• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TIDAL accused of deliberately falsifying streaming numbers

leonroy

Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
iu

Why I dropped Tidal after one month...

Their lame response...

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And people wonder why I refuse to do business with JayZ and his gangster crew.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a rural grizzly growing up I always thought that I had missed out on all the gangster lifestyle. Now I can claim membership. Rihanna's "Bitch, better have my honey" is my go to song.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Isn't this story 1.5 years old already?
If so, there doesn't really seem to be any conclusions or consequences...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
What will Roon do? All streaming eggs in the Tidal basket.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's a bummer. Really hope they team up with others. But I can't in good conscience keep on supporting Tidal now.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Yes, that's a bummer. Really hope they team up with others. But I can't in good conscience keep on supporting Tidal now.

Qobuz have, previously when they detailed their US expansion plans after summer 2018, said they will support a cooperation with Roon.

I guess Roon needs to secure that relationship now.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Isn't this story 1.5 years old already?
If so, there doesn't really seem to be any conclusions or consequences...
The original story was that they had exaggerated number of members they had.

This one implies they funnelled money from investors into their own pockets. By over-reporting the number of plays, they paid more to labels who in turn paid them more.

If true, they are being so stupid. For this "little" money risk going to jail?

Maybe they thought in the process of inflating plays, they make themselves look more popular than others.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Well, yes, if Beyoncé and, especially if the ever credible, Kanye West say so against their evil rival JayZ, it must be true, right?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
This one implies they funnelled money from investors into their own pockets. By over-reporting the number of plays, they paid more to labels who in turn paid them more.
I wondered if there was a system where they simply divide up their total subscription receipts between the artists based on number of plays (and keep a percentage as profit)..? That would fit with the idea of falsifying plays in order to channel money to favoured artists - otherwise it seems a bit counter-intuitive.

(But I have long since realised that I don't have any business acumen at all so I'm probably just embarrassing myself with this suggestion...:))

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I’m surprised there isn’t more fraud and theft inside streaming businesses. It seems like there’s no transparency or controls over exact streaming counts.

dc655321

Major Contributor
I’m surprised there isn’t more fraud and theft inside streaming businesses. It seems like there’s no transparency or controls over exact streaming counts.

As my philosophically brilliant but morally ambiguous grandfather used to say, "...it ain't illegal if you don't get caught..." ;-)

Top Bottom