• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
I know, you’ll say he wasn’t even the best guitarist in his band. You’ll criticise his technique. You’ll point out the limited left-hand action and the capo, and say after twenty-odd years of practice he should be this good at playing his own song…
mesmerising!
If he could dance at the same time the universe would collapse.

Katji

Major Contributor
while ignoring Carlos (Santana for for the Luddites in the crowd).

1622278021313.png

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
No mentions of Tommy Emmanuel anywhere on the list, yet
I'm a bit ambivalent about Tommy Emmanuel. He obviously has prodigious chops. I've watched, slack jawed, many YouTube clips of his fretboard wizardry, yet I have found very little of his recorded output I actually want to listen to. Chops isn't everything.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
7 pages and no one mentions Tommy Emmanuel
And Bo Diddley of course
There are so many.. Hans Theessink look him up
Willy Dixon on bass and composition..So many JOHN LEE HOOKER..

Leporello

Mick Taylor
James Honeyman Scott (Pretenders)
Mick Ronson
Andy Partridge and Dave Gregory (XTC)
Wes Montgomery
Malcolm Young
Brian May
Prince
Hendrix

Never understood the godlike status of Clapton. To my ears he is a decent enough MOR bluesy guitarist but nothing special.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having seen him live several times, I'd disagree. He was everything that Clapton is supposed to be but actually isn't. :D
Agreed- nothing Clapton has played gave me goosebumps but SRV elicited them regularly.

Sonny1

There are so many guitarists I love and so many styles or guitar, it’s impossible for me to pick a top ten let alone a single player. I’ve been lucky enough to have seen so many of the great ones in this thread play live (SRV, Clapton, Gilmore solo and with Floyd, Paco when he played with Al Dimiola and John McLaughlin, Steve Morse with the Dregs and opening for the Al Dimiola show, classical great Christopher Parkening, Buddy Guy, BB King, Kenny Wayne Sheppard when he opened for BB, and I’ve been to at least a dozen Blues Fests in my hometown of Chicago, Mark Knopfler solo and Dire Straits, EVH, Larry Carlton, Carlos Montoya, Pete and The Who, Angus Young, Paul Gilbert, Jake E Lee, and so many more. Unlike sports, I can’t rank musicians/artists.

In recent years I’ve become a bit obsessed with Gypsy Jazz which means I’m a huge Django fan of course. One of my favorite players is Jimmy Rosenberg. Jimmy is a gypsy from The Netherlands, a former child prodigy who is a master of improvising. In the video clip, he breaks a string and is having trouble with a guitar he borrowed for the show. He switches to his electric and lays down some beautiful melodic stuff played in Jimmy’s 1000 mile and hour style. Please note, in gypsy guitar there are only down strokes on single note playing. Watch his right hand, it makes the playing even more mind boggling. I love the little two note chords he throws in like Django. Jimmy has suffered from mental health and substance problems on and off for the past fifteen years but he is a special player if you like gypsy music. There is a documentary about him that is free on YouTube and is worth watching. Some great playing in the doc but it also explains the tragic up and down career he has had. This clip is pure Jimmy.

One more of Jimmy showing off with Frank Vignolo in a hotel in NYC after his Carnegie hall performance. Impromptu playing with drummer using the yellow pages as a snare.

Last edited:

Sonny1

Bend those strings!

The three Kings are among my favorites, BB, Freddie and Albert! All Blues, all amazing players and three unique styles. I can’t even remember a time in my life in which I wasn’t a huge fan of all three. Albert and Stevie in that video are great to watch. You can see the respect and admiration both have for each other.

I’d also like to give a mention to the great Jerry Reed. Famous as an actor, he was a smoking guitarist. I think he was one of Chet’s favorites. Wild Man who could pick a guitar with the best of them.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On the cd they play the version of Albert King's Overall Junction. It's one of the greatest pieces of the album. If you can buy'em.
It's money well spend.

sailor2005

WTF???? NO mention of Allan Holdsworth? John Abercrombie? Stanley Jordan? No Peter Frampton?
The others I like were at least mentioned once.

Last edited:

Blaspheme

Agree 'best' is ontologically pretty untenable. :)

But some of my longer-standing faves have been mentioned: Cooder, Fripp, Garcia, Hendrix, Prince, Santana, Zappa (alphabetical order). I enjoyed less familiar offerings here too: Yamashita, Agata, King (oldest post first) especially that noise-rock from Melt-Banana.

Others possibly overlooked for their guitar skills: Ani is utterly at home with her guitars:

PJ (ok joking, not much overlooked, but more the way she makes it growl and sing than ostentatious dexterity):

Yvette Young from Covet (definitely has the dexterity thing):

Top Bottom