• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Munich High End 2018

edd9000

CPA-0757.jpg

Nagra:
CPA-0715.jpg

CPA-0713.jpg

CPA-0721.jpg

CPA-0718.jpg

Playing:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Love those typical EU apartment listening spaces. WOW.

CPA-0728.jpg

Can we get back to reality, now? :rolleyes:

Otherwise I see a pale imitation of 50YO Westinghouse, Altec, JBL, et al, systems.

Altec A5:

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
OP
edd9000

edd9000

Wilson Benesch/Trinnov:

CPA-0743.jpg

CPA-0744.jpg

WOD Audio/Cessaro/Bergmann/Ypsilon
CPA-0745.jpg

Vandersteen/Brinkmann
CPA-0746.jpg

CPA-0747.jpg

Vandersteens sounded very nice, bass was very well controlled, I believe it was active with some room correction applied.

OP
edd9000

edd9000

Wadax/Fono Acoutica
Avantguarde Speakers, Engstrom amplifiers.
CPA-0749.jpg

Enjoyed this. Think it was playing:

Kondo:
CPA-0756.jpg

CPA-0755.jpg

CPA-0753.jpg

CPA-0751.jpg

Thomas Mayer:

CPA-0759.jpg

CPA-0760.jpg

3D printed horns!

OP
edd9000

edd9000

TechDas:
CPA-0762.jpg

CPA-0764.jpg

Engstrom:
CPA-0765.jpg

CPA-0766.jpg

They weren't running the Palladians unfortunately.

Living Voice Olympian:
CPA-0772.jpg

These are stunning.

Playing:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Its original Western Electric horns and drivers, some GIP drivers. Basically a Korean Billionaires personal collection.

Ah,So not a commercial sales product. My Altec system is not for sale, either. Or for showpiece demos. I do recommend hearing this 'old-stuff' though - you may be surprised at how their clarity puts current loudspeakers to shame. They are big though. Luckily for me that is not a concern.:)

PS Korean company Silbatone does recreations of WE stuff. (Apologies, I missed the reference. I was unaware that Silbatone was now doing the show circuit for sales).

Altec Lansing drivers are still serviced/repaired and improved versions manufactured: https://greatplainsaudio.com/ They now also service JBL and Klipsch.

OP
edd9000

edd9000

Ah,So not a commercial sales product. My Altec system is not for sale, either. Or for showpiece demos. I do recommend hearing this 'old-stuff' though - you may be surprised at how their clarity puts current loudspeakers to shame. They are big though. Luckily for me that is not a concern.:)
No, not for sale, the GIP drivers are current production though. Well aware of JBL/Altec etc, heard various systems, certainly puts a lot to shame.

PS Korean company Silbatone does recreations of WE stuff. (sorry, I missed the reference).
They seem to make whatever they fancy, mostly new amplifiers using very rare original WE tubes. The horns and systems on display are usually originals and I assume just displayed for fun.

CPA-0726.jpg

OP
edd9000

edd9000

Tune Audio/Trafomatic Audio/Rockna
CPA-0774.jpg

APOLYT:
CPA-0778.jpg

CPA-0777.jpg

This thing was crazy, air suspended and air bearing.

ESD:
CPA-0783.jpg

Carbon fibre horns.

That's about all I got round or took photos of. Fun show, recommended.

The trip was really more about:

Munich Food.jpg

munich food 2-2.jpg

ruff burger-2.jpg

munich beer-2.jpg

With good friends :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Tune Audio/Trafomatic Audio/Rockna
View attachment 12638

APOLYT:
View attachment 12639
View attachment 12640

This thing was crazy, air suspended and air bearing.

ESD:
View attachment 12641

Carbon fibre horns.

That's about all I got round or took photos of. Fun show, recommended.

The trip was really more about:

View attachment 12642
View attachment 12643
View attachment 12644
View attachment 12645

With good friends :)
This is great thank you , umm beer and sausage ......

OP
edd9000

edd9000

What did the big Tune Audios sound like to you Edd, I've heard varied opinions?
Showing promise, a bit rough/balance not quite to my liking. I feel they might be asking it a bit much as a two way, or perhaps the smaller horn could do with being a bit larger. Very minor gripes though, still an excellent sounding setup. It was also right after the Olympians which have a very cohesive sound and nice tone.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Showing promise, a bit rough/balance not quite to my liking. I feel they might be asking it a bit much as a two way, or perhaps the smaller horn could do with being a bit larger. Very minor gripes though, still an excellent sounding setup. It was also right after the Olympians which have a very cohesive sound and nice tone.
Isn't it a 3-way with separate bass tapped horns? The main horn is indeed trying to cover a far wider range than is conventional for a horn though.

OP
edd9000

edd9000

Isn't it a 3-way with separate bass tapped horns? The main horn is indeed trying to cover a far wider range than is conventional for a horn though.
Yes sorry, I sort of ignored the tapped horns as they will likely just be doing the sub bass, which sounded pretty good. The main horn also seemed to sound ok, its hard to tell if what I heard was the mid horn running too high or the tweeter horn being asked to go too low. I think it is still a work in progress, but it was impressive. Not sure they would add much over your Animas though, perhaps you need a pair of WE 16As? :D

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes sorry, I sort of ignored the tapped horns as they will likely just be doing the sub bass, which sounded pretty good. The main horn also seemed to sound ok, its hard to tell if what I heard was the mid horn running too high or the tweeter horn being asked to go too low. I think it is still a work in progress, but it was impressive. Not sure they would add much over your Animas though, perhaps you need a pair of WE 16As? :D
Sheenagh loves the look of the Animas so no chance of any changes now, she is indifferent to the sound though, perfectly happy with Youtube on her laptop when researching repertoire for her next performance(s)...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
index.php

3D printed horns!
Woodworking needs a lot of help though! :) Looks like they went to the same guy to make cabinets that makes shipping containers in his day job! :)

Top Bottom