• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Timbo2

Silent at idle, sounded fine playing music, and love how the display is bright when first powered up and then dims to a palatable level.

It will brighten every time the sample rate or format changes and go dim after some time around 30 seconds or so. Adds to the fun factor for me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As of this morning with the new D10, I no longer had any gaps during Tidal playback (no other changes to playback chain). Can a DAC even effect that, or is it just a welcome coincidence?
No, it is definitely possible. It depends on whether the media player opens and closes the device during these plays or not. If it does, the then latency to close and open the device can cause latency/glitches.

gvl

Major Contributor
For some reason Spotify was buggy as hell with the Topping D10. I had to change to another output device when booting Spotify, start a song and then select the Topping D10 again to get proper audio. Songs just wouldn't start playing with the D10 as the playback device. This while Windows 10 itself had no problems sending sound to the D10.

Installing the drivers provided by Topping fixed this behaviour. However, now I'm limited to 32bit 192kHz (in the properties - advanced - default format in the sound settings in Windows 10 64bit) from 32bit 384kHz, but that's not an issue for me. I'm already happy Spotify works properly again.

Edit:
All Drivers: http://en.tpdz.net/drivers.html
D10 Driver page: http://en.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=60.html
Which links to Dropbox (because bandwidth is expensive?): https://www.dropbox.com/s/laf9heiphv8glfj/D10 Manual and Driver.zip?dl=0

The default format is best to be set at 44.1kHz for Spotify anyway.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, it is definitely possible. It depends on whether the media player opens and closes the device during these plays or not. If it does, the then latency to close and open the device can cause latency/glitches.
Interesting. So the first DAC (Schiit Modi) did not have gapless playback, while the second DAC (Topping D10) does have gapless playback (both on the same LibreElec Kodi media player, with no other changes other than selecting the appropriate ALSA sound device).

Timbo2

Interesting. So the first DAC (Schiit Modi) did not have gapless playback, while the second DAC (Topping D10) does have gapless playback (both on the same LibreElec Kodi media player, with no other changes other than selecting the appropriate ALSA sound device).

Wow... You confirmed this and it is repeatable? Schiit is living up to its reputation here. I have no issues with gapless playback on Kodi (Windows) with either the D10 or my Sabaj Da3. Both DACs are using Thesycon based drivers.

rvsixer

Wow... You confirmed this and it is repeatable?
Negative. As mentioned Tidal had always had playback gaps in between tracks with the Schiit, and after swapping in the D10 I no longer see this issue (keeping in mind I have only had two Tidal listening sessions since the swap). Hopefully this weekend I will have some time to investigate further before blaming the Schiit, maybe I will find it was a setting difference or operator error, but for now I am just happy to have gapless playback :) .

rvsixer

Hopefully this weekend I will have some time to investigate further before blaming the Schiit, maybe I will find it was a setting difference or operator error, but for now I am just happy to have gapless playback :) .

Update: I can no longer reproduce the Tidal playback gap issue, with either the Schiit or the Topping DAC's. So not sure what was causing it 100% of the time until I switched in the D10, and since that time I have gapless playback with either DAC.

kevin8715

Just a fyi for anyone looking to purchase one. Sellers on Ebay occasionally drop the price on it to $78 or around that. Ebay itself also sometimes gives it coupons to use on the majority of items. A coupon dropped and a seller dropped the priced to $78, ended up buying one at $63. To automate searching for a deal process, just use the watch feature on the sellers selling multiples and good ratings. If you have notifications enabled, Ebay will email you when one seller price drops and hopefully you get lucky and have a coupon also.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Update: I can no longer reproduce the Tidal playback gap issue, with either the Schiit or the Topping DAC's. So not sure what was causing it 100% of the time until I switched in the D10, and since that time I have gapless playback with either DAC.

It was not DAC related - both DACs were receiving the same stream from the player and that stream was either gapless or not.

vtiwari

Hi,

Would the D10 work with Android devices via a USB Y OTG cable? Has anyone here tried?

I attempted to create my own USB Y cable with data and power coming from 2 separate usb A connections and it works fine when used with laptop. But it does not work with my mobile.

Upon further reading online, found out the OTG connection also needs the power pins connected from the other part of the Y cable carrying just power. But I am not sure if I shud be trying that with my almost negligible knowledge of electronics and the risk to damage either my phone or DAC or both.

any suggestions?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hi,

Would the D10 work with Android devices via a USB Y OTG cable? Has anyone here tried?

I attempted to create my own USB Y cable with data and power coming from 2 separate usb A connections and it works fine when used with laptop. But it does not work with my mobile.

Upon further reading online, found out the OTG connection also needs the power pins connected from the other part of the Y cable carrying just power. But I am not sure if I shud be trying that with my almost negligible knowledge of electronics and the risk to damage either my phone or DAC or both.

any suggestions?

I think it should work, but not with USB Y OTG cable.

Assuming your android device is a phone or tablet you need an OTG cable like this one:
https://www.google.hr/imgres?imgurl=https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61IRph9lQbL._SL1500_.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOFRED%C2%AE-Micro-Samsung-Galaxy-Archos-Toshiba/dp/B00EMSN7IS&docid=ipEjPRdU1aFqWM&tbnid=Fvv-2VFgF1uvGM:&vet=10ahUKEwjegv68gZrbAhWL_qQKHVzwBZwQMwi-ASgGMAY..i&w=1500&h=1500&bih=712&biw=1518&q=usb otg cable&ved=0ahUKEwjegv68gZrbAhWL_qQKHVzwBZwQMwi-ASgGMAY&iact=mrc&uact=8

and standard USB cable like this one:
https://www.google.hr/imgres?imgurl=https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1PRDGQVXXXXaeaFXXq6xXFXXXr/Anti-interference-high-quality-short-20cm-A-Male-to-B-Male-USB2-0-Printer-Cable-Line.jpg_640x640.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anti-interference-high-quality-short-20cm-A-Male-to-B-Male-USB2-0-Printer-Cable-Line/32809052856.html&docid=oYsCmIkU0tD51M&tbnid=_Zq_5U2dxQDL4M:&vet=10ahUKEwjCzeTcgZrbAhWLr6QKHWjADRwQMwg2KAAwAA..i&w=640&h=600&bih=712&biw=1518&q=usb male to usb printer short cable&ved=0ahUKEwjCzeTcgZrbAhWLr6QKHWjADRwQMwg2KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Connect those 2 cables in series and you have your cable that should work.

gvl

Major Contributor
Connect those 2 cables in series and you have your cable that should work.

Chances are an Android device cannot povide current necessary for the D10.

Hi,

any suggestions?

Just put a powered USB hub in between. Cheers.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Both DAC’s were certainly NOT receiving the same stream, since they were NOT connected at the same time.

I wanted to say that both DACs were receiving the stream from the same source. In general, DACs are not responsible for gapless playing - they merely play what they get from the player app. If the stream is closed and reopened between the 2 songs, as @amirm mentioned, it is again the player app which is forcing the DAC to do so.

Last edited:

rvsixer

I wanted to say that both DACs were receiving the stream from the same source. In general, DACs are not responsible for gapless playing - they merely play what they get from the player app. If the stream is closed and reopened between the 2 songs, as @amirm mentioned, it is again the player app which is forcing the DAC to do so.
Yes, this has all been covered already.

Nesty

Hello, this my 1st post as I just joined the group. I plan to buy D10, I wanted to ask for those who attempted to op amp roll. How many op amps inside are rollable which were provided ic sockets by topping? thanks in advance.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom