• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Last $600 in your checking account which speaker do you get?

AlexanderM

Look at the review on the Wharfedale Diamond speakers for $199. Then you still have money for food and beer.

Reactions: Zvu

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One can have 3 speakers that all are rated about similarly but all of them will sound different in room A vs room B.
The differences can be substantial even. Also a different positioning can make or break a speaker in a room.

For speakers using recommendations and or reviews could be used for some 'sifting'.
One should try to find a shop that carries them and insist on auditioning them in your home or have the possibility to return them.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I went to college, the 1st thing I did was took my financial aid and used it for a down payment on a house and then got three roommates to pay the mortgage and left a bit over to pay tuition... lol
I'm so glad you showed up to dazzle us with your tale.

We've been trying to reach you about your car's warranty.

JRiggs

Seriously, save your money. Pay your bills. Speakers can wait. I am surprised by how many of you are like, buy this...buy that...Really?

Last edited:

JRiggs

YSC

Major Contributor
Seriously, save your money. Pay your bills. Speakers can wait. I am surprised by how many of you are like, buy this...buy that...Really?
I am pretty sure he don't really have only $600 left and wanted to spend on speakers instead of food or paying rent, just his budget is $600 and don't want suggestions to go higher up stuffs;)

but back to OP, is passives a must? coz from my very superficial observations here, in the budget end and especially if the room isn't that large needing high SPL at distance, active monitors provided better price/performance especially they've usually boosted the bass a bit and make it digs deep enough for great performance. For larger space with full range floor standers or the need for AVR integration for home theatre are where passives would be better in most cases

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

I am pretty sure he don't really have only $600 left and wanted to spend on speakers instead of food or paying rent, just his budget is $600 and don't want suggestions to go higher up stuffs;)

but back to OP, is passives a must? coz from my very superficial observations here, in the budget end and especially if the room isn't that large needing high SPL at distance, active monitors provided better price/performance especially they've usually boosted the bass a bit and make it digs deep enough for great performance. For larger space with full range floor standers or the need for AVR integration for home theatre are where passives would be better in most cases
Thank you ! It was just a little hyperbole. Yes passives are gonna be a necessity. I’ve never really spent “good money” on speakers so I was trying to take a ride on the wild side and get something nice around that 600 figure.

AlexanderM

Thank you ! It was just a little hyperbole. Yes passives are gonna be a necessity. I’ve never really spent “good money” on speakers so I was trying to take a ride on the wild side and get something nice around that 600 figure.
You certainly can get something nice within that budget.

typericey

Any Revel that's within that budget, new or used. But if I must choose within your options, Debut Reference, just because I own one so I can confidently recommend.

jmos

Forum Donor
IMO the best deal out there is the old polk flagship bookshelf. LSIm 703. They sold for $1500 6 short years ago. They are a 3 way design. Sound great when supplied enough power. I have a pair in my office and love them. Best $400 I have ever spent. I would have been happy spending more than double that for this kind of quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-L...m+703&qid=1622853854&sprefix=polk+lsim&sr=8-3

Update, it was $600 for the pair when I bought them a year ago. Not $400. Again, IMO, worth double that, easily. Seems the price went up $100 per. I think they can still be found new for $300 each like they were a year ago. Just no longer on Amazon

Last edited:
OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

IMO the best deal out there is the old polk flagship bookshelf. LSIm 703. They sold for $1500 6 short years ago. They are a 3 way design. Sound great when supplied enough power. I have a pair in my office and love them. Best $400 I have ever spent. I would have been happy spending more than double that for this kind of quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-L...m+703&qid=1622853854&sprefix=polk+lsim&sr=8-3
Thank you for the reco I’ll check them out for sure.

danielkt

In theory, yes a 3-way would catch my interest first…but like we learned, it’s the full recipe that makes or breaks the speaker, and the Elac UB52 is a broken design (according to Amir’s review).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ac-uni-fi-2-0-review-bookshelf-speaker.19216/

No, it is still not clear for me.
When you read the that thread, the designer (Aj) stated & test that it will create resonance when it play out of spec. On the other hand amir did not show data "how loud" he play when resonance occur

Top Bottom