• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320a Review (Powered Monitor)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Consider two things here.
1, the cost. They're $1250 a pair new.
2, the competition. Neumann KH80s are right around the same price point (maybe a bit cheaper, even) and their distortion performance is far better.
They are $1,250 because they are made in Finland, I know it doesn't necessarily add to the sound quality but it is a legitimate reason for the premium. The KH80 are currently selling for $1,000 new and made in Ireland, though not exactly cheap labor either, I'm sure if they were made in Germany the price would be similar to the 8320a.

Olius

I found it. There is an 8320A sitting on top of the subwoofer. I still wonder what it's for though.
Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 17.04.47.jpg

EDIT: nvm, it says in the article: "Additionally, an 8320A compact two-way nearfield monitor sits atop the 7380A, to provide an upwards frequency extension above 120 Hz. This acts as a checkpoint into the true content of the LFE channel before it is distributed."

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I found it. There is an 8320A sitting on top of the subwoofer. I still wonder what it's for though.
View attachment 132932

EDIT: nvm, it says in the article: "Additionally, an 8320A compact two-way nearfield monitor sits atop the 7380A, to provide an upwards frequency extension above 120 Hz. This acts as a checkpoint into the true content of the LFE channel before it is distributed."
This is the system that convinced me to stay stereo!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree the vertical does make the directivity worse, but there are still some horizontal issue at around 7k Hz. Not a big problem but could be better, but then it will be cutting sales of their other speaker....
Well, there's the 8331 (2 inches taller and $4,500) which probably has best in class horizontal and vertical directivity measurements

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Consider two things here.
1, the cost. They're $1250 a pair new.
2, the competition. Neumann KH80s are right around the same price point (maybe a bit cheaper, even) and their distortion performance is far better.
I would have bought the KH80 if I wasn't already deep into the Genelec ecosystem (stands, subs, GLM, etc.), I do agree that they are fantastic for the price and a better value than the 8320.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How ironic, this is the system that convinced me to go multi-channel Genelec LOL
A surround system like this is about 4 to 5x more expensive than a stereo of the same SQ level and rather as Dr Gedes said in his interview with Erin the source material I listen to is 99% stereo.
I use 2 side and a centre channel if I watch a film with surround sound, probably 10 to 20 times a year, so in my case the majority of my budget would be switched off most of the time :)
Your system will certainly be great for 3D sound.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A surround system like this is about 4 to 5x more expensive than a stereo of the same SQ level and rather as Dr Gedes said in his interview with Erin the source material I listen to is 99% stereo.
I use 2 side and a centre channel if I watch a film with surround sound, probably 10 to 20 times a year, so in my case the majority of my budget would be switched off most of the time :)
Yep, planning to squeeze every ounce of 3D performance out of them with the Trinnov.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice desktop speakers. How about these or the KH 80's?

Thank you @amirm

YSC

Major Contributor
perfectly acceptable for nearfield surround! Unfortunately, my surrounds are 7 ft away from the MLP
Right, just from really distant memory of gamin 5.1 systems and all those cable nightmare, I am pretty convinced to go stereo or 2.1, since mostly I listen to music recorded for stereo, and when I am gaming or during movies, I am dived into the content and don't bother about the absolute fedility

dfuller

Major Contributor
They are $1,250 because they are made in Finland, I know it doesn't necessarily add to the sound quality but it is a legitimate reason for the premium. The KH80 are currently selling for $1,000 new and made in Ireland, though not exactly cheap labor either, I'm sure if they were made in Germany the price would be similar to the 8320a.
Yes, I'm aware of this. Makes me wonder the point of including the fancy dsp room correction if the underlying speaker isn't great.
Nice desktop speakers. How about these or the KH 80's?
Either/or; I'd personally be inclined to go for the KH80s myself. Couple hundred bucks cheaper, similar if not slightly better performance.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Could not agree more (particularly with regard to source material). The few films that would benefit from surround, give me an excuse to get back out to the theater! Many do not require a more immersive experience IMO.

My next place is unlikely to have the space to do justice to surround sound anyway. :cool:

Last edited:

markb

Either/or; I'd personally be inclined to go for the KH80s myself. Couple hundred bucks cheaper, similar if not slightly better performance.
Depends on location it seems, here in the Netherlands I see EUR 23 difference between them at ~EUR 470.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Depends on location it seems, here in the Netherlands I see EUR 23 difference between them at ~EUR 470.
In the US the Neumanns are $500 each, the Gens are $625 each.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't normally like Youtube speaker comparisons, but on this video you can clearly hear the benefits of GLM and how it gets rid of the bloated bass:

Top Bottom