• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arendal Sound

outlookrt

Anyone have any experience with the little Arendal 1961 Bookshelf?
I've been looking for a small sealed monitor with good directivity to use near/on wall with 1 or 2 compact subs (looking at SVS 3000 Micro).
Looks like a good modern passive alternative to the ol' ls3/5a in a way...

beaRA

FYI, James Larson just posted a review of the Arendal 1723 Monitor on the Audioholics website. Looks like a great speaker for the money of you care about hitting THX reference levels. For those with slightly lower volume requirements, seems the Kef R3 offers a similarly flat LW response with slightly smoother directivity at just $2k/pair. Granted, the bass extension is not as impressive without a sub and I have no idea how the build quality compares. I always use a sub though, so I'm more interested in how close the Arendal 1961 Monitor can get to this level of performance for just $1k/pair.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is nice to see independent measurements for what appears to be a very good speaker. And finally, some confirmation that using this speaker as a horizontal center channel can have issues, depending on the room and seating configuration.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI, James Larson just posted a review of the Arendal 1723 Monitor on the Audioholics website. Looks like a great speaker for the money of you care about hitting THX reference levels
I just saw this great review by Audioholics.

Performance is simply excellent.

I was surprised to see the price for these 1999€/pair, VAT and shipping included to EU.:)

Seeing measurements and industrial design, I expected something much more expensive.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Would you consider this 1723 series mostly for home theater, or also for a two channel music setup? I watched the AH video review and the 1723 stand mount seems really impressive for the price. I'm tempted by a set of the 1723 towers.

Also, do you know why Arendal specs the 1723 stand mount with the same bass extension as the 1723 THX Tower, both at 34Hz? Considering the tower's two 8" woofers and larger cabinet volume, I don't understand that.

Last edited:

MarcT

Forum Donor

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you consider this 1723 series mostly for home theater, or also for a two channel music setup? I watched the AH video review and the 1723 stand mount seems really impressive for the price. I'm tempted by a set of the 1723 towers.

Also, do you know why Arendal specs the 1723 stand mount with the same bass extension as the 1723 THX Tower, both at 34Hz? Considering the tower's two 8" woofers and larger cabinet volume, I don't understand that.
They would be competent at both.

If extension is held the same, they made the decision to use the extra woofers to increase sensitivity and SPL.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if the midrange on the bookshelf images better than on the MTM Monitor, since the Monitor splits the midrange to two drivers that are some distance apart.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
if you're reading this, @hardisj ...i'd really be interested in the 1963 (or whatever the cheaper ones are called) monitor
noone seems to either be interested in reviewing it or is it just that they don't want to push it out that hard yet

Top Bottom