• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

Is there an explanation why the bass distortion (slightly) decreases as you increase the volume? it seems to be at its lowest at 104 dB

seems quite strange to me.

dasherzx

Focal utopia also has a review on ASR, you can check that before you decide. What is your view on money? Do you want to get the best of best or more towards high cost to performance ratio? Focal utopia has lots of good subjective reviews but I would not trust every word from those reviews. I have heard Focal headphones all have less sound stage compare to other headphones, but do research on this one because I am not very sure. From objective measurement He6se is nearly perfect if you have eq, personally I will get He6se and use the money to get amp if current amp is not powerful enough.
yes, they both seem to measure well and im spoiled for a choice... :). you're right, money does play a role, there's no point doubling down as long as a setup makes me tap my feet and sing to the tune. already have an a90 amp so it should be fine per the discussions here

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@amirm

Is there an explanation why the bass distortion (slightly) decreases as you increase the volume? it seems to be at its lowest at 104 dB

seems quite strange to me.

Background noise is relatively lower and along with distortion products the test fixture also picks up background noise. This is visible in the 94dB plot as 'higher distortion' but actually is measured background noise.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is in my book since I consider EQ mandatory for every audio system. Now, if someone handed me a perfect headphone without it, I would be sure to note it. As it is, there would be almost none recommended if we can't use EQ.

Well you have already 7 on the list of recommendation without EQ. And there are still good ones left to catch, even though most headphones are garbage IMO.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
BTW this is with the standard pad. A velour one also came with it which I did not use.

Could you do an FR measurement with the velour pad to see how close it gets to the original HE6 when similar pads are used?

DSS

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Hifiman HE6se planar magnetic headphone. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,800. I had previously reviewed the now discontinued Hifiman HE6 so great to see how the replacement performs.

The HE6se distinguishes itself with new headband, cups, etc.:

View attachment 131031

Very unusual ultralight "tube like" cable comes with the headphone:
View attachment 131032

It has a clear silicone like outer jacket and possible Litz wiring inside. It crackles unfortunately right by the connectors but otherwise works well.

I had to extend the headband to max to get it to fit on my measurement fixture and my head. So if you have larger head, be sure you can try it out and return if you don't get good fit. This also caused a bit of undue pressure on my ears/head. It is not bad but it is not as comfortable as I remember the HE6 being.

The H6se is the second heaviest headphone I have tested so far (since I started to keep track):
View attachment 131035

Cup dimensions are 57x57x22 mm (height x width x depth). Note that the cup depth is asymmetrical so that is approximate.

The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. I searched for any and all measurements I could find online. Alas while a number of them are close to mine, none are using the exact fixture down to coupler and pinna. As you will see, I have confirmed the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers specially in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests.

Hifiman HE6se Measurements
As usual we start with our frequency response:

View attachment 131036

The overall signature is very close to the He6 with its dead flat bass and mid-range response and shortfall after that. There is a bit less peaking around 4 kHz. From then on, there is similarity but measurement accuracy drops off especially with new pad and such.

Relative frequency response to target guides us in developing equalization curve:
View attachment 131037

The HE6 had very low distortion. The HE6se bests that yet again:

View attachment 131038

Other than a couple of peaks at 114 dBSPL, this headphone doesn't seem to know the meaning of distortion!

We have a bit exceeding our 40 dB threshold but we have a bit of peaking there so we can pull that down and lower its impact:
View attachment 131039

Group delay shows good response in bass and usually fuzziness in midrange in this class of headphone:

View attachment 131042

This is very different than HE6 as it would be due to different cup configuration.

What was a puzzler was headphone impedance:

View attachment 131043

Company spec is 50 ohm which matches that of HE6. They say the same driver is used so we should be getting the same impedance but I am seeing 64 ohm. This is an automated test so not sure how there can be this much error. Wonder if newer drivers are a bit different.

Sensitivity is a bit lower but that could be sample to sample variation:
View attachment 131046

Then again it could be due to higher impedance of the driver.

Hifiman HE6se Listening Tests and Equalization
I listened for a few seconds and then selected my HE6 preset in Roon. The positive transformation was unmistakable. Everything improved across the board. However, the sound had a bit of brightness that surprised me. I made one slight adjustment to 4 kHz region but did not make much of a difference. The biggest improvement came from optimizing the bass EQ:

View attachment 131048

With HE6, I just threw a shelving EQ at it and it made such a positive difference that I did not try to optimize it further. I did that now and boy did it balance the sound nicely and gave me that gorgeous sub-bass with incredible resolution and fidelity.

To give you an idea how good it now sounded, I could not weight to take a picture of the HE6se so that I could wear it again and listen to the rest of my playlist! :) This is one of my reference tracks that sounds so gorgeous on this headphone:

Conclusions
Many movie sequels are terrible. It is good to see that Hifiman has more or less resurrected the HE6 in the HE6se. Overall characteristics remains and with some EQ, it sounds incredibly good with its great bass capability and near absence of distortion. For me personally, it doesn't fit as well so it wouldn't be something I would purchase but you may think otherwise.

Overall I am going to happily recommend the Hifiman HE6Se with equalization. Even without EQ, it can be a fine choice. But why settle for that???

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Great reference track!
The headphone is too expansive for me. I am so happy with my HD6xx, I think gets close for a fraction of the price!

GaryH

Major Contributor
Overpriced with huge dip between 1 and 3 kHz and peaking at 4 kHz all where our ears are most sensitive. Sundara, 4xx and 400i 2020 are better at a fraction of the cost.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They are only better on a list generated by an algorithm based on measurements on a specific rig and not ranked to tilt (tonal character) either.
It's just a list. Very similar to a SINAD ranking.

KiyPhi

Wow, those distortion numbers are impressive. I have to wonder how the build will hold up over time though (Hifiman doesn’t have a great reputation for durability.) Have they improved their QA/QC in recent years?
I've had no problem with the 5 Hifiman headphones I've owned. The Drop headphone could be better but the rest are solid.

KiyPhi

Good review. Its stopped me looking for second hand HE6. Unfortunately it has me looking harder at new and second hand HE6 SE. Dammit!

Anyone want to sell?
I was seriously considering selling these (the pair measured) before Amir measured them since I just got the Empyrean and that would help my bank account hurt less, lol. But I'm a bit unsure now with these great results, I might keep them, I might sell. Depends on the offer and what my account looks like next time I check.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems pretty flawless this headphone then, at least after EQ is applied, and the frequency response isn't too jagged in the treble which can be a common flaw in planar headphones judging by past reviews. Expensive headphone, but pretty flawless and a lot better than a lot of uber expensive headphones out there....I wonder what the soundstage of this headphone is like, if it can be anything like the HD800s in terms of soundstage....both are similar price but HE6se has lower distortion, I wonder about the soundstage.

EDIT: ok read some of the comments in the thread now, and Amir is saying soundstage is not as "magical" as HD800s from his recollection. Probably a close race then in which headphone to prefer between this one & HD800s given that they are similar pricing - tradeoff between distortion & soundstage as the best attributes of each headphone....but HD800s would suit me better if I was gonna buy one of the two (....soundstage).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems pretty flawless this headphone then, at least after EQ is applied, and the frequency response isn't too jagged in the treble which can be a common flaw in planar headphones judging by past reviews. Expensive headphone, but pretty flawless and a lot better than a lot of uber expensive headphones out there....I wonder what the soundstage of this headphone is like, if it can be anything like the HD800s in terms of soundstage....both are similar price but HE6se has lower distortion, I wonder about the soundstage.

EDIT: ok read some of the comments in the thread now, and Amir is saying soundstage is not as "magical" as HD800s from his recollection. Probably a close race then in which headphone to prefer between this one & HD800s given that they are similar pricing - tradeoff between distortion & soundstage as the best attributes of each headphone....but HD800s would suit me better if I was gonna buy one of the two (....soundstage).

The Hifiman annoyingly doesnt have the same kind of second hand market and seems to hold RRP far better , so the 800S can be had for a fair bit less, especially if you are prepared to go second hand- and doubly so if you choose the 800 (non S) .

I worry about the comfort of the Hifiman too- for me the Senn 800/S is pretty perfect from a comfort/ weight/ fit perspective- the HE6SE looks like a massively heavier version of the HE400 variants - which dont win any comfort awards for me.

B4ICU

HP:
The way I like less to listen to my music. The best is live.
Second best is at home, with a good sound system in a quiet room.
Next is in my car (I have an enhanced sound system).
HP are last...
Sound leaks the stage, mostly closed between L and R ears and I hate the sound coming from top of my head (Mono).
The part hits me next, is comfort: First is that I live in a hot climate, so in summer things get sweaty. It gets to a moment, that it's way better
without the HP on. The first impression if no climent gets involved, is the comfort. Pressure, contact area, fetigu.
The HP usually comes off, not because I'm done listening, but because they hurt my ears or get very uncomfortable.
Sound:
It's a common say, that you can get from HP a sound quality, for 1/10 of the price you'll get from a full sound system. Big save.
I would expel the sport BT HP, NC for flights and light weight for commute. Some would be a real danger, if you cross a road, or ride a bike.
Add some cellphone watching, using and it gets hectic. Your attention ignore the dangers around, as cars etc'.

Back to high end HP. The best ever, was a STAX. Long time ago. I also liked Sennheiser. I find the new HD-800 and 650 to have a dull sound. Dead.
I use now an AKG-Q701. It's ok. Well built, "AKG" and still never could wear it longer than 1 hr.
To spend $1,800 or $8,000 is out of the question.

Dana reed

It is in my book since I consider EQ mandatory for every audio system. Now, if someone handed me a perfect headphone without it, I would be sure to note it. As it is, there would be almost none recommended if we can't use EQ.
would this change your LCD-X review to recommended vs the headless panther you gave it? I'd agree that Audeze headphones are somewhat meh without EQ, but with it they are among the best, and can handle loads of EQ and power without much distortion.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hifiman annoyingly doesnt have the same kind of second hand market and seems to hold RRP far better , so the 800S can be had for a fair bit less, especially if you are prepared to go second hand- and doubly so if you choose the 800 (non S) .

I worry about the comfort of the Hifiman too- for me the Senn 800/S is pretty perfect from a comfort/ weight/ fit perspective- the HE6SE looks like a massively heavier version of the HE400 variants - which dont win any comfort awards for me.
Good points on the second hand market, that would definitely weigh into any decisions folks would make when comparing the two.

Top Bottom