• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

KSTR

Major Contributor
Just a thought: The phase shift/distortion introduced by countless reflexions, in an average listening room, will probably be way above the "sins" of the audio chain. A little "chaos" may not be audible, the sum of it probably will.
But, even if the audio chain could be made absolutely perfect, it wouldn't help too much in that average room.

Ceterum censeo: treating the room beats reasoning about audibility in ideal conditions.
IME, effects of phase distortion are audible even in only moderately treated rooms. It can be seen as an overall change of the source signal and, for example, the change of timbre of LF content with strong even order harmonics (bass guitar) is there no matter how bad your room modes might be. It's just a bit harder to pinpoint, up to the point of hopelessness when you live in a hall of mirrors, of course.

aasearles

Forum Donor
Amir, great explanation, and interesting. Thanks!

In my experience with building passive crossovers, I've noticed phase shifts can result in variances (boost/cancelation) in frequency response of a multi-way system (relative phase to different drivers). This can be compensated for by adjusting the crossover points, or using other methods to flatten out the FR, but those phase shifts still remain.

Question: is physically time-aligning of speaker drivers' voice coils done more or less for the same reason? - for flatter FR? - or are there other advantages to having drivers be positioned in correct relative phase?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there an exception to this in bass? I try to correct for phase in the higher frequencies in my home made speakers, but you might be right and it might not matter, the differences are very small. However, in the bass, it is very very clear. In phase and out of phase makes a measurable difference in dB. Ever set up a subwoofer with a phase setting?
I don't know if what I'm about to say is a similar phenomenon to what you're saying, but in some of my headphone EQ experiences there was one time I put in a sharp High Pass Filter at around 25Hz, and I noticed the clipping meter detection in PEACE was coming on in on some bass heavy & dense tracks even though all the boosts of the Total EQ Curve was covered & accounted for with a negative preamp - I found I needed a couple/few dB more negative preamp than I mathematically would require to prevent clipping meter detection. What I think was happening is that the bass was rolling off so quickly that it was causing phase shift that was shifting bass peaks in the music from what should have been different points in times to overlap with each other & thereby boosting the peaks further than would be expected otherwise. I find phase difficult to understand, so I might have not fully pictured the mechanism, but I believe it may have some overlap with the point you bring up.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Amazing video! Thanks!

I am curious how this applies to high end dsp / digital room corrections. As it seems like Dirac and other high end DRC really stress that they use FIR and IIR filters to help with the phase of each speaker. I get how having symmetrical phase in the L and R speaker is important (just wire one of your speakers out of phase to see the effect). But my understanding is that as long as both speakers have the same phase then its ok and not worth chasing (which this video also agrees with). So is there any utility to high end room correction and their focus on phase? Or what am I missing about DRC when they talk about phase correction?

Much like @KSTR has said already. However, I would like to add one major difference when it comes to DSP/DRC and the use of FIR filtering especially at low frequencies in rooms. Unlike "most" DSP/DRC software for rooms, Acourate, Audiolense and Focus Fidelity (plus Denis open source DRC) provide excess phase correction at low frequencies. Which I contend is audible in the sense of the bass response not being clear sounding, aside from regular room modes.

While room modes are mostly minimum phase, there are low frequency room reflections that are not minimum phase. A good explanation is John Mulcahy's doc on minimum phase and section on, "a common cause of non-minimum phase behavior in rooms." Here is a practical example of that in my room using a 3 way stereo triamped system looking at the step response:

Maximmum phase.jpeg

It is a little hard to read as we are seeing the responses of the individual drivers. First the treble arrives, then the bass/midrange driver and finally the subs, inverted phase to boot. See the part marked maximum phase? This is where low frequencies from sub have added together in the room to produce a huge peak that is higher in amplitude than the direct sound. How do we hear that? It is heard as unclear bass response as we are getting the cue from the direct sound and then a larger cue many milliseconds after the direct sound has arrived. Aside from large specialized bass traps (i.e. Helmholtz resonators) the "only" way to fix this is through the use of using excess phase correction which is "only" available through FIR filtering. IIR filters do not have the capability of excess phase correction.

With the large number of FIR taps required (65,536 or even 131,072 taps) for excess phase correction at low frequencies results in latency, typically around 3/4 of a second. This is one of the reasons why you see other DSP/DRC software use IIR filters at low frequencies so they don't have to deal with the latency issue, especially if the application of DRC is for movies where lip synch is the issue. However, players like JRiver can account for that and delay the video by the calculated FIR delay. The other reason that you don't see FIR filtering at low frequencies in h/w devices is that the DSP chips aboard have a real limitation in the number of FIR filter taps available. Typically 1024 or 2048 taps per channel which translates from a FIR filtering perspective to having 2 bands or eq below 100 Hz. Not very effective, especially where you need it the most.

Aside from the time alignment of drivers from my example above and using linear phase digital XO's so they sum properly in both the frequency and time domain, we see a cleaned up (textbook) step response. No more maximum phase peak:

JBL 4722 F18 step response.jpg

The result is not only smooth bass, but bass that is crystal clear. That is the big difference between IIR DSP/DRC versus SOTA software like I mentioned above. Not only is the proof in the listening, but also consider this measurement at the listening position of the same system:

JBL 4722 F18 in-room FR at 9ft.jpg

This is using REW with the default 500ms window letting all of the reflections in and no smoothing. I am using a FIR filter with 800ms of excess phase correction at 10 Hz which becomes progressively less as we move up in frequency, past Schroeder and into the diffusion zone and then not correcting any room reflections past that. See how the bass phase response is flat up to about 4 x my Schroeder frequency? This is because there are no low frequency reflections messing up the clarity of the bass at the listening position, aside from the smooth magnitude response.

Based on my testing and listening of DSP/DRC products over the past 10 years, there are very few software products that actually do this right and can produce the result you see above. While FIR filtering may be too processor intensive for AVR's and PrePro's (aside from the DSP chip limitation of how large a FIR filter can be hosted), a low power PC like an i3 2 GHz processor works just fine.

Pro tip: if you want the very best bass response from your system, use DSP/DRC software that is capable of providing excess phase correction at low frequencies.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Is there an exception to this in bass? I try to correct for phase in the higher frequencies in my home made speakers, but you might be right and it might not matter, the differences are very small. However, in the bass, it is very very clear. In phase and out of phase makes a measurable difference in dB. Ever set up a subwoofer with a phase setting?
In that case it DOES matter. It matters when there phase is a phase shift is RELATIVE to another signal (when the sub and regular speaker both reproducing the same frequency). If you're testing the subwoofer alone you shouldn't hear a difference when you switch the phase/polarity.

If you reverse the connections to one of your stereo speakers you'll get "weird" results as the soundwaves cancel and if they are full range speakers the bass will be almost completely canceled. If you flip the polarity/phase of both speakers they will sound normal.

The bass will cancel similarly if the woofer and subwoofer are 180 degrees out-of-phase when they are reproducing the same frequency at the same amplitude (at the crossover point).

Adding a short delay creates a phase shift (greater angle at higher frequencies) but it's inaudible unless the shift is relative to something, like if you only delay/phase-shift one stereo channel.

If you have multiple tweeters, the distance between tweeters can cause phase-problems. That's why multiple tweeters are usually stacked. If they are side-by-side the angle (and distance) changes as you move around the room and you can get different phase interactions at different listening positions.

PeteL

Major Contributor
In that case it DOES matter. It matters when there phase is a phase shift is RELATIVE to another signal (when the sub and regular speaker both reproducing the same frequency). If you're testing the subwoofer alone you shouldn't hear a difference when you switch the phase/polarity.

If you reverse the connections to one of your stereo speakers you'll get "weird" results as the soundwaves cancel and if they are full range speakers the bass will be almost completely canceled. If you flip the polarity/phase of both speakers they will sound normal.

The bass will cancel similarly if the woofer and subwoofer are 180 degrees out-of-phase when they are reproducing the same frequency at the same amplitude (at the crossover point).

Adding a short delay creates a phase shift (greater angle at higher frequencies) but it's inaudible unless the shift is relative to something, like if you only delay/phase-shift one stereo channel.

If you have multiple tweeters, the distance between tweeters can cause phase-problems. That's why multiple tweeters are usually stacked. If they are side-by-side the angle (and distance) changes as you move around the room and you can get different phase interactions at different listening positions.
Sure but same argument goes for the crossover point in a 2 way speaker, there's a filter there, there is phase shift and both the tweeter and the woofer plays the same signal at crossover point, the question is should we care or not about phase coherence. What I get from the video is, we should not care. But speaker manufacturers do care.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have not looked at the video yet but is this about all types of phase distortions including absolute phase?

JoostE

yeah this is what I am talking about. Should be added to the video imho.

I use a mini DSP for active x-over. And in my experience phase has an effect. This video seemed to contradict that.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Have not looked at the video yet but is this about all types of phase distortions including absolute phase?
Absolute phase is a misnomer, but yes, a polarity flip is audible, too. Again notably in the timbre of certain bass notes. And IME it is most audible when the system is DRC'd to linear phase.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolute phase is a misnomer, but yes, a polarity flip is audible, too. Again notably in the timbre of certain bass notes. And IME it is most audible when the system is DRC'd to linear phase.

Yes I am aware of that. Headphone use and certain signals are audibly different when flipped. But it is a special case I would say.

aasearles

Forum Donor
Yes I am aware of that. Headphone use and certain signals are audibly different when flipped. But it is a special case I would say.
I understand at the moment the signal phase (entire system) is flipped the switching may be audible, but listening to 0° and 180° samples (entire system) should sound identical. This would make for an interesting blind AB comparison.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In my experience with building passive crossovers, I've noticed phase shifts can result in variances (boost/cancelation) in frequency response of a multi-way system (relative phase to different drivers). This can be compensated for by adjusting the crossover points, or using other methods to flatten out the FR, but those phase shifts still remain.
Of course phase is an important thing in designing crossovers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
yeah this is what I am talking about. Should be added to the video imho.
I was very clear in the video on this. That phase can matter if you understand the context of the discussion, e.g. sub versus main blending, etc. The purpose of video was specific to Paul's video which had nothing to do with this.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You do that test the other way round. Take a system with proper "full-blown DRC" and resulting smooth FR and flat phase response from each speaker. Then introduce a analytically calculated phase distortion which mimics for example the phase rotations from a typical 3-way passive speaker. This can then be A/B tested (or ABX) and then most people will find that phase distortion is audible and can be detected (once you know what to listen for and have the right music tracks that highlight the effects) but the difference is very subtle, the proverbial icing on the cake. Channel matching of FR and phase is much more important, exactly as you say.
Do you have a reference to that kind of ABX test done?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand at the moment the signal phase (entire system) is flipped the switching may be audible, but listening to 0° and 180° samples (entire system) should sound identical. This would make for an interesting blind AB comparison.

Some signals are audible when flipped.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Some signals are audible when flipped.
Exactly.
This asymmetrical low-frequency waveform for example sounds different when inverted:
1623101625832.png

This symmetrical waveform doesn't:
1623101674874.png

Both have the same spectrum, fundamental and 100% or second harmonic.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can do your own, or just use headphones which are linear phase by default (single driver).
I have already tried playing with phase. I created filters in Rephase and loaded them in Convolver in Foobar.
To hear a difference on my speakers, I have to rotate the phase between 20Hz and 20kHz by several times 360°, perhaps ten. Then there is like a weird wobble sound to the drums.
I haven't tried with headphones though.

KSTR

Major Contributor
If there is any serious interest I could provide convolution kernels with different phase distortions so everybody can make their own tests, ABX's or whatever, with any music material. Again, preferably on a system that already is linear phase.

Top Bottom