dismiss ATC speakers here. If I had the money I would have those in my studio and wouldn’t even think twice about it. I have to assume that those with negative things to say about ATC are just looking at data and have never heard them. I can’t imagine hearing those speakers and not immediately knowing you are in the presence of a masterpiece.

So there it is. My first post…

RobS

Forum Donor
I’m a little disappointed by the KH 310’s for now but plan to keep listening. They seem to get more enjoyable every hour I spend on them. One thing that makes me question the love they get on this forum is the absurdity of all the people who dismiss ATC speakers here. If I had the money I would have those in my studio and wouldn’t even think twice about it. I have to assume that those with negative things to say about ATC are just looking at data and have never heard them. I can’t imagine hearing those speakers and not immediately knowing you are in the presence of a masterpiece.

Welcome to the boards, I'm glad you posted here.

I don't agree with the ATC hatred here either. Their SL spec drivers, especially that coveted mid-dome (which is the greatest midrange driver in the world), are engineering feats that have yet to be surpassed by anyone. The one area you can criticize with ATC is the lack of extended bass until you pay $20k+ for the SCM150s. The tradeoff is ATC goes for the lowest amount of distortion in the bass. You just have to pay a ton of money for full range. ATC's rule at revealing every detail in a recording (and the electronics you feed them). These are not speakers you probably want to have if your recordings suck, unless you want to know how much they suck.

Not surprised you are missing the dynamic punch with KH310s. That's definitely something those speakers don't have.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Well this is my first post and I’m sure it won’t win me any friends here, but it has to be said.

I’ve been a full time audio engineer for six years, I work as a live sound engineer on a very large d&b rig, so I like to think that I have some knowledge about what sounds good. (At least I’ve convinced my employer of that anyway) I have always wanted to have my own home studio and have just about finished this project. The treatment is all done except for the acoustic cloud. In celebration of this milestone I started researching which studio monitors I wanted to purchase.

I drove to Vintage King in Nashville to demo studio monitors in February. Having done my research I asked if they had the Neumann KH 310’s for me to hear but sadly they did not. I listened to every monitor they had down there and without a shadow of a doubt the very best speakers that I have ever heard in my entire life were the ATC speakers. Oh my God! There was not even a close second, it was a transcendent experience and an audio orgasm. The speakers were out of my price range though.

Fast forward to May and I bought some Footprint 02’s. One of the speakers arrived with a tweeter that didn’t work. I’ve read a surprising number of accounts of the Footprint’s having quality control issues. I listened to them anyway to get an idea of what I could. The upper mid range is certainly crunchy and I would suffer from fatigue working on them. The dynamics were incredible though. I had to move my computer monitor which was in between the two speakers to get them to behave correctly and this was a bit annoying. Obviously I sent them back because of the failed tweeter.

Due to the love from this site and others, I blindly purchased the Neumann KH 310’s. They arrived yesterday and I’ve been testing them. I’ve heard them called boring by some, and this is very true. I’m not saying boring means bad, it’s just the first impression they give compared to other speakers. They sound very good and I would not experience fatigue listening to these. I don’t doubt at all that these are very accurate. One thing I miss dearly from the Barefoot’s is the dynamic punch. The Neumann don’t compete at all in this area. Also, I’m having a hard time being able to separate the kick from the bass. The bass of the Neumann is good, but not mind blowing. The Barefoot were incredible at this.

I spent some time working on a long-term project in a main control room with a pair of Dynaudio BM15As as mid-fields and a pair of very large Genelec 3-ways soffit-mounted near the ceiling. I could listen to the BM15As all day long and they always sounded musical and nonfatiguing no matter the source material while the Genelecs often sounded peaky, boxy, blanketed and at some point I gave up on trying to use them.

Guess who had to re-mix the entire project in a smaller room on a set of budget nearfields. :D The Dynaudios tricked me into thinking I had finished mixes when they still had a long way to go.

Speakers that make everything sound great are not what you want in a studio. For enjoyment and at a live concert, sure.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry, we can still be friends =]

As I always say: the data is useful to make a prediction of what you will like, and for recommending what others will like. But there's nothing wrong if you find yourself preferring a certain speaker that doesn't measure great, you have every right to enjoy it to the fullest. Just don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

(Well I would argue that for music creation one should definitely opt for something neutral if we ever want any hope of 'standardizing' acoustics like video, but for enjoyment, you like what you like).

Part of the problem with speakers that are less than neutral, especially if they have directivity issues, is that they'll also be more variable from room to room. So you may not find that magic in your own listening space. I don't have very much experience with sound engineering, but I test speakers (partly) for a living and I've been through several cycles of thinking some speakers were the greatest-thing-ever-of-all-time-forevermore only to eventually find they had a small advantage in positioning or sounded less remarkable over time.

What ATC speakers were they? I've only actually seen two ATC speaker measurements and while they weren't the best ever, they weren't awful either -- just not great for the price. I heard a pair of ATCs a few years ago and thought they were good but nothing crazy.

As for the KH310s, you might end up liking them, you might not. There is some acclimatization that happens, especially if you're coming from something less neutral, so perhaps that is what's happening now.

As a speaker reviewer who tests new speakers every month, I always like to keep in mind this quote from Dr Toole:

"How do listeners approach the problem of judging sound quality? Most likely the dimensions and criteria of subjective evaluation are traceable to a lifetime accumulation of experiences with live sound, even simple conversation. If we hear things in reproduced sound that do not occur in nature, or that defy some kind of perceptual logic, we seem to be able to identify it. By that standard, the best sounding audio product is the one that exhibits the fewest audible flaws."

Emphasis mine. The best speakers aren't the ones that seem to sound like god's own voice on a few songs and reveal things I've never heard before -- something often caused by deviations in the frequency response and which will inevitably cause problems in other tracks -- they're the ones with the least audible flaws.

I don't agree with the ATC hatred here either. Their SL spec drivers, especially that coveted mid-dome (which is the greatest midrange driver in the world), are engineering feats that have yet to be surpassed by anyone. The one area you can criticize with ATC is the lack of extended bass until you pay $20k+ for the SCM150s. The tradeoff is ATC goes for the lowest amount of distortion in the bass. You just have to pay a ton of money for full range. ATC's rule at revealing every detail in a recording (and the electronics you feed them). These are not speakers you probably want to have if your recordings suck, unless you want to know how much they suck.

Not surprised you are missing the dynamic punch with KH310s. That's definitely something those speakers don't have.

Well, it's because the ATCs we've seen don't measure that great for the prices being charged. In my book, they've ranged from 'okay' to 'pretty good.' So I'm definitely not surprised many people enjoy ATC speakers, even aside from the kind of cultish admiration they have. They also have the potential advantage of being wider directivity than many other studio options, a quality which on its own will make them sound 'different' compared to some of the more neutral speakers out there, and different often means 'good' upon a first impression. And many people prefer wider directivity in general (myself included).

But if you believe in the science of frequency response and directivity, the speaker measurements that matter the most, ATC's performance is not particularly remarkable. It doesn't really matter how great the drivers are if these aspects are not correct.

And as much as I think we should be 90% ignoring distortion performance, the distortion measurements for ATC speakers have not seemed completely remarkable either.

Last edited:

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I spent some time working on a long-term project in a main control room with a pair of Dynaudio BM15As as mid-fields and a pair of very large Genelec 3-ways soffit-mounted near the ceiling. I could listen to the BM15As all day long and they always sounded musical and nonfatiguing no matter the source material while the Genelecs often sounded peaky, boxy, blanketed and at some point I gave up on trying to use them.

Guess who had to re-mix the entire project in a smaller room on a set of budget nearfields. :D The Dynaudios tricked me into thinking I had finished mixes when they still had a long way to go.

Speakers that make everything sound great are not what you want in a studio. For enjoyment and at a live concert, sure.
As a Genelec and Neumann user for home audio this makes me want to add a pair of Dynaudio.

I have heard some pros using Genelec to work on the project and playing the final piece on Dynaudio for the client. If that was a norm I would seriously consider the Dynaudio to be an insurance option for home audio. Hey, if you can't beat the Circle of Confusion, join them. ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Having owned the FP01s and recently moved to the 310s, I do agree there is this sort of "softness" in the mids that the 310s have (which IMO makes them worth pairing with some kind of exaggerated midrangey speaker) but I trust them a lot more than I did the FP01s which were in hindsight really all over the place and caused me to make some rather weird mix decisions.

As for ATCs, I'd have loved to have a pair of SCM25As, but I'm not at the point where I can justify spending as much on speakers as a decent used car. That mid dome is something truly special.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
As a Genelec and Neumann user for home audio this makes me want to add a pair of Dynaudio.

I have heard some pros using Genelec to work on the project and playing the final piece on Dynaudio for the client. If that was a norm I would seriously consider the Dynaudio to be an insurance option for home audio. Hey, if you can't beat the Circle of Confusion, join them. ;)
While ASR hasn't measured any of the larger Dynaudios like the BM15/15A to my knowledge, I think it might be possible to draw a conclusion from the ones measured. I believe part of the Dynaudio house sound involves an intentional dip in the sensitivity range to remove harshness, like a BBC dip but at a lower 1.5-2.0 KHz frequency. The effect it has is an emphasis on midrange clarity and treble extension. It makes things sound "lush" or like there's some subtle midrange "bloom." I still like the speakers even though they lie. :) The smaller ones like BM5A/6A try too hard in the bass range, IMO, so I would stick with the 15s or similar.

Dip in 3 Dynaudio models tested by ASR:

index.php

index.php

index.php

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are lucky that your “tonality” is neutral. For many people flat frequency response is not good “tonality” — as it should be! There’s no “tone” to hear from the speakers, they are tone-less, in other words flat!

This reminded me a story. Back in the early 70s when Julian Vereker RIP had a small shop in Salisbury, hand building amplifiers, a guy from Australia visited him. (He was to become NAIM’s first dealer.) He was critiquing the NAP250 - Linn Isobaric system, Julian used as his demo, as toneless. Julian and I were good friends. I joined Julian to “wine & dine” the guy, so to speak, during the week he stayed in the UK. In order to prove him that Hi-Fi means nothing to be added to the recorded sound, we took him to the Royal Festival Hall in london to a LSO concert. I had the exact piece the LSO was to play on an LP. We played him the record and off we went to London. After the concert we asked him what he thinks? He said “too much highs, not enough bass” — for the concert sound!

The moral of the story: Most people don’t like Hi-Fi.
Westwood and Mason was an "esoteric" HiFi dealer in George Street, Oxford many years ago. I used to pop in for a chat and listen fairly often. One day one of the principles was complaining about the SQ of a concert he had been to at the Holywell Rooms (I think it was) the oldest concert hall in Europe!
He was mansplaining the problem with the stiffness of the stage and so forth.
It was pure bollox in my estimation, but I always enjoyed my chats there.

Top Bottom