• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec on audio science

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had the 8260a’s/ 7270 subs here at the same time as the Grimm LS1’s arrived, the Grimm’s were every bit as revealing , every bit as transparent but they were much more enjoyable to listen to, they also had far less interaction with the room.
It would be interesting now to re-visit both systems and correlate the measurements of both to the subjective .
Keith

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I see the Genelec speaker in question is ported. This, alone, could be a major difference in the sound.

Sealed speaker -> controlled response all the way down.
Sealed speaker +DSP gives correct phase and time alignment -> accurately defined transients -> kick in the gut

Ported speaker -> no response below a definite cutoff
Ported speaker with or without DSP gives smeared transients (but no effect on steady state frequency response measurements) -> 'meh'

Guermantes

That's a very "intellectual" description..? When I have heard speakers I have liked, my reaction has been more along the lines of how "rich" and "real" they make the music sound - which I know to be the results of neutrality, but neutrality is not what I 'hear'. Compared to some of the descriptions I have seen in reviews of Kii, D&D, B&O, your description is very restrained. I'm still getting the impression that Genelec appeal to people because of their scientific credentials and supposedly impeccable measurements rather than gut-wrenching sound..?

That reminds of Marty DiBergi describing Spinal Tap: "I remember being knocked out by their... their exuberance, their raw power - and their punctuality." :D

Anyway, the description was intellectual because the criteria for selection was not really based on how the monitors produced affect but how they revealed small details or imperfections in the recordings. Much of what I do is the enhancement of poor recordings and I spend most of my time trying to dig voices or other sounds out of system noise or reduce the effect of additive noise and room convolution. Other times I am trying to see if the sound of a muzzle blast can identify a particular firearm or if a change in background ambience is an indication that an edit has occurred.

So I think you may be right, that in our case we paid some attention to the apparent science. But in the end it came down to the fact that we liked what we heard. I still like them and I find them non-fatiguing even if I have been listening to codec noise or electrical hum all day.

Guermantes

I see the Genelec speaker in question is ported. This, alone, could be a major difference in the sound.

Sealed speaker -> controlled response all the way down.
Sealed speaker +DSP gives correct phase and time alignment -> accurately defined transients -> kick in the gut

Ported speaker -> no response below a definite cutoff
Ported speaker with or without DSP gives smeared transients (but no effect on steady state frequency response measurements) -> 'meh'

I agree that ported designs are a compromise but all of the monitor designs we considered were ported -- even the JBL M2 is ported. Perhaps that is fashion rather than science at work.

I have both ported and sealed speakers for my home hi-fi. These particular sealed designs are passive and wonderfully coherent but restrained and anaemic. If I want an emotional charge, I will crank up the ported designs even if I know the bass is inaccurate. I have mixed music on both with satisfactory results, perhaps because I know their respective weaknesses.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My subjective impression is also that ported bass often feels "fatter". This can be quite enticing, even though I know that it's ultimately less fidelitous to the signal. With the D&D 8Cs, though, the bass is very engaging and far from feeling thin, even though it's sealed.

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
We would all find it very frustrating if Dr. Toole left the forum because of some discussion over Genelec. There is so much we can learn from him. So let's show him highest levels of respect. It is not like the Genelec designers are coming over here to teach as much as he is.

As to his book, it is mandatory reading in my book. You can disagree with it if you like but it has more useful information about audio than the combination of every other book I have read.

@amirm , I had no intention of being disrespectful. But I thought @Floyd Toole was a bit brief when he described Ilpo Martikainen, who founded Genelec 40 years ago to become a successful research-driven audio company out of nothing, despite this being a thread on "Genelec on science". A most respectful obituary from February 2017, written by AES Fellow John Watkinson is pasted below. Watkinson writes about his meeting with Martikainen in 1983:

"My recollections of Ilpo Martikainen go back to 1983, which turned out to be an interesting year. Finding myself once more in Eindhoven, this time for an AES Convention, I mused that the newly announced Compact Disc had shifted the audio quality bottleneck firmly onto the loudspeaker and that something would have to be done. It can be depressing for an acoustician wandering around a trade show looking at loudspeakers where the design flaws are visible from a distance, but suddenly, like finding a Bugatti in a car park full of Model Ts, I was drawn to something special: a loudspeaker carefully shaped to minimise diffraction that didn’t look like a coffin for a monkey. And around the back, instead of terminals, there was a power cable going in. This, I thought, was designed by someone who understands".

Evidently, Martikainen made a very positive and lasting impression on Watkinson who is normally very critical about what happens in audio. Watkinson describes Martikainen as an innovator, who set his ideas into marketable, yet very different products from mainstream. He did something many years ago that people on the internet are still debating in 2018 (active vs passive, diffraction, box material and design etc).

Recollection is a fragile thing and biases are everywhere; we leave something out and take other things in. I remember just recently, on this forum, Floyd wrote about Edgar Choueiri and his Bacch system:

"I think I have a slight. bias because in the early phases of his work, Dr. Chouieiri promoted it as if he had discovered binaural sound and crosstalk cancellation. There was a "gee whiz" quality to the promotions".

Choueiri is a professor of applied physics and aerospace engineering at Princeton University and - in one of his two contributions on ASR - felt the need to come to the fore to underline that it "would be preposterous for anyone since Wheatstone (for photo/video) and Cooper and Bauck (for audio) to claim they invented crosstalk cancellation (or binaural audio). My research team and myself go to great pains describing this history in our XTC-related papers and presentations".

Obviously, Edgar has a different recollection and story on what's happened. That's very natural and human; we are fragile and biased beings. And when we're not talking face to face, discussions may come out the wrong way.

So I was not intentionally disrespectful. However I see how things can get lost in translation.

Now, let's leave the emotional side and get to the audio oriented stuff.

In a previous post I launched the idea of measuring direct sound in room. And after a couple of more posts, Floyd now writes the following:

"As for EQing direct sound, if one was to do it accurately, one will have achieved an improved on-axis/listening window (direct sound) frequency response".

Because Genelec's room calibration system compensates for direct sound, I believe we have a case where both "flat people" and "tilted people" can unite:

(1) In-room measured response of a good speaker that is flat in anechoic chamber will have a tilted response curve in steady-state.
(2) In-room measured response of a good speaker that is flat in anechoic chamber will have a tilted response curve in steady-state, but a direct sound oriented room compensation system may take this anechoically flat speaker to the next level in-room.

A proponent of point (2) is in agreement with point (1), but it seems like a proponent of point (1) may not always be in the know of point (2). That's interesting. And since we now have two in-room curves, one SS curve and one DS curve, one could argue that it makes sense to try and achieve a flat curve in sweet spot listening position - if one talks about the DS curve, that is! SS wise, a flat DS curve will translate into a tilted SS curve.

How could Genelec achieve this DS compensation? Well, they have longer experience than most on active speakers and their professional usage. For example, in 2008, Genelec was represented in more than 2/3 of OB vans (https://www.genelec.com/sites/defau...enelec story/35th_anniversary_book_130507.pdf). So this is not "cult speakers" as some claimed. And when you about 40 years ago solved all the major speaker problems people still talk about, I believe it was logical to take the next step into the room. Genelec controls everything in the speaker, they control their own DSP software (despite claim previously that Genelec not make, develop their own DSP software), they calibrate in-house every microphone used for measurements, and so on. So if there is one company whose DSP and room compensation I would like to understand, it would be something like Genelec's.

It's interesting when we have episodes of paradox where agreement may be camouflaged as disagreement. I think Floyd is much in agreement with Genelec on audio science, but their usage of words differs; one talks about SS curves and the other talks about DS compensation and flat DS curves as well.

I also think it's enjoyable to see how differences in measurements may camouflage some things and yet discover other things. Say you measure how people react to the sound of different speakers in-room. And say the only difference between two speakers is size; however, the one speaker has a volume which is four times the volume of the second one. When you start measuring how these two speakers sound, one may find that two otherwise identical speakers are scored differently by listeners. Is the one speaker better than the second? Or does the perceived quality depend on the playback situation?

Genelec make a broad range of speakers where size is often the most apparent difference, and every speaker has a stated minimum and critical listening distance to achieve optimal playback conditions. An interesting hypothesis would be that speakers that fall ideally within the window of recommended listening distance will score higher than speakers that are not ideally placed within the listening window. So if one is not very careful to place a speaker based on the speaker's minimum and critical distance, one could conclude that the one speaker is better than the next even if the two speakers are identical on all parameters except size. Such a room of error will still enable us to identify poor speakers, but I wonder if the hunt on ideal speaker characteristics may get complicated if minimum distance and critical distance are not carefully identified.

Another big question of mine is Olive's 2009 article on "room correction" products. It would be very interesting to understand why we have bad room compensation products and why we have good room compensation products. And it would be interesting to know if the tested room compensations products compensated for steady state sound or direct sound.

My recollections of Ilpo Martikainen go back to 1983, which turned out to be an interesting year. Finding myself once more in Eindhoven, this time for an AES Convention, I mused that the newly announced Compact Disc had shifted the audio quality bottleneck firmly onto the loudspeaker and that something would have to be done.

It can be depressing for an acoustician wandering around a trade show looking at loudspeakers where the design flaws are visible from a distance, but suddenly, like finding a Bugatti in a car park full of Model Ts, I was drawn to something special: a loudspeaker carefully shaped to minimise diffraction that didn’t look like a coffin for a monkey. And around the back, instead of terminals, there was a power cable going in. This, I thought, was designed by someone who understands.

The bearded Englishman intently studying this miracle was soon joined by another bearded individual who, it transpired, was from Finland and was he who understood. That was how I met Ilpo, and we spent a considerable amount of time discussing loudspeaker technology and putting away schnapps from the Genelec refrigerator. I staggered off much later than anticipated, thinking that my return to audio after being in the computer industry had not been a mistake and thinking that this gentle Finn and his speakers were going to put a cat amongst the pigeons.

In addition to sharing beards, humour and a love of acoustics, Ilpo and I had more in common. He was also concerned with the environment and took active steps to make the Genelec factory as sustainable as possible. But I was never able to put away as much booze as any Finn. When I teased him about this affinity his reply was “We Finns are not heavy drinkers, we are serious drinkers.”

Genelec had started up in 1978 to meet the opportunity that arose when YLE needed a new generation of monitor speakers. Genelec soon moved to Iisalmi. This was just north of Ilpo’s birthplace, Lapinlahti, and was selected on the grounds that there would be peace and quiet there. As someone who deliberately gets lost in Scandinavia in order to think clearly, I could relate to that. As one who has actually been to Iisalmi, I should explain that it is practically in the centre of Finland and, like many Finnish towns, is wedged between a number of lakes. Development has meant that it’s not as quiet as it used to be, but the scenery still takes some beating.

As is well known, it turned out that the cat did scatter the pigeons. Active loudspeakers with line level crossovers and one amplifier per drive unit had to be the way forward. Stiff enclosures made from a variety of materials, including die cast metal, improved clarity. Careful shaping of the enclosure ensured that the directivity didn’t suddenly change with frequency. True to Ilpo’s ethics, the speakers were designed for a long service life and spare parts would be retained long after production ceased. Genelec deserved to succeed and it did.

And now Ilpo is gone; the much deserved happy retirement (or, knowing him, partial retirement) denied to him. As Spike Milligan said, when Marty Feldman died, “If life is a game of cards, someone is cheating.”

When the immediate shock of his death has dissipated, it will be possible to see further back and appreciate his life and achievements. There are those who succeed by indifference to the harm they cause, and there are those who succeed by doing things well, caring for others and treading lightly on the Earth. I shall always remember Ilpo as one of the latter. Such people are rare and we should treasure them.
Source: https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/...atkinson-remembers-ilpo-martikainen-1947-2017

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Because Genelec's room calibration system compensates for direct sound...
I think this is a contradiction in terms. "Direct sound" refers to the sound from the speaker alone, so there is no "room" involved at all. And Genelec are surely impeccable with respect to direct sound, so should not need calibrating any further than their factory setup..?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
They measure well off-axis, which represents realistically how we perceive reproduced sounds.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , I had no intention of being disrespectful.
The tone of your post was very personal, repeating Dr. Toole's name as "Floyd" over and over again. You could put up a defense for Genelec, its founders, etc. without the tone that you used.

In reverse, Dr. Toole has earned the right to be terse when he is posting in a forum with no compensation and after such a successful career and research.

BTW, I have owned Genelec speakers for nearly 30 years.

As hard as it might be, my suggestion is to apologize to Dr. Toole for the tone of your response and give us some hope that he comes back. You can do that in private. Since inception senior members have asked that we bring industry experts and luminaries. So here we had Dr. Toole and in just a short few days we chased him off. I don't know how I would ask any other people to show up if this is the way we treat them.

pirad

I really feel sorry for you Amirm, and for all of us who have due respect
for recognized authorithies. After my brief weeks here I feel the site lost
half its weight today. But at least you got a like from the perpetrator.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I too feel very sad, because ASR which stands for Audio Science had the absolute privilege of hosting one of the top guns, most respected audio scientist in our audio industry, and pouf, gone with the wind.

What it shows to me is this: audio forums are lacking educated members.
...Greatest respect for people, politeness, human interactions on friendly ground. It's like a stressing battle instead of peaceful sharing the learning and teaching experience, instead of advancing in the right direction.

I get trapped sometimes myself in it and I'm conscientious and I need to take positive action.

Without respect we are worth less than nothing. ...Zero.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
But... Svart really likes Genelec.
Keith

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I misread @Floyd Toole , got the wrong impression that he was belittling recently deceased Ilpo Martikainen, his legacy Genelec and their science.

In a subsequent comment of mine all the fun became a casualty. That’s a breach of ASR conduct where fun plays the central role.

Apologies for that.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I don’t blame @Floyd Toole for bidding us fair well , he gave us a good deal of his time and in return we threw some mud at him and treated him like some random guy on the Internet .

By the time I got wind of the exchange it was too late, if we ever have the good fortune to host such legendary pioneers of audio science as Dr . Toole again you can all be certain such treatment as we have seen here will result in the perpetrator having my boot in their arse propelling them out the door.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Never fear - I am not far away. I disconnected from a fruitless debate - it was going nowhere - not from the AVS forum. Thanks for the supportive comments.

AVS...you meant ASR. :)

AVS = Audio Vertical Scope - Canadian company of audio/video dealers, advertising audio/video mag online and gathering info on its members from their unprotected/unsecured accounts. They have been hacked, Vertical Scope, few years ago.

ASR = Audio Science Review - American forum forum founded by none other than Amir. Or, Amir Science Review and the gang.

Last edited:

Guermantes

Will purchase one for the work library . . .

Floyd Toole

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Blush! Yes, of course, ASR. I participate in both and my aging mind occasionally gets confused. Apologies! I appreciate a good discussion, wherever it originates. There is so much uninformed rubbish out there, it can be depressing.

Top Bottom