• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered my Boss2 just after Amir's review was posted. Because of that, I expected a delay but in fact it arrived only a couple of days after the original estimate ship time...and Allo sent out an Email just prior explaining the slight delay.

I was frankly surprised how quickly it got here, in perfect as ordered configuration considering the horrible Covid bump that hit India almost simultaneously with Amir's review. Sincere thanks to everyone involved. It appears the Allo team has made heroic efforts to keep things going despite it all. There are certainly things far more important than getting me my toy on time, which you did....please keep everyone safe.

The Boss2 has been great fun! I have not needed advice here because so much of it is available around the web. I installed both Volumio and Moode, updating both to the latest versions via internet instructions and Allo downloads. Both work very well... I originally was drawn to Volumio but think Moode may be a bit quicker.

One question. What is the recommendation in terms of powering it on and off. I can power down to standby in the software, but I understand that restarting requires power to be physically shut off, then on again. I do not want to reach to the back and pull the plug each time. Should it just be left on? I can add an Alexa controlled power plug...but then want to be sure I wait long enough after software shutdown to turn off the power.
I think the display stays on even when Volumio is shut down. So, how long to wait?

evilyoda

I've looked at Allo products in the past but given the new form factor (well, case) and this review, I'm itching again...does Allo sell a USB-output streamer? I'm trying not to upgrade the DAC (Massdrop Grace M9XX) in my secondary system for a while and it performs better via USB input.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Has anyone set one of these up for Squeezebox/LMS yet? I'd like to hear how that process was. Thanks.

dajoe

I purchased it with the DietPi image preinstalled. This comes with squeezelite enabled by default. I disabled anything else. DietPi is based on Debian so you should be able to install LMS if that's what you want to do.

It should be also possible to use picoreplayer or max2play. So your options are plenty

johan

Audio Company
Hello,

First thx you all for the kind words..covid is getting slowly under control and we are able to work more every day .

For powering off , I would advise to keep it on at all times. RPIs are made to have low power consumption while idling (in this same thread someone measured at around 3 to 4W including PSU loses .

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As usually , I would like to say ,thx you Amir , for your time and effort . The audio world has changed and Amir is one (main) of the driving forces .

Now getting back at Boss2. For a long time , earthing was a big part of audio . With XLR outputs it becomes less important (but still relevant). With the correct earth , RF has a path to escape . Some of you will argue that its not important , but in all my test data , I see a clear improvement with earth. Therefore all our power supply , DACs etc have a way (and some multiple) to earth using various C+R values .

Earthing is not standard . What works on one system might not work the same , on a different location . Again , this is why we have a DC earth (Nirvana SMPS) but also an earth lug on both Nirvana and Boss2 (for direct connection )

Boss2 has also multiple ways to power it, you can use one DC power (both Boss2 and RPI4) or use 2x PSU one for Boss2 and one for RPI4 (with the GND shared of course). I will not comment on "how it will sound" but from what I remember we got slightly better THD+N

About our company . We are a canadian company that has a R&D center in Bangalore India and a smaller one in EU . We work as a team and we are proud of our work .
Hi,
I got my unit. How do you power it up? I connected the enclosed basic power supply, put the batteries in the remote, pressed the navigation button on the unit and…nothing happens. Please talk to me like I were a child!
Thanks,
AT

DarrylG

johan

Audio Company
Hi Andrea

The unit has a OS/Player. In case you have moode please check moode.local on your browser

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So are these plug and play, or is there some assembly/setup required? Thanks.

If you order the Boss2 with an operating system pre-installed on a MicroSD card, then they are plug and play. If you do not insert one of the pre-loaded MicroSD cards then nothing will happen when powered up I expect. Perhaps you would see lights on the back or peering closely through the IR hole but nothing will show on the OLED and the remote won't work. There is no on/off switch. Plugging the Boss2 in turns it on.

If you do insert an OS card and then power up, at the very least you should see the Boss2 OLED screen come to life after it is plugged to power and bootup (about 30 seconds or so). I would also recommend plugging in hardwired Ethernet to start off. I think there is a procedure for locating the built in WiFi without doing that first but Ethernet start is simpler.

All of my initial interactions were through Ethernet. I do not know if the microHDMI Video outputs on the Boss2 are live by default on all of the OS choices.

You have a choice of either Moode Audio or DietPi+Allo GUI installed on the card from Allo. You can find the best instructions by going to the Moode or DietPI web/support sites because the Boss2 is just a blank slate without them and they have robust user groups.

I tried Moode first, but found it not difficult to make a 2nd card with Volumio following instructions on Allo and the Volumio site.

Last edited:

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Perfect. Mine should be delivered today. Just wanted to know if I should set aside some extra time for tediosity this weekend. Hopefully the new interconnects show up on time too! Thanks.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This may be the wrong place to put this question, but as someone who isn't interested in the full-time "hobby" of learning a new computer operating system and spending weeks to learn how to connect to a device such as this from Android and iOS devices, is there a simple app available to me on both systems that will connect easily to the Boss and allow me to try out Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD and Deezer to see which I prefer? Or is something like the Bluesound Node, with its likely inferior test results, really my only practical choice?

Appreciate everyone's patience with me, as I understand I'm pretty much a kindergartner among PhD candidates here.

Bamyasi

Short answer is no, you cannot try out all four services you have mentioned using just one program. And I do not think any Allo.com products support Amazon Music.

Closest you can get is BubbleUPnP app which can be used to cast to Boss2 Tidal, Qobuz and files served from a local DLNA server (e.g. from your NAS).

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I kind of figured as much. I think my Bluesound plan is likely the most user-friendly plan that retains the possibility of adding DSP room correction via an outboard DAC following the Node (digital out from the Node). No Amazon HD availability, but no solution looks like it's going to be perfect.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@johan congratulations to the allo team on their efforts here, such a great device at a really great price. I have a quick question-I would buy one of these with balanced outputs. To your knowledge are there any intentions to produce a balanced version, or make modifications available?

m8o

Forum Donor
Hi,
I got my unit. How do you power it up? I connected the enclosed basic power supply, put the batteries in the remote, pressed the navigation button on the unit and…nothing happens. Please talk to me like I were a child!
Thanks,
AT
Hoping you asked this of Allo support and you are good?

Did you a) select an operating system on purchase (sure hoping so) b) install the mSD card? I suspect it wouldnt be shipped with it installed as it's possible it could slide out during shipping, maybe slide into the case, maybe discarded with the packaging. Be careful to slide it in upside down, with the contacts up.

dajoe

This may be the wrong place to put this question, but as someone who isn't interested in the full-time "hobby" of learning a new computer operating system and spending weeks to learn how to connect to a device such as this from Android and iOS devices, is there a simple app available to me on both systems that will connect easily to the Boss and allow me to try out Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD and Deezer to see which I prefer? Or is something like the Bluesound Node, with its likely inferior test results, really my only practical choice?

Appreciate everyone's patience with me, as I understand I'm pretty much a kindergartner among PhD candidates here.

Logitech Media Server has plugins for these services. It is free and can be setup on the boss2 either client and server or client only. But yes, it involves some administration.

Labjr

Major Contributor
@johan congratulations to the allo team on their efforts here, such a great device at a really great price. I have a quick question-I would buy one of these with balanced outputs. To your knowledge are there any intentions to produce a balanced version, or make modifications available?

I think this product already deals well with grounding. No sure if they could improve the performance using a single CS43198 which has a pseudodifferential output.

Apesbrain

Or is something like the Bluesound Node, with its likely inferior test results, really my only practical choice?
As far as "plug & play" goes, the Bluesound products are as simple as it gets. The analog output on the Node 2i has been tested here with good, not great, results. That said, many people are satisfied with what it can do. A new Node is due out this month so you might wait.

The Bluesound app for PC, tablet, or phone supports all of the music services you mentioned.

Top Bottom