• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

List of Amir's Headphone PEQ filters

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a difference between EQ-ing to the Harman target some headphones that start out close to the target, and some headphones that start out quite a way away from the target?

That, I don't know, but it's probably a moot point as...

So, for example, the Sennheiser HE-1 is very close to Harman. The Stax SR-009 is not. I own the latter. If I equalize it to Harman, will it sound materially the same as some HE-1s equalized to Harman?

... this is where there could be a more or less moderate problem. If we were to carefully equalise two different headphones to the exact same target on one specific dummy head rig, they would measure differently (at least a little bit) on another dummy head rig.

Even more importantly, if we were to measure only one pair of headphones on real humans near the drum with probe microphones (https://www.etymotic.com/auditory-research/microphones/er-7c.html), the exact same pair of headphones would measure differently, and in a way that's highly unlikely to vary according to each human's natural HRTF (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function), so TLDR not in a beneficial way.

That study is behind a paywall but illustrates these variations across six listeners and compare them with dummy head measurements :
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=16877
What I like quite a bit about it is that quite a bit more care was taken to precisely position the probe tube than in other studies of its kind I've seen.

The variations are the most extremes at both ends of the scale. At lower frequencies mainly because of sealing variations and past 1khz because of the individual's ear anatomy. In the 1-5khz range they're moderate (a few dB), past 5khz or so they're not.
Since the variation between the six test subjects is highly inconsistent from headphones to headphones (six tested), then it's logical to conclude that the tested headphones don't interact with our ear's anatomy in a natural way, similar to, for example, speakers (if so we'd see the same variation across the six different headphones for the same listener).

Now this is just me, and probably wrong in some way, but the way I personally interpret such a study, beyond the obvious "don't over-interpret dummy head measurements past 5khz or so" for example, is that :
- these variations largely exceed threshold of audibility in parts of the FR spectrum. Since these variations necessarily are, at least to a degree, undesirable (not matching the way our anatomy induces variations with speakers / natural sound sources), they could explain the differences people hear between headphones, even when equalised to the same target on a dummy head.
- but these variations tend to be, at least below 5khz or so, lower than the variations we see across headphones in general.
So it lends credence to the idea that we can know one thing or two about what a desirable target curve should be, but that once we're close to it it's difficult to know which headphones will suit someone better than another.

And we haven't touched other subjects such as measurements methodology variation, sample variation, positional variations, pad wear, etc...

TLDR : if equalised to Harman's target according to a third party measurement and preset, the likelihood that the HE-1 and 009 will actually have the same FR curve at your own eardrum is next to zero, and it's highly likely that the difference will be above threshold of audibility (but probably less so than without any attempt to match their FR curve in the first place, as at least one of them deviated quite a bit from it).

If you want to see my own limited experience of these issues at least below 1khz (I have no reliable way to know what happens above, and even below take my own experiment with a pinch of salt) between a HD560S and a HD650 on my own head, equalised to Harman : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-at-a-breakthrough-value.943107/post-16300055

Last edited:

onchuner

Thank you for great work
Does anyone know if it's possible to setup RME ADI-DAC 2 FS to use Amir's EQ settings?
I own HD-650

m8o

Forum Donor
Thank you for great work
Does anyone know if it's possible to setup RME ADI-DAC 2 FS to use Amir's EQ settings?
I own HD-650
Your user manual for the unit says yes. See pages 21 - 24.

pokerbarlo

@sweetchaos I have Peace installed on my computer sources include foobar and deezer. DAC: Topping E30 and Headphone Amp Topping L30. The eq only works when I output to my surround sound receiver and speakers but it doesn't work when I output to my DAC. Are there settings I am missing?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
@sweetchaos I have Peace installed on my computer sources include foobar and deezer. DAC: Topping E30 and Headphone Amp Topping L30. The eq only works when I output to my surround sound receiver and speakers but it doesn't work when I output to my DAC. Are there settings I am missing?
Did you check Configurator (C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\Configurator.exe)?
Your DAC (Topping E30) should be enabled there.
Here's my DAC (Topping D10):
1621959482281.png

Alternatively, take a look at:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amirs-headphone-peq-filters.18590/post-699607

pokerbarlo

What sample rate are most people using in Window 10 device settings? Since I want EqualizerAPO to EQ all media sources (Spotify, Tidal, YouTube, foobar2000, JRiver) then I need to use the system mixer.

Mr4nT4r

Hi everyone

I have some issue with the Equalizer, it's work but I didn't hear any difference. I think the difference is so low to be heard.

I have HD650 with JDS Labs Element II

Jumbotron

Hi everyone

I have some issue with the Equalizer, it's work but I didn't hear any difference. I think the difference is so low to be heard.

I have HD650 with JDS Labs Element II
Which equalizer are you using? If it is Equalizer APO, you may need to enable the troubleshooting options on its configurator and try installing it on your device as SFX/MFX or SFX/EFX (experimental). In my case, neither the recommended LFX/GFX nor SFX/MFX worked. Switching to SFX/EFX (experimental) did the trick for me.

Mr4nT4r

Which equalizer are you using? If it is Equalizer APO, you may need to enable the troubleshooting options on its configurator and try installing it on your device as SFX/MFX or SFX/EFX (experimental). In my case, neither the recommended LFX/GFX nor SFX/MFX worked. Switching to SFX/EFX (experimental) did the trick for me.

I use Equlizer APO. it's working, how I know? because when I increase the filter dB to much I hear the changes but for the filter below I don't hear anything has changed.

Preamp: -8.5 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 40 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 75 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 7600 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 13700 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4.0

Jumbotron

@Mr4nT4r

Well, that is strange indeed. With a negative gain of 8.5 dB in the preamp section, you should hear a difference between having the eq ON and OFF very clearly.

EDIT: Why do you not try what I suggested in my previous post? You have nothing to lose really.

Mr4nT4r

@Mr4nT4r

Well, that is strange indeed. With a negative gain of 8.5 dB in the preamp section, you should hear a difference between having the eq ON and OFF very clearly.

the Preamp: -8.5 dB is the only difference but there is no difference between having the eq with Filters ON and the default Filters with the only Preamp: -8.5 dB no changes in filters all at 0

Mr4nT4r

what I mean these filters
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 13700 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4.

I don't hear their changes compared to a default filter with the Preamp: -8.5 dB but without the filters changes

Jumbotron

what I mean these filters
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 13700 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4.

I don't hear their changes compared to a default filter with the Preamp: -8.5 dB but without the filters changes
Honestly, I think that those filters, with those gains, should make a noticeable difference in sound. If you can't hear a difference when you apply them, my bet is that your EQ is not working properly.

gaspoweredcat

since the LCD-2 isnt covered (ive never even heard of LCD-24) and you cant convert wavelet profiles does anyone know if itd have any audible impact if i ran an android emulator running deezer and wavelet on my PC instead of just playing from the PC directly and trying to bodge the EQ settings myself which ill never be happy with and tweak endlessly

Top Bottom