• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Toku

Major Contributor
Looks like these are sold out. Is a new version coming soon?
Is it a discontinued model? Or is it a temporary suspension of production due to a shortage of semiconductors?
But Shenzhen Audio seems to have stock.

RHO

Major Contributor
And if I understand it correctly: when you lower the volume with the dx3pro digitally then the noise floor gets worse. Since the dx3pro has a SNR of about 117dB minus the 40dB digital attenuation would mean you now have a SNR of 77dB. Please correct me if I‘m wrong.

Edit: Or 117dB plus 9dB for high gain —> so 86dB instead of 77dB?
Increasing the gain usually increases noise also.
Like in this graph:
index.php

You see the jump in THD+N between low gain and high gain. I think this is predominantly the increase in noise.
Lowering signal amplitude also brings the signal closer to the noise.

ClosDeLaRoche

Is it a discontinued model? Or is it a temporary suspension of production due to a shortage of semiconductors?
But Shenzhen Audio seems to have stock.
I see no stock anywhere.

Hopefully this is an opportunity to refresh the model.

I like the product concept, all in one unit including a remote, Bluetooth and headphone amp for around $200, but this thing was plagued with issues.

Personally I got one with a broken volume knob. Twisting it one way would change the volume in the wrong direction for a step, then it would go the right direction. I encountered a DX7 Pro that did the exact same thing. I swore off of topping after that but I might give them another shot if they sort out these issues.

Toku

Major Contributor
I see no stock anywhere.

Hopefully this is an opportunity to refresh the model.

I like the product concept, all in one unit including a remote, Bluetooth and headphone amp for around $200, but this thing was plagued with issues.

Personally I got one with a broken volume knob. Twisting it one way would change the volume in the wrong direction for a step, then it would go the right direction. I encountered a DX7 Pro that did the exact same thing. I swore off of topping after that but I might give them another shot if they sort out these issues.
The volume of DX3Pro is not a general volume but a rotary encoder. In the structure inside, many electrodes are printed on the circumference of a disk-shaped insulating substrate, and the rotation angle is detected by rubbing it with a mechanical brush.
Due to its simple structure, the behavior you point out will inevitably occur. It will occur again if you use it even if you replace a new part.
The frequency of occurrence is proportional to the number of times the dial knob is turned.
If you don't like it, use the remote control to operate it.
I know the structure and drawbacks of this part, so I usually operate it with a remote control.

ClosDeLaRoche

The volume of DX3Pro is not a general volume but a rotary encoder. In the structure inside, many electrodes are printed on the circumference of a disk-shaped insulating substrate, and the rotation angle is detected by rubbing it with a mechanical brush.
Due to its simple structure, the behavior you point out will inevitably occur. It will occur again if you use it even if you replace a new part.
The frequency of occurrence is proportional to the number of times the dial knob is turned.
If you don't like it, use the remote control to operate it.
I know the structure and drawbacks of this part, so I usually operate it with a remote control.
Interesting, thanks for explaining the design of the knob.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
See what mod for Topping DX3Pro was made by an enthusiast from Ukraine.
Again? I have seen this posted somewhere. A lot of things are wrong in this video. Even the pdf for the dac chip is wrong. And there's no measurements shown after modification. I know it wouldn't measure any better.

Asma

theoretically, such modifications can give a tangible increase in sound quality by ear? or is it just self-deception?

Asma

some people who make mistakes are too convincing that they are right. it is confusing.

Kennedy

Just upgraded from my age old SMSL M3 to this beauty.
Didn't expect a huge difference, but it was noticeable within 5 seconds. Very pleased so far.

Cacophony

Will it be safe to run an Atom via the lineout (opa1612 stage) when either the opa2140 or transistor stage is broken?

The headphone out makes a massive loud click when headphones are connected and shuts off, but the lineout from testing seems not broken.

Sorry for reviving the thread, I haven't been able to use my dx3 for almost a year, got charged import duties for the replaced unit and didn't bother to get another, but apparently that was a mistake and I shouldn't have had to pay duties.

Update: I shouldn't assume it's still have opa2140 since they send me a "4.7ohm" version of the v1 version

Kennedy

What difference that you noticed?
Improved clarity, more balanced sound, better bass.

Well, it's been 3 weeks. I think it's safe to say I lost a good portion of my hearing.
Used to have my samsung music player on volume 3 and enjoy music just fine. Now I need minimum 4-5, 3 sounds almost like whispering.

Fluxed

I recently reset my Topping dx3 pro but now it stays on all the time even when the PC and TV are switched off, before it use to go off on its own anyone know the setting to make it auto switch on when an audio signal appears and off when nothing ?

I did try auto button with A-0 and A-C but didnt work

TLDRonin

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone have this problem with their DX3 Pro?

Whenever I touch/move it the usb disconnects and makes a clicking sound. Its terribly annoying since its so sensitive to any sort of movement

Fluxed

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone have this problem with their DX3 Pro?

Whenever I touch/move it the usb disconnects and makes a clicking sound. Its terribly annoying since its so sensitive to any sort of movement

Not ever had that issue, but that sounds like its a hardware fault. Have you tried to try a different usb cable and also try the power plug into a different electrical socket.

While you are checking the power plug check its fitting in firm into the back of the topping amp and its not loose.

Toku

Major Contributor
I thought DX3 Pro was discontinued, but it reappeared as DX3 Pro +.
I think that the missing AKM products such as AKM4493 were changed to other chips and renewed and reappeared.
This solved the question of the release of PA3s.

The FB Topping page states that it will be officially announced on September 28th at 10 AM.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Top Bottom