• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-X Over Ear Open Back Headphone Review

_listener_

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lcd-x-and-xc-update.956949/

Seems they got a (silent) revision with improved drivers and FR (and slightly less weight?) a few months ago.

Yep, and the good news is the pads are the main determinant of frequency response, so if you have a pre-revision model (the ones with memory foam pads) you can put them on and the FR will be changed to be (if not the same, than extremely similar to) the new revision's FR.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Resolve measured the new revision. It looks really good. I hope we will have more measurements of it soon.

Archsam

Where / when are the new pads available? Direct from Audeze website? And does anyone know how can I get them in the UK?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Resolve measured the new revision. It looks really good. I hope we will have more measurements of it soon.
Company sent me the new ones which I will measure soon.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Company sent me the new ones which I will measure soon.
Can't wait for the new measurements. They should be confident to send the new revision to you.

roskodan

The LCD-X has that really severe dip after 3kHz. Can see that both on oratory1990 (LCD-X doc was deleted btw) and Crinacle, IF too. They know they screwed something up really badly there. The rest of the LCD line looks really good in that regard in comparison to the LCD-X. Measurements documenting that existed long before amirm's review. But all the gaslighting by promotional reviewers and Ad-Fi did a nice job in putting everything under the hype rug. Not anymore I guess. ;)

jmillar

Yeah. It's pretty silly to give it a fail in direct comparison to the HD650 when it's biggest problems are easily fixable with EQ while the HD650 will never play as loud and as cleanly as a good LCD-X. (See Audeze Lottery above...)

OTOH, at least stock with no EQ, the LCD-X is probably my least favorite in their lineup and the HD650 is one of very few headphones I find long-term-listenable in stock form, without mods or EQ.

I agree with the two tier rating system.

When a headphone can be made excellent by EQing it it should be ranked in a different category.

When a headphone cannot be made to sound right no matter what you do because of distortion, breakup, limited headroom, etc then it's definitely a basket case and deserves a rotund "fail".

dasdoing

Major Contributor
When a headphone cannot be made to sound right no matter what you do because of distortion, breakup, limited headroom, etc then it's definitely a basket case and deserves a rotund "fail".

the sound profile shouldn't enter headphone reviews at all. the meassurement simply isn't translatable to individual heads, neither is the target curve. you can instead valuate the low frequency extension.

dseong

I got my LCD-X today and yeah, you are not kidding. Without EQ, they sound like cheap tincans. I never seen a headphone respond to EQ this way.

Did you get the 2021 version? Still waiting on the updated review Amir...

Bimbleton

I hope Amir will get a chance to review the new 2021 version. Got one myself, and I really enjoy it! The (much milder) dip in the upper mids helps reduce a lot of “glare” from music that I find disagreeable. A very pleasant, relaxed listen.

And boy, it EQ’s so well!

Top Bottom