• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva BasX A-100 Review (stereo amplifier)

RoyB

Forum Donor
The Aiyima A07 is a class D amplifier. Not in the same ball park as the BasX A100.......Not a bad amp for around $80 US but not a true audiophile type amplifier.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I provided warranty service for Sony for some years and the lowest model of receivers where infamous for blowing the power supply transformer. The transformer was priced at ~$160.00 and so repair was not economically feasible. I don't have experience with the newest entry level model of Sony receiver but I suggest going with a Yamaha R-S202 if at all possible.
That's exactly what happened to my STR-DH190.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
The Aiyima A07 is a class D amplifier. Not in the same ball park as the BasX A100.......Not a bad amp for around $80 US but not a true audiophile type amplifier.
The AIYIMA A07 has very similar performance to the Emotiva BasX A-100 in most metrics, with better channel balance and SINAD at 1/3rd the cost.

cyberzigot

Interesting. What constitutes an audiophile type amplifier? Surely it must not be "measures well" cause it got beaten in that department.

IowAudio

Forum Donor
Was gonna get a Emotiva A-300 but not after seeing that the A-100 and A-500 didn't measure very well as I doubt its any better. Granted these are the BasX line. Curious to know if their premium gear does better. Most likely gonna go with the VTV Stereo Amplifier based on Hypex NCore NC252MP. Its 250w x2 and $150 more but should perform much better.

kernelpanic

Wow, I agree that this is disappointing. I own this and use it at my desk and bought it because I thought Emo's class A/B would outperform all the little desktop class D amps. Also, the built-in headphone out is super convenient, although I do get a hiss on my IEM's. Were you able to measure the headphone on this @amirm ?

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Crap, I bought this one as 2nd hand more than a year ago, I had it in my main system but I was not impress, didnt sound better than my current 20W amp so I moved it up to my desk. I can not hear any noise from it on my headphones. But at very low volume level I can hear that the right channel is louder than the left one, as soon I crank up the volume a little bit more, both channels get levelled.

Now I can understand why I was not impress by its sound. :-(

Namesbuck

New member here... I'm a short time lurker as well. I really appreciate this forum and hope to continue learning about the engineering side of audio.

I purchased this amp not too long ago and my take away from this review is the Emo A-100 takes a few minutes to warm up but otherwise, produces power to spec and is generally transparent. It's not high end no doubt about that but in a comparable setup with speakers to match in an imperfect room, all things considered, source material will be the bottle neck and not this amp.

One day in the future, I hope to upgrade to a cheap class d that measures beautifully and actually puts out 50w into 8 ohms and is the size of a Topping e-30. Does that exist by the way?

Namesbuck

This? Aiyima A07. (I think all amps are a bit bigger than an E30)

Very impressive results for the Aiyima. I'm looking forward to see what else comes out using that chip. Perhaps the era of class d speaker amps is already here and buying a new class a/b speaker amp is like buying a gas powered volvo suv in 2021.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
since it outputs directly from the main amp circuit (with the jumper) or through a resistor ladder, yes

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning

He seems to like this Emotiva BasX that possible will measure like the a-100

Last edited:

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
For what it's worth, I have this in my system with an smsl m500 DAC and Kef Q150 speakers and think the sound is great. Not a ton to compare it too, but subjectively I have been very pleased. I extra speaker level line outs into my sub for those asking. Works fine.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Which one? The A2? If so, not the same form factor, and twice the price.

Honestly, I was just remembering the email from a week or two ago, and I have not been following them closely. I have a number of their Gen1 amplifiers but went elsewhere (Buckeye Amps) for my latest amp.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a spirited discussion now at Slickdeals on the BASX because of the 15% closeout discount. There is a lot of passion surrounding this amp. I get it. You get a big piece of nice looking retro steel, just as pretty inside as out with that big toroid. You get a couple of good stories, both the Emotiva story, and the secret jumper that unlocks headphone superpowers story. But there is a lot of mythology as well....and just wrong information.

My takeaway is that deal sites can be good for finding bargains if you are a careful shopper. But, they are not good resources for objective information about the products themselves.

Top Bottom