• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Hello Guys, i have a project for to build a speaker in my briefcase. Dimensions are 6 cm P x 25 cm H x 36 cm L .how do we calculate the right speakers that will play correctly with these dimensions. Is there any software for that? Thanks so much and sorry for my bad english.
I would create a new thread for this. ;)

kurosawa

danielmiessler

Forum Donor
Yes, you read the title right. If you have audio gear that you like to see objectively measured with professional equipment, we (I) may be interested in doing that for you and our readers.
I'm so happy to have found your channel/forum, Amir. How can we check what all you've tested in the past?

I'm curious if you've tested any dCS DACs, specifically the Bartók.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm so happy to have found your channel/forum, Amir. How can we check what all you've tested in the past?

I'm curious if you've tested any dCS DACs, specifically the Bartók.
Search > Search titles only. But alas, no dCS DACs there. Yet.

Wrilliam

Yes, you read the title right. If you have audio gear that you like to see objectively measured with professional equipment, we (I) may be interested in doing that for you and our readers.

There is so little objective data on equipment today. Even if you are not an "objectivists" it pays to contribute to gathering some data to weed out poorly engineering products of which, there are many. Electronic design and building of audio equipment has become much easier today, allowing so many unqualified people to get in the business and building potentially unsafe and non-performant equipment. It is important for data to show such poor practices.

At the same time, there are also superbly designed equipment and they deserve standing out from the crowd and dust of all the other gear.

Also of interest is the proliferation of so many audio tweaks including many for digital and computer based audio. Previous assumption has been that what they do is not "measureable." Our record so far shows that we can easily measure their contributions if any exists. Indeed we have found a number of cases where these products actually injected noise and distortion into audio path where non existed before!

I set out originally to purchase and measure equipment myself. Alas, the budget required is massive. I will continue to contribute out of my own pocket to purchase gear but no sense in spending my limited dollars on what some of you may already own.

For convenience sake, the program likely works best for small and lighter gear where shipping and transport is easy. That rules out speakers, large amplifiers, etc, leaving devices that can be shipped reasonably for $20 to $30. In many cases I am willing to pay out of my own pocket to return the gear. So the only cost to you would be shipping to me.

This program has been informally working in the last few months and very well. I have measured and published a number of reviews and measurements with loaned equipment.

If you are interested in participating, all you have to do is "start a conversation with me" by clicking on my name/avatar and we can work out the logistics. Please note that in most cases I need to make the time to measure things so you will be without the gear for a week or two. Possibly more. But we can coordinate that in the prior arrangement. If it is equipment of high interest, I can literally turn around the view in a day or two.

Also, there is some risk of gear getting lost, damaged, etc. The type of products we are talking about is quite robust in this regard, but it can still happen. I pay for some insurance when I ship things back to at least recover some of the cost should the post office screw it up. So far we have not had any issues.

So let's join hands and work together to create a large and useful library of objective, reliable and repeatable data for users to make good decisions in purchasing audio equipment, and to guide manufacturers to build better products.

Speaking of manufacturers, I am more than happy to see them participate too and indeed a number have. I make no assurance whatsoever of happy outcome should you loan me the equipment. What I can promise is supporting you in troubleshooting problems that are revealed in my testing and review.

Thanks in advance for those of you who participate.
Dear Amir, I live in the Seattle area and would be interested in having some equipment measured.. How do we connect to discuss?

Thanks

William

Veri

Master Contributor
Dear Amir, I live in the Seattle area and would be interested in having some equipment measured.. How do we connect to discuss?

Thanks

William
When you click on his user name you should be able to start a conversation :)

Wrilliam

I have some loudspeakers - very tall and thin that weigh in at 18lbs per channel without base - base can be connected where ever speakers are finally located. Speakers are 2 by 2 in by 84 inches. Listening is in the near-field unless one is about 80 ft from speakers.
We live in the Sammamish area.

Thanks

William

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Links to everything that has been measured on ASR are in my signature. You can easily search/filter by brand.

Quick question; Why aren't these links stickied anywhere or otherwise put in an easy to find place in the forum? Perhaps a 'Resources' tab at the top of the ASR web page.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Quick question; Why aren't these links stickied anywhere or otherwise put in an easy to find place in the forum? Perhaps a 'Resources' tab at the top of the ASR web page.

The 3 review index links are pretty easy to find:

1615848043884.png

But I agree that the Master Review Index could be easier to find, or at least stickied.

luft262

There is so little objective data on equipment today. Even if you are not an "objectivists" it pays to contribute to gathering some data to weed out poorly engineering products of which, there are many. Electronic design and building of audio equipment has become much easier today, allowing so many unqualified people to get in the business and building potentially unsafe and non-performant equipment. It is important for data to show such poor practices.

At the same time, there are also superbly designed equipment and they deserve standing out from the crowd and dust of all the other gear.

Also of interest is the proliferation of so many audio tweaks including many for digital and computer based audio. Previous assumption has been that what they do is not "measureable." Our record so far shows that we can easily measure their contributions if any exists. Indeed we have found a number of cases where these products actually injected noise and distortion into audio path where non existed before!

I set out originally to purchase and measure equipment myself. Alas, the budget required is massive. I will continue to contribute out of my own pocket to purchase gear but no sense in spending my limited dollars on what some of you may already own.

For convenience sake, the program likely works best for small and lighter gear where shipping and transport is easy. That rules out speakers, large amplifiers, etc, leaving devices that can be shipped reasonably for $20 to $30. In many cases I am willing to pay out of my own pocket to return the gear. So the only cost to you would be shipping to me.

This program has been informally working in the last few months and very well. I have measured and published a number of reviews and measurements with loaned equipment.

If you are interested in participating, all you have to do is "start a conversation with me" by clicking on my name/avatar and we can work out the logistics. Please note that in most cases I need to make the time to measure things so you will be without the gear for a week or two. Possibly more. But we can coordinate that in the prior arrangement. If it is equipment of high interest, I can literally turn around the view in a day or two.

Also, there is some risk of gear getting lost, damaged, etc. The type of products we are talking about is quite robust in this regard, but it can still happen. I pay for some insurance when I ship things back to at least recover some of the cost should the post office screw it up. So far we have not had any issues.

So let's join hands and work together to create a large and useful library of objective, reliable and repeatable data for users to make good decisions in purchasing audio equipment, and to guide manufacturers to build better products.

Speaking of manufacturers, I am more than happy to see them participate too and indeed a number have. I make no assurance whatsoever of happy outcome should you loan me the equipment. What I can promise is supporting you in troubleshooting problems that are revealed in my testing and review.

Hi. I have a pair of HiFiMan Sundara Headphones if you would like to measure those.
Thanks,
Eric

Jman841

While I would be sad not to have them for a couple weeks, I do have a pair of Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R that I could send over for measurements. There's not much done with them in terms of measurements but they are a really great headphone for the price, would love to see some objective measurements on them.

I also have my own EQ profile for them that I enjoy a lot, would be curious to see how it fits with the measurements.

weesch

my dear .
i would be very interested having in samples value of the group delay of different hardware....
1 : yamaha 01v96 ad to adat delay (in samples) and adat to da (in samples) at 44khz wordclock .
2: latency of a creamware pulsar 2 asio scope 5.0 system with samplitude at 64 samples
3: latency of protools hd 10 at 64 asio 2 samples buffer.(rtas and tdm) plugins latency / compensation ON
4: latency of adat audio stream. in samples
i need to have this value to adjust the record offset of samplitude (auto latency mixer compensation : OFF)
i already make some experiment and it work already very well
demo :
thanks for all your replies
best regards
phil

Phos

Is there still any interest in measuring Audio-gd stuff? I've got an NFB-5, which has been discontinued for a while, so it's kind of the opposite of useful consumer advice. I got it because basically no one was measuring headphone amps then, and reasonably priced stuff that you could expect to drive an HE-4 basically didn't exist. Never did end up getting the HE-4, though.

Oh right, FYI, The NFB-5 is a dac/head amp with variable or fixed line out (Just need to open the unit and move a jumper to chose!), no analog inputs. I think it has a pair of Wolfson chips in a dual mono configuration, even though it's a single ended device.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Is there still any interest in measuring Audio-gd stuff? I've got an NFB-5, which has been discontinued for a while, so it's kind of the opposite of useful consumer advice. I got it because basically no one was measuring headphone amps then, and reasonably priced stuff that you could expect to drive an HE-4 basically didn't exist. Never did end up getting the HE-4, though.
@WolfX-700 measured the balanced NFB-6 here. The headphone amp in particular is spectacularly bad.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-audio-gd-nfb-6-preamp-headphone-amp.10820/

Phos

Yeah I'm in the market for something else, eyeing the monolith 887. Not sure on the DAC, might just use the analog out on my x-fi for a bit. Good volume knob on the NFB-5, though.

Top Bottom