• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC preamp with analog inputs

Jaimo

Hello folks!

I am searching for a DAC/preamp that has one or more analog inputs in addition to a selection of digital inputs. I’ve come across the Teac UD503 and Benchmark unit’s thus far.

Are there any others that meet this requirement?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell.

OP
Jaimo

Jaimo

Wow! Thanks... the Nad lineup checks all the boxes and the price seems okay for what is offered. The PS audio product looks interesting as well.

Last edited:

HionHiFi

Reviving a dead thread instead of starting a new one.

I’m looking for a DAC with analog inputs. The landscape has changed a bit since OP posted his question. Has there been any new DAC’s with analog inputs?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Matrix Mini Pro i3 also has RCA analog inputs.

Screenshot_20210602-171332.png

As does the Nuprime DAC-9/DAC-9H:
nuprime-dac9.jpg

With probably much worse performance...

Last edited:

SMc

The cheapest with two analog inputs I saw was the Denon Heos Link but the second was 3.5 mm.

Do you want a traditional preamp with DAC? How many analog inputs do you need?

HionHiFi

I’m looking for a top end performance in an analog stage that will compliment DAC. The DAC is a Soncoz SGD1 paired to a Nord Three SE 1ET400A MKII Dual Mono Stereo Amp. Together with the other components in the system make for a pretty clean path for the audio signal. I’d like to keep it that way as much as practical possible. I wouldn’t want to muddy the waters so to speak with a “dirty” DAC just to gain an analog input.

Besides Benchmark's -HGC models, there's this RME:
https://rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html
But unless you were already planning to spend about 2000 USD, it might be cheaper just to buy a separate AD converter, and for analog sources like phono, even an inexpensive one need not be a limitation.
TBH, I had not given an ADC any thought until you brought it up. Thanks Jeff. ;) Do you suggest any specific ADC’s?

I should add here that I own a Babyface Pro FS that takes in analog inputs and routes them to the digital output. Problem is that it is on my computer desk which is in my audio room, but across the room and running long arse wires would be fuuuuuuuuuugly.

HionHiFi

My Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 has TLR inputs & a USB input.
Thank you. I have a Babyface Pro FS that could work in this situation but for the logistics of my room. I would be difficult to get inputs and outputs to and from the Babyface to the rest of the audio system with having wires strewn across my room floor. It is MY audio room, but my wife would have a field day with that. LOL.

HionHiFi

HionHiFi

The cheapest with two analog inputs I saw was the Denon Heos Link but the second was 3.5 mm.

Do you want a traditional preamp with DAC? How many analog inputs do you need?
1 analog input would suffice. I don’t have any analog sources, but let’s say I wanted to use the Allo Raspberry duhicky that Amir just reviewed. I couldn’t. It only has analog outputs and I don’t have any analog inputs.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello folks!

I am searching for a DAC/preamp that has one or more analog inputs in addition to a selection of digital inputs. I’ve come across the Teac UD503 and Benchmark unit’s thus far.

Are there any others that meet this requirement?
I suppose the miniDPS SHD would also meet the definition; it also includes the Dirac room correction system. ...

miniDSP SHD information

ASR SHD review

SHD_Front_1200x177.png

SHD-1200x174.png

HionHiFi

I suppose the miniDPS SHD would also meet the definition; it also includes the Dirac room correction system. ...

miniDSP SHD information

ASR SHD review

SHD_Front_1200x177.png

SHD-1200x174.png
Though not directed at me, I’ve have owned the SHD. It might be an option again in the future. I didn’t like Volumio. I could have loaded Squeezelite player to resolve that issue. But I haven’t been able to get use Volumio after using LMS for many years. It’s awesome and stable.

The UI of the SHD was unpredictable. Sometimes pressing the volume + would result in the volume turning down. The effect made it unreliable for making quick and immediate volume changes.

The other maybe bigger reason was that I wanted to go with more powerful room correction. Dirac is nice and easy but the trade off for this ease of setup and pretty GUI is a reduction of horsepower and configurability. It loses to something like Acourate, and other programs like it. So I went away from the SHD in favor of another, yet to be implemented room correction solution.

Top Bottom