• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A (Japanese website)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's listed at the Yamaha USA website too.
It appears to be lots of technology and hardware for a decent price comparatively speaking.
Maybe Yamaha is trying to regain their surround sound glory of the 1990's when nobody could touch Yamaha surround sound hardware and software.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears the heatsinks are very lightweight and of a inexpensive construction. I expect more for the power capabilities of this model.
article-1280x720.c91ae49c.jpg

d10701-509-521867-21.jpg

OP
C

Cameron Hamill

Forum Donor
Thanks very much for replying Doodski. Do you think that having XLR inputs on a receiver is a big advantage? This one has XLR inputs.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
One thing I noticed (but might have missed) the lack of any 4 ohm power ratings. That may be related to @Doodski observation of limited heat sink design.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the model has a DA converter onboard it might not be a priority for owners to use a separate outboard DA converter that will have balanced output and so the use of the balanced input would maybe be for a disc player or other digital high quality source. Other than that the balanced input is handy and is becoming more common with each new model that many manufacturers are releasing.

AdamG

Forum Donor
The blurry pic of the rear panel indicates speaker impedance specs.
I also searched the owners manual and found the following details.
View attachment 130997
View attachment 130998
View attachment 130999
Interesting don’t think I have ever seen specs presented this way before. So, the front L,C,R can be 4 ohm and the rest at least 6 ohms. From a energy management perspective it makes sense that the front 3 have the most power supplied/capacity. Thank you for your reply. I only glanced at the Spec sheet page.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting don’t think I have ever seen specs presented this way before. So, the front L,C,R can be 4 ohm and the rest at least 6 ohms. From a energy management perspective it makes sense that the front 3 have the most power supplied/capacity. Thank you for your reply. I only glanced at the Spec sheet page.
It appears from the owner's manual amplifier specs that the power supply gets loaded down when multiple channels are operating and that self regulates the power output for multi-channel operation and it limits the power output of any specific channel. This is not a amp for running sine waves or pink noise into load resisters for a long time. It's for surround sound listening to movies and music otherwise it will probably become very hot.

I think from the rear panel that the "Front 2 speakers" can be 4 Ohm but all other must be 6 Ohm or more.

AdamG

Forum Donor
It appears from the owner's manual amplifier specs that the power supply gets loaded down when multiple channels are operating and that self regulates the power output for multi-channel operation and it limits the power output of any specific channel. This is not a amp for running sine waves or pink noise into load resisters for a long time. It's for surround sound listening to movies and music otherwise it will probably become very hot.

I think from the rear panel that the "Front 2 speakers" can be 4 Ohm but all other must be 6 Ohm or more.
I stand corrected. Front speakers in my mind includes the center channel. :D

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least 4ohms or at least 6ohms is a concern. Has there been a speaker Amir has measured that doesn't dip below 4 ohms at some point in the frequency range?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Wol-shiver

They make great "mid-fi" amplifiers. From the 2000 series up, they are good performers particularly. I hope to see our Lord here review the next amps from Yamaha

Competent UI, processing, application integration etc.

They ypao/rsc worked well for my room.

Prior amp was an rxv1900. Great amp too.

Strangely, the A6A seems to have the same power across less Channels.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cameron Hamill

Forum Donor
Because the model has a DA converter onboard it might not be a priority for owners to use a separate outboard DA converter that will have balanced output and so the use of the balanced input would maybe be for a disc player or other digital high quality source. Other than that the balanced input is handy and is becoming more common with each new model that many manufacturers are releasing.
Thank you very much for your explanation!

OP
C

Cameron Hamill

Forum Donor

For the model below the A8A, the A6A it's $3,699 Australian. That's about $500 Australian below a Denon 4700H. I'm considering the A8A, A6A or the Denon 4700H. But I'll wait for reviews on the new Yamaha's. The 4700H is fairly well reviewed and well known. I feel it will take quite a long time before it's known about these upcoming Yamaha's. I'm not sure I can wait that long. Lol.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 150wpower level and 0.06% distortion at 8ohms is competitive even at that price. I am a bit concerned that the lack of solid 4ohm power and distortion rating means the amp cannot handle much current. Which would potentially cause more clipping and real world distortion than the competing Denon at 125wpc. Will see when the measurements come out.

Top Bottom