• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I did, waiting for it to arrive.

No need to extoll the virtues of streaming here, or some bargain purchase at GoodWill or the Dollar Store, just curious what (if anything) folks here might have actually physically (no downloads either) purchased at retail.

Stephanie Jones

1621266712861.png

Thanks to whoever it was here that posted one of her videos.

Semla

Pharoah Sanders & Floating Points - Promises

and a couple of classical CDs in the local thrift store (Mozart, Janáček, Holst, Bach, Dvořák and Bloch), about $1 each. Last month I bought Jóhann Jóhannsson's Retrospective I and II - a collection with some essays on his work.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Pharoah Sanders

Pharoah Sanders was in a Carla Bley Band or two.

In one tune, I think it was on the "Escalator Over the Hill" album, he played what I referred to as "that heinous sax solo" when speaking to my Audio Buddy, and he knew exactly to what I was referring...

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have recently.

Joey DeFrancesco featuring Joe Doggs (Joe Pesci).

Difficult to find in streaming service.

Gregss

Hello,
Yes, we still buy CD's. Store them on our computer in FLAC format so if they get scratched, can burn a new copy.

I do like having the actual physical disks as if (when) the internet goes down, can still enjoy music. Personally think we are getting so dependent on the internet that if it has problems ( technical or even attacked ), things will not go well for people or the economy.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a friend that owns a record store that I have been trying to support recently (sadly, the store has not survived our latest Covid lockdown here). The one thing that shocked me was how many albums were no longer available on CD any more. Like the Talking Heads back catalogue, for example. He told me that they were getting regular lists of thousands of releases that were being deleted by the record companies.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New as: just released, ot new as: not possessed until then?

I buy several (mostly "old") vinyl records a month (stuff that is not available on CD nor digitally).

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
New as: just released, or new as: not possessed until then?

"New" as in still in the manufacturers shrink wrap, as typically sold by a Music Retailer or Liquidator or direct from the Artist, I suppose.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the music I have is newly bought shrink-wrapped CDs. I get two or three a week, I guess. I joined this forum (a year ago tomorrow!) hoping to surreptitiously soak up some file/streaming/modern-day capabilities, but it hasn't worked at all. I guess I have a mental block. I see people's screenshots of their library databases and think, ugh. Just can't do it.

jensgk

Forum Donor
I often buy old, used CD's, but the most recent brand new CD I bought was "Amazônia" by Jean-Michel Jarre :)

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I just bought another. Been watching it for a while, impulse buy.

Itibere Zwarg, long-time bassist for Hermeto Pascoal, probably using Itibere's amazingly musical extended family as the Orchestra.

1621271998181.png

That will probably be all I get for a few months.

Nothing else is on my mental list right now.

Top Bottom