• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker designer Danny Richie (GR-Research) directly attacks ASR

Marmus

Now, I have heard some good reasons here why you do hear differences. Measurable? Freq? Z? Sometime clearly is L or C whether good or bad but can be heard. Like it? Depends. Just new thing so hear stuff? Sure. But hear it none the less. I have seen others totally unaware of changes make remarks. So yes you can hear it. Really would love to figure out that new/presence/L/C/oxidation - whatever change in timber/sound etc. Certainly rather than berate someone who is asking.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Now, I have heard some good reasons here why you do hear differences. Measurable? Freq? Z? Sometime clearly is L or C whether good or bad but can be heard. Like it? Depends. Just new thing so hear stuff? Sure. But hear it none the less. I have seen others totally unaware of changes make remarks. So yes you can hear it. Really would love to figure out that new/presence/L/C/oxidation - whatever change in timber/sound etc. Certainly rather than berate someone who is asking.
Psychoacoustics
Bias
Expectation
Confirmation Bias
Suggestion

I am not saying you absolutely did not hear a difference but look into these topics.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Psychoacoustics
Bias
Expectation
Confirmation Bias
Suggestion

I am not saying you absolutely did not hear a difference but look into these topics.

From another thread today...

3ADB4FA1-854B-4BB5-9C26-3389BA4872C3.jpeg

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Hey folks, I would just like to chime in here about the ensuing war as I have followed it on Danny's YT channel from the beginning and have made several posts directed to Danny, although I usually get no response and few likes as I tend to be really verbose and nobody seems to be willing to spend the time to read and think about the science or lack thereof of this subject. Coming off a 50-year career in A/V, RF/RADAR, computer systems/networks data, audio, and video performance engineering, and objective/subjective testing, and also being an avid audio engineering/audiophile, I am very interested in the subject of cabling, EMI/RFI, objective/subjective differences and correlations, among other issues.

So I have copied the last couple of posts to Danny's video that is being discussed here to a file that I attached below so that this post doesn't get ridiculously lengthy. I address the fact that Danny is not doing real science and why, and Amir also has shortcomings in terms of real science, although Amir gets a lot closer to doing real science. I welcome any feedback on these postings and look forward to discussing this issue further.

Stu Markley

Attachments

• Danny vs Amir on speaker cables.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 307

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Gentlemen! Please!
I'm reminded of an old adage: "Just because a dog barks at you doesn't mean that you need to bark back."

Jim

This barking back is exactly why there are no women in audiophile groups. Some Audiophile groups are like Nerd fighting rings. One nerd says something ignorant and a hundred other nerds jump in and start slamming the original ignorant nerd. I think we need an official nerd fighting sanctioning organization. WNFA pronounced Winfa. The World Nerd Fighting Association. I volunteer to be the President and represent the association at all the yearly get togethers Called (audiofests etc). I think $10 is the right amount for membership. Please leave me a private message if you want to join. See you in the ring!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What IS "real science"?

Digital_Thor

What IS "real science"?
One that evolves. Questioning and dogma should be handled with care... cause things take time - unless we have a lemming effect - like with smartphones and social media. And still we have a persistent part of the population that insist on not moving ... unless treated with their level of respect.
Jim Jefferies put it nicely:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wiki sez "teen science fiction comedy film"

I may pass on that.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nope. That's Weird Science.
A classic though "somewhat meh" 80's teen flick by the great John Hughes. Prolific creator of 80's wonderful classics like:

1990 Home Alone (written by)

1989 National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (written by)

1989 Uncle Buck (written by)

1988 The Great Outdoors (written by)

1988 She's Having a Baby (written by)

1987 Planes, Trains & Automobiles (written by)

1987 Some Kind of Wonderful (written by)

1986 Ferris Bueller's Day Off (written by)

1986 Pretty in Pink (written by)

1985 Weird Science (written by)

1985 National Lampoon's European Vacation (screenplay by) / (story by)

1985 The Breakfast Club (written by)

1984 Mr. Mom (TV Movie) (characters)

1984 Sixteen Candles (written by)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
A classic though "somewhat meh" 80's teen flick by the great John Hughes. Prolific creator of 80's wonderful classics like:

You know you're talking to a self-professed 80's nostalgia fanatic, right? :D :p ;)

I have watched a lot of documentaries about John Hughes. Gone too soon. :(

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Google says: "kelly lebrock weird science " Never watched the whole movie so didn't remember her.

I never made it through the whole movie either. Not many boys from my generation could....

Nearly wore out the jog function on the vcr with Basic Instinct too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

1990 Home Alone (written by)

1989 National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (written by)

1989 Uncle Buck (written by)

1988 The Great Outdoors (written by)

1988 She's Having a Baby (written by)

1987 Planes, Trains & Automobiles (written by)

1987 Some Kind of Wonderful (written by)

1986 Ferris Bueller's Day Off (written by)

1986 Pretty in Pink (written by)

1985 Weird Science (written by)

1985 National Lampoon's European Vacation (screenplay by) / (story by)

1985 The Breakfast Club (written by)

1984 Mr. Mom (TV Movie) (characters)

1984 Sixteen Candles (written by)
Pretty sure he directed lots if not most of those too.

Top Bottom