• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impossible, unless they can provide a lossless Bluetooth codec none of us are currently privy to..

There are some Apple fans saying they want AptX HD support, but Apple hasn't said anything. Qualcomm claims AptX HD supports 24 bit music quality over Bluetooth, but I'm a skeptic.

aptx-hd

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would rather like that streaming services would include all versions of albums including original masters, no matter if it is AAC or CD-quality.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I would rather like that streaming services would include all versions of albums including original masters, no matter if it is AAC or CD-quality.
That like saying Netflix or Amazon should have all movies,content cost money

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your move, Spotify

Since Spotify already announced Spotify HiFi in February, it will end with a price war. And features/ease of use.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Perhaps, but why bother with lossless when original masters often are superior to re-masters.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

No, they should just have all versions of the movies that they already provide.

I think it’s a fantastic idea. But until the one thing could be improved: clearly show what the source of the master is, so you can at least find out if it’s a decent version, or some botched remaster made decades later.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, they should just have all versions of the movies that they already provide.

I think it’s a fantastic idea. But until the one thing could be improved: clearly show what the source of the master is, so you can at least find out if it’s a decent version, or some botched remaster made decades later.

One cool thing about Amazon Music, sometimes, is that selected albums have additional tracks that are interesting. For example, the Amazon version of Paul Simon's Kodachrome album has some demo tracks and additional studio takes.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Since Spotify already announced Spotify HiFi in February, it will end with a price war. And features/ease of use.
And perhaps profits. Apple Music doesn’t necessarily have to be a profit center in and of itself (think of Apple Maps). It’s primarily a value-added service to further lock people into the Apple ecosystem to sell more iPhones. Spotify, on the other hand, has never made a profit and will need to do so at some point.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
And perhaps profits. Apple Music doesn’t necessarily have to be a profit center in and of itself (think of Apple Maps). It’s primarily a value-added service to lock people into the Apple ecosystem to sell more iPhones. Spotify, on the other hand, has never made a profit and will need to do so at some point.
I think Apple and Amazon are trying to drive Spotify out of business, just a thought. Spotify needs to make money.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And perhaps profits. Apple Music doesn’t necessarily have to be a profit center in and of itself (think of Apple Maps). It’s a value-added service to lock people into the Apple ecosystem to sell more iPhones. Spotify, on the other hand, has never made a profit and will need to do so at some point.

Wishful thinking, Apple Music generated $4.1B of revenue in 2020, about 40% of the size of AMD, and growing at least as fast.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Imagine how much Amazon music made.

We'll probably never know. Apple and Amazon both group their content streaming services into a larger overall business, so (to my knowledge) one can't know how profitable they are. I suspect very profitable, but I don't have any facts. Only a revenue number.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Wishful thinking, Apple Music generated $4.1B of revenue in 2020, about 40% of the size of AMD, and growing at least as fast.
Sure, but it’s not Apple’s primary business by any stretch. Spotify, on the other hand, lives or dies by streaming profits, which they’ve been unable to generate so far (they’ve lost $2.8 billion over the past 10 years). You have to wonder how much longer that can go on.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just remember streaming over bluetooth irrespective of the codec is lossy. Lossless or hi-res audio formats are not going to play to their utmost data due to transmission capacity of codecs.

Top Bottom