• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

jgirado

Forum Donor
Thanks for your prompt response, I'll install Volumio and play a little bit (I don't have Roon right now). I'll use one of my USB crappy DACs in the meantime until I decide if I want the case or build mine (need to build on top a XLR switcher, etc.), pot, power supply, etc.

Javier
Hi,

I tried to buy the DAC + CASE today but it's back-ordered. When are you going to have more?

Also, I do have a 9VCC/3A power supply so I don't need a new one. Can you tell me the tip size and polarity?

Thanks in advance,
Javier

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Hi,

I tried to buy the DAC + CASE today but it's back-ordered. When are you going to have more?

Also, I do have a 9VCC/3A power supply so I don't need a new one. Can you tell me the tip size and polarity?

Thanks in advance,
Javier

Yes, back-ordered they will start shipping in mid-February. I will ship orders in the order in which they come in.

The power supply connector is Barrel Plug, 2.1mm I.D. x 5.5mm O.D. x 9.5mm - Center Positive.

mariano3113

I have a PecanPi (Revision 1.5) as was specifically wanting both RCA and XLR simultaneous output. (Speaker and Sub)

XLR feeding Hypek Ncore 252MP Ghent cases put together by Buckeye Amps powering James Loudspeaker 63Cube on Output Stands
& RCA powering 2 Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer (2005 circa 200watt rms models)

Did do a little File job to accommodate Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB transplant.(Hence the ethernet on right (middle) rather than left(towards the back edge))

@orchardaudio
Maybe you can offer a new/replacement case lid that is Raspberry Pi 4 friendly

mariano3113

I can not find message with whom asked about power supply for Raspberry Pi 4, however I switched from the CUI SDI24-9-U-P5 to the CUI SDI50-9-U-P5

The SDI24 is 9 volt 2.5 amp (22.5 watts) and the SDI50 is 9 volt 5 amp (45 watts)

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SDI50-9-U-P5?qs=nZCw0MZkbzZNL3Aj5YqwXA==

They now have a newer SDI36 that is 9v 3.3 amp which would most likely be closer to adequate amp draw if using Pi4 with a USB CD-Player/Music Drive/etc..

The 5 amp model also has a light on the power brick to let you know it is powered. (I disabled the LED activity lights through MoOde so it helps to see if PecanPi is on/powered.)

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I can not find message with whom asked about power supply for Raspberry Pi 4, however I switched from the CUI SDI24-9-U-P5 to the CUI SDI50-9-U-P5

The SDI24 is 9 volt 2.5 amp (22.5 watts) and the SDI50 is 9 volt 5 amp (45 watts)

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SDI50-9-U-P5?qs=nZCw0MZkbzZNL3Aj5YqwXA==

They now have a newer SDI36 that is 9v 3.3 amp which would most likely be closer to adequate amp draw if using Pi4 with a USB CD-Player/Music Drive/etc..

The 5 amp model also has a light on the power brick to let you know it is powered. (I disabled the LED activity lights through MoOde so it helps to see if PecanPi is on/powered.)

Hello,

I am not sure why you changed the power supply. The 9V supply to the DAC does not power the RPi directly. There is a 9 to 5V regulator and the 5V from that regulator feeds the Rpi. The 5V regulator is limited to 3A output.

In any case, I don't see any reason you should change the 9V power supply to a higher wattage one. As 22.5W is plenty even with a Pi4.

starcat

Why did they omit the RCA out on the latest version? I would have immediately bought a couple of them but I need XLR *and* RCA out on it. Anyone know any plans they might have to include the RCA out as well?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Why did they omit the RCA out on the latest version? I would have immediately bought a couple of them but I need XLR *and* RCA out on it. Anyone know any plans they might have to include the RCA out as well?
On the new boards which I am about to start shipping soon, there is still no RCA connector. However, there are wiring terminals that allow you to add RCA externally or have an RCA equivalent.

You can wire RCA between GND and XLR Pin 2 on the green terminal blocks.

If you order any boards going forward this is the version you will get.

Capture.JPG

starcat

What is the original purpose of the terminal blocks, to have a 2nd XLR out? I see there are 3-pins in there as well for a differential signal

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
What is the original purpose of the terminal blocks, to have a 2nd XLR out? I see there are 3-pins in there as well for a differential signal
I have many customers that want to wire to the board and not have it flush against the panel with these connectors you can have the boards somewhere inside your enclosure and easily wire to panel mount connectors, be it XLR or RCA. Additional bonus...no soldering needed.

RCA is just half the XLR.

starcat

Are the outputs buffered and can the main XLR and the out on the green terminal output at the same time?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Are the outputs buffered and can the main XLR and the out on the green terminal output at the same time?
Yes, they can output at the same time. They are actually the output of the same buffer which has an output impedance of 0.05ohm for each leg. So absolutely no issue with driving multiple loads.

starcat

I have many customers that want to wire to the board and not have it flush against the panel with these connectors you can have the boards somewhere inside your enclosure and easily wire to panel mount connectors, be it XLR or RCA. Additional bonus...no soldering needed.

I see. Would be easily though to use a passthrough connector for the Ethernet on the Pi instead of not using the PCB mounted connectors (shorter signal path). As such the original version with both RCA and XLR was just spot on.

Any other differences between the original version and the new one?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
@orchardaudio

as far as I can see on the site - "PecanPi USB/SPDIF - This product is discontinued". Is there any new model ?
No. This model was just not selling.

I think I would a total of 5 or 6 in a year.

The Streamers are flying off the shelf though.

Veri

Master Contributor
No. This model was just not selling.

I think I would a total of 5 or 6 in a year.
Aww. I thought it was a great product though, although the price did increase after I bought mine. Hope you'll have another competitive DAC product out some day ;)

Top Bottom