• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

Freeway

Been on a dry spell for awhile now.
First because I have been having a hard time finding whole albums I would want to listen to.
Second, of the last three albums I have found, two are not available in any hard copy, only download. The third album, the cd is rare for purchase and the song list on it is short of the songs showing on Spotify.
After reading about Merck Mercuriadis I feel like going on a buying spree.

pagan84

Ideally I would like to support artists, not labels, but that's nearly impossible so I go with CDs (and digital via Bandcamp).
Recently: Beatles the Remixes from 2017-19 and 'BBC sessions' by Led Zeppelin (remastered 3CD edition from 2016).

Semla

Pharoah Sanders was in a Carla Bley Band or two.

In one tune, I think it was on the "Escalator Over the Hill" album, he played what I referred to as "that heinous sax solo" when speaking to my Audio Buddy, and he knew exactly to what I was referring...
Wasn't that Gato Barbieri?

Anyway, this one is pretty mellow.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last week: the Beatles red and blue and sgt peppers lonely hearts club band
The week before Ry Cooder Borderline and the prodigal son and a few from Bob Dylan P.J.Harvey Roger Waters and i am wishing for the Gimme some truth 2 cd's and blue ray from John Lennon, but my budget is gone

MarkS

Major Contributor
If one can post on ASR, they can stream!

OK, tell me how to do it. I have a 2-ch system driven by a 10-year-old receiver with analog-only inputs. I'm typing this on an aging MacBook Air but its software is up to date. No possibility of a wired ethernet connection to any device close to the receiver. I also have an iphone 6 running iOS 12.5.3 (highest level it will run, per Apple).

I need detailed instructions, at the lowest possible level, in order to get anything computery to work.

Brianc

I purchase maybe 5 or 6 new CDs a year (link to latest). Used more variable; two last year I think (both from Goodwill but sold on Amazon), maybe 10 the year before that. I also checkout CDs from local library and rip to file. Snowpoet - Wait For Me - Amazon.com Music

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't do streaming. It seems way too complicated to me.
Easyest, Airbook headphone out cable to RCA L & R plugs into your receiver. Sign up for the streamer of your choice, download the desktop app. After that it's just one giant jukebox with just about every album you could ever want in it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The only new discs I've purchased in a number of years have been multich music CD, SACD, DVD, and BluRays.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
John Darko buys CDs.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do BD and UHD count? I am building an UHD movie collection so , patiently, every month I buy a few, at least 5.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not purchased at a retail store, but I look for original or higher dynamic range releases of 80's rock that aren't remastered. Journey, Toto, INXS, etc.

I'd also have a copy of the Illuminated Star Voyager CDs from Interstellar, but it looks like they didn't make too many and they are $300 each now. Maybe after I get a Beosound 9000 I'll splurge. Don't currently have a CD player.

1621292990939.png

MarkS

Major Contributor
Easyest, Airbook headphone out cable to RCA L & R plugs into your receiver.
Awkward, but I suppose it's doable.

Sign up for the streamer of your choice, download the desktop app. After that it's just one giant jukebox with just about every album you could ever want in it.
Hmmm .... I just looked at Qobuz, recommended by ludwig-van.com as "for musical omnivores", and it seems that my personal Ives collection is larger than theirs.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Recently picked up the 2020 cardboard "Mini LP" CD re-issues of Mercyful Fate's early albums and a few from King Diamond, taken from the original source tapes, sound AWESOME.
Have also been buying King Crimson's 40th Anniversary CD/DVD-Audio releases, think I have them all now. And scrounged around for Opeth's surround DVD-A releases, that is now complete.
Always buying movies on disc, just got the 1976 King Kong Blu from Shout! Factory with the limited poster.

Canuck57

Forum Donor
I've bought probably 100 albums the past year, about 10 were vinyl.
Bob Dylan, Canned Heat, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Holly Cole, Black Keys, to name a few.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
@MarkS Lets ask @AdamG247 to move posts #33 and #39 (and this one) to a separate thread, as there might be a few follow-on questions/answers/discussion… Thanks, Adam!
Start the thread and link it here and I will be happy to oblige.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, I bought 5 CDs about a month ago. I'm a Classical music listener mainly and I suspect Classical listeners are more likely than most to by CDs, (no stats, just my guess). I don't stream because I resent monthly payments to listen.

Top Bottom