• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-5 vs. Adam Audio A5x vs. Adam Audio T5V

Jungle Child

First off, hello ASR! I am humbled to be a new member to explore and learn more about the world of audio that we all so dearly love!

So yes, I am currently asking a question as the title shows... Can anyone help me?

On the market for something that has clarity in all freq. ranges + an accurate and tight bass response that is just enough for mixing and mastering purposes in a home studio.

Not really concrete on if I actually want a 5 inch monitor or 7 inch but I'm pretty sure whichever I consider, from the help & advice you guys give, I can use with either platform. I've had HS7's in the past just to let you guys know.

What do you guys think?

Kali - I've heard great things about Kali IN's series but I'm not really knowledgeable on their line of monitors.

Adam Audio - I'm pretty sold on their brand and also done a lot of research on the brand & both A & T series line of monitors, so this is what I'm leaning towards as of NOW....

While I do understand the differences between 2 way & 3 way monitors, it doesn't matter for my use of mixing and mastering, I just need to get the job done right and damn good at that lol.

Can you guys give me a little bit of clarity on how adam matches up with kali monitors? OR recommend something even better ? Thanks ASR :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Kali. I'll admit, I'm biased against Adams somewhat, but the Kalis are straight up better designs.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here you go:

1622056433897.png

1622056444437.png

1622056450335.png

1622056502013.png

Can you audition both Kali IN-5 and Adam T5V?
Those would be my picks.

OP
Jungle Child

Jungle Child

Kali. I'll admit, I'm biased against Adams somewhat, but the Kalis are straight up better designs.
Is the soundstage clarity as accurate as Adams or MORE, which is the reason I even spoke of adams

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
We don't have spinorama for Kali IN-8 v2 or Adam A7X ... yet!

Kali IN-8 v1 (not v2):
1622060141048.png

Kali IN-8 v2 has some nice (advertised) improvements over v1:
-New DSP with smoother high frequency response.
-12dB self noise improvement.

Adam T7V:
1622060118138.png

I was going to recommend the Kali IN-8 v2, since your budget allows for it...but not sure about your space?

OP
Jungle Child

Jungle Child

We don't have spinorama for Kali IN-8 v2 or Adam A7X ... yet!

Kali IN-8 v1 (not v2):
View attachment 132128
Kali IN-8 v2 has some nice (advertised) improvements over v1:
-New DSP with smoother high frequency response.
-12dB self noise improvement.

Adam T7V:
View attachment 132127

I was going to recommend the Kali IN-8 v2, since your budget allows for it...but not sure about your space?
I've had a pair of HS7 so I would think an another inch wouldn't hurt lol, idk? But thanks btw!

The price between the IN-8 V2 & IN-5s are literally just an hundred dollar difference, BUT I wonder is that difference justified NOW that they are
literally the same monitor, I suppose, after the mods.
Have you used any of the these models or brands?

I really wanna know how Adams T series stack up to The Kali Audio IN series

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Have you used any of the these models or brands?
Sorry no. I have JBL 305P MKII and Genelec 8040B's.

I love my Genelec, of course! :cool:

As an upgrade pick, I'm going to point you to...Genelec 8030C's for US$1400/pair...but I understand you're working with a budget.
Here's what you get for US$1400/pair:
1622061021570.png

If that's not beautiful, I don't know what is... :p:D

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning

dfuller

Major Contributor
Is the soundstage clarity as accurate as Adams or MORE, which is the reason I even spoke of adams
Far better. Coaxials are a hell of a thing.

Also, I'd skip the A7Xs just because of their generally pretty scoopy sound.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The T5v might be fine for nearfield for you, but I notice from two meters away that battle scenes in Lord of the Rings are distorted and clipping. The IN-5 seems to go significantly louder, or it's handling the distortion much more gracefully according to my ears. (Specs suggest the same.)

I'd go with a cheap IN-8 Second Wave on Ebay, I believe they can be found for ~$670 or so.

Reasoning:
-Better port design
-Good bass extension
-More even vertical dispersion (if that's important to you)
-Better placement compensation on the back.

The T7v would be my minimum for an Adam, as the T5v only goes to 106 dB (103 for a single one I believe) which isn't low, but for some dynamic peaks it will be, and however it's handling distortion I don't like. The Devialet Phantom Reactor claims only 98dB but it doesn't sound as ragged when it's hitting that.

The IN-5 is 115 dB SPL and I think that's for one, so 118 for a pair, or the IN-8 is now ~120dB for a pair which is as high as I think most anyone would argue you need (unless you're listening to them further away, in which case, they will still work for that better than most of what's here.

The T7v goes to 110dB per pair, which is about half as loud as 120dB.

Note: I usually listen around 80dB per my calibrated Genelec mic with GLM, I don't recommend buying things based on loudness, and would recommend the Kali's even if they only went as loud as the Adam monitors here.

Note 2: If hiss bothers you, I'd stay away from the LP series of Kali monitors. My room is very quiet and it drives me nuts, as there are a few favorite songs that have quiet parts that are softer than the hiss. The IN-5 and IN-8v2 fix that. The original IN-8 still has hiss and I use them in my kitchen for non-critical listening though they seem to be fine for most reviewers who aren't bothered.

Low quality video, but here is the relative hiss of several monitors including Adam, Focal, JBL, Neumann:

Top Bottom