• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very nice review of Dynaudio active speakers by mitchco

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/744-dynaudio-focus-600-xd-loudspeaker-review/

A prototype review style imo. While long it is full of real content yet interesting enough to read. Plus plenty of measurements of what is being achieved with this speaker in a domestic listening room.

This speaker has been well reviewed elsewhere including TAS, but not this type of review.

So just posting for interested readers here on ASR.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
He includes this which, of course, is in direct contravention of audiophile orthodoxy: :)
I also notice the time alignment or time coherence, which represents all direct sound arriving at one's ears at the listening position at the same time... As we will see, this is easy to measure, but it takes time for one’s ears to tune into what time alignment/coherence sounds like, especially if one has not heard a “real” time coherent speaker before.

My reference speakers are time aligned/coherent and I could immediately tell listening to the 600 XD’s that they had the same time coherence. Once one picks up what is sounds like, it is hard to go back. The main aspect of time coherence, from a listening perspective, translates into excellent transient response, as the bass, midrange and high frequencies are arriving at one's ears at the same time. I find it also greatly enhances the stereo phantom image.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/744-dynaudio-focus-600-xd-loudspeaker-review/

A prototype review style imo. While long it is full of real content yet interesting enough to read. Plus plenty of measurements of what is being achieved with this speaker in a domestic listening room.

This speaker has been well reviewed elsewhere including TAS, but not this type of review.

Stereophile also reviewed the smaller Focus 200 XD (2 way stand mount), putting it in Class A (restricted LF).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Also, if one doesn't want the WiFi connectivity and can give up one of the bass drivers, the new LYD 48 monitor also offers (IMHO) the most core features of the XD series (DSP crossover, tri-amplification, EQ adjustments), plus XLR input, for significantly less cost:

lyd48-bw.png

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

In terms of methodology, this might be the best speaker review I've ever read and matches how I tend to think about things.

So much better than the 'tasting notes' style reviews we typically read.

Last edited:
OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Appears the review is getting kudos in the comment section over at CA. So there probably is a good size group of people who would like more reviews done in this manner.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Stereophile subjective reviewer claims the analog input makes vocals sound dry on the 200XD and the digital input does not. The measurements are done using the analog input and according to JA: "Its measured performance is, in a word, superb". Am I missing something or are these guys generally casual about correlating listening impressions with measurements?

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-loudspeaker-measurements#chuDIvCtVFFTZfuP.99

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The Stereophile subjective reviewer claims the analog input makes vocals sound dry on the 200XD and the digital input does not. The measurements are done using the analog input and according to JA: "Its measured performance is, in a word, superb". Am I missing something or are these guys generally casual about correlating listening impressions with measurements?

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-loudspeaker-measurements#chuDIvCtVFFTZfuP.99

I think they're schizophrenic.

When something measures bad, but "sounds good", JA seems not to over-ride the reviewer. Example: Herb Reichert's review of the of Schiit Yggy

On the other hand, when the reviewer notes something sounds off in some way, JA will seemingly try to find evidence in the measurements. Example: Herb Reichert's review of the Dynaudio Contour 20

And then you have the example above, where JA ignores the comment entirely.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So Dynaudio has a consumer line of active DSP-based speakers (like to 200XD) and the pro line (LYD). Does anyone have any inside info on the differences? Are the innards essentially the same?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So Dynaudio has a consumer line of active DSP-based speakers (like to 200XD) and the pro line (LYD). Does anyone have any inside info on the differences? Are the innards essentially the same?
I don't think so, they seem to use slightly different drive units, but I would be more interested in if they are voiced the same, e.g. flat for pro, 'enhanced' for domestic, or something.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to try something like these speakers to compare with my JBL 305P mk2 ( (similar size, decent looking) in my living room. I am not a big fan of buying an returning and the consumer models are quite expensive. I might get a loaner pair from a local dealer for the consumer models but the pro models are only available online it seems.

Top Bottom