• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

eardiggler

Thanks Jeff - that makes me feel better. I'm not experienced enough to know how much current it would take to eventually do damage to a speaker coil. While I expect the 'pop' on some older 70's and 80's gear it's annoying to hear it on a newer amplifier like this. I will be interested to hear if others have the same issue on their A08.

Last edited:

violetwhisper

Members who bought the unit, could you tell me the idle power draw of the amplifier? I am looking to replace an old chunky A/B unit that uses 50W just for idling. That's not ideal in a room with no AC when summer is coming ;-)

peanuts

what frequency is it at? (or is it DC?) i was thinking of buying two of these for my dsp setup, connected straight to compression driver. hmmm

eardiggler

what frequency is it at? (or is it DC?) i was thinking of buying two of these for my dsp setup, connected straight to compression driver. hmmm

It's set to DC Mv. Take in mind that the average spike is only -232. It settles in at -6.2Mv. It's very possible I received a unit with a defective capacitor. As ToKu mentioned another person with this unit in Japan does not have the 'pop' issue at all.

reverbel

Forum Donor
Aiyima is currently selling two A07 versions. One comes with the NE5532 op amp. The other, a bit more expensive, comes with the LM4562NA op amp.

Many people say that replacing the NE5532 op amp by the LM4562NA makes the sound better, so I am inclined to go for the LM4562NA version. However, my understanding is that the version Amir tested and recommended is the other one.

@amirm: Does your recommendation also apply to the LM4562NA version?

In other words, could the op amp change possibly make performance worse in any way?

Thanks! (And apologies for what may be a very dumb newbie question, but I have no idea of the possible consequences of changing the op amp.)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aiyima is currently selling two A07 versions. One comes with the NE5532 op amp. The other, a bit more expensive, comes with the LM4562NA op amp.

Many people say that replacing the NE5532 op amp by the LM4562NA makes the sound better, so I am inclined to go for the LM4562NA version. However, my understanding is that the version Amir tested and recommended is the other one.

In other words, could the op amp change possibly make performance worse in any way?

Thanks! (And apologies for what may be a very dumb newbie question, but I have no idea of the possible consequences of changing the op amp.)

you will find the answers you're looking for in this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-and-review-lm4562-option.19155/

JeffGB

Members who bought the unit, could you tell me the idle power draw of the amplifier? I am looking to replace an old chunky A/B unit that uses 50W just for idling. That's not ideal in a room with no AC when summer is coming ;-)
I don't have a direct measurement but the spec sheet for the chip indicates idle is about 2.5w. I have several class AB amps as well and the difference in heat is HUGE. Even my Crown XLS1500 uses approx 35w at idle, even though it is class D (probably the reason is the DSP which would always draw power, even at idle). The Crown used to be my "summer" amplifier because it was so cool and the Aiyima a07 now makes it look hot!

VanO

I changed the op amps chips in mine to OPA 1656 Burr Brown chips. I really like it. I’m not that trained and didn’t use the originals long enough to really tell if it’s better but it’s certainly not worse. I have a Burr Brown Zen Signature DAC and like it so I thought that would be a good way go. I put them in my Tube A3 also.

The LM4562NA chips from Digi-Key are $1.86 each. OPA 1656 chips are around $8.00. I’ve read favorable comparisons of the OPA 1656 vs the $145 Burson V6 Vivid chips. If you’re into changing them yourself you may want to check those out. It’s pretty easy to change them out.

I’m using a Furman power conditioner and a Drok 48v 10 amp power supply. I’ve had my Spektor 2s above 93db and have not noticed any hum. It runs extremely silent.

I just realized recently that the 3.5 aux is both input and output. It’s not labelled well on the case. You can use it to send a signal to a powered sub, another A07, or active speakers while using the high-level speaker outputs at the same time. Great little amp

sefril

so i have changed my op amp (now using LM4562), changed my speaker cable, changed power supply, even changed my speaker (well, i got this DIY 4 way speaker with swans driver really cheap so i got to buy it lol) and the volume balance problem still persist..

one thing that i notice, i try to change RCA cable (swapping the L and R) on the DAC output yet the volume on the right speaker is still lower than the left just like before i swapped the RCA cable.. so the problem is from my Aiyima amplifier right?

For imagination on how unbalance my volume is, i put the left volume 28 and right volume 50 on my laptop for balancing the volume, so the difference is quite huge..

thanks for any help..

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so i have changed my op amp (now using LM4562), changed my speaker cable, changed power supply, even changed my speaker (well, i got this DIY 4 way speaker with swans driver really cheap so i got to buy it lol) and the volume balance problem still persist..

one thing that i notice, i try to change RCA cable (swapping the L and R) on the DAC output yet the volume on the right speaker is still lower than the left just like before i swapped the RCA cable.. so the problem is from my Aiyima amplifier right?

For imagination on how unbalance my volume is, i put the left volume 28 and right volume 50 on my laptop for balancing the volume, so the difference is quite huge..

thanks for any help..
If you swap speaker outputs, does it switch sides for lower speaker?

Other troubleshooting steps;
change amp, see if problem exists. Change source see if problem exists.
Check speaker (buy dats v3, well worth it).

xtenz

Hello,
Do you think this amp can be use with a compression driver BMS 4550 ( 80W AES , 113 db sensitivity, 8 Ohms ) high pass from 1.2Khz to above ?
I have already buy a PSU 48v 10A.

I have already a TAS5630 mono ( with PSU 48V 8A ) and i can run 2 subwoofers MTH-30 ( 4 Ohms ) very well.
Thanks

RogerM

OTOH, since you will presumably be applying equalisation to the driver to get a flat response, any slowly varying frequency response cause by interaction of amp and driver can easily be correct within the overall eq settings.

xtenz

Yes I have a DCX2496 and I will use REW.
So it's not the best but can be better with good correction. I will try and if it's not good i will go with an class AB amp ( a little T.amp E400 have a very good review for compression driver )

shrub0

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if the aux out on the back of the Aitima a07 is controlled by the volume knob on the front?
Thanks.

Jdunk54nl

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if the aux out on the back of the Aitima a07 is controlled by the volume knob on the front?
Thanks.
No, it is simply y-connected to the rca inputs.

shrub0

Thanks Jdunk54nl, reading your your signature you are running Aiyima 07 with a sub. How do you control the master volume?

Jdunk54nl

Top Bottom