• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could I use a a budget bookshelf speaker as an Audio Monitor?

Trailblazin

Hi all,

I've been a budget audiophile for a while, my 2i2(Gen 1) and HD58x's have continued to server me well without breaking the bank.

However, I'm in need of a pair of speakers to monitor my audio and, unlike with my gaming and music preferences, I don't know what denotes a good reference monitor. Thus, I signed up to ASR to ask directly because this seems to require more than just data to understand properly.

How will my room affect the efficacy of my desired speakers, it's approx 12 x 8 sq.ft with 8ft height, and how do I need to account for things in my room? I feel like this is more important than the speakers I could choose, I've not done any treatment yet and, whilst my ears can't pick it up, I feel like I really need to do that. But at the same time, I've got a very small room, so what's a good option for it that doesn't leave me with acoustic foam stuck all over my bedroom?

I've looked at the Edifer R1280T's, they're well within my budget, and have both been referenced in sweetchao's google doc and reviewed here. Could I EQ these in some way to act as a suitable Audio Monitor? Do I need an interface upgrade due to my 2i2 due to a lack of outputs? If the Edifer's are unsuitable, why; what would be a better alternative to them (Kali LP6 are at the edge of my budget but I'm tentative to invest that much in-case I need another interface)?

What are some other considerations that I have neglected that are worth considering? Many thanks in advance for your opinions.

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I've been a budget audiophile for a while, my 2i2(Gen 1) and HD58x's have continued to server me well without breaking the bank.

However, I'm in need of a pair of speakers to monitor my audio and, unlike with my gaming and music preferences, I don't know what denotes a good reference monitor. Thus, I signed up to ASR to ask directly because this seems to require more than just data to understand properly.

How will my room affect the efficacy of my desired speakers, it's approx 12 x 8 sq.ft with 8ft height, and how do I need to account for things in my room? I feel like this is more important than the speakers I could choose, I've not done any treatment yet and, whilst my ears can't pick it up, I feel like I really need to do that. But at the same time, I've got a very small room, so what's a good option for it that doesn't leave me with acoustic foam stuck all over my bedroom?

I've looked at the Edifer R1280T's, they're well within my budget, and have both been referenced in sweetchao's google doc and reviewed here. Could I EQ these in some way to act as a suitable Audio Monitor? Do I need an interface upgrade due to my 2i2 due to a lack of outputs? If the Edifer's are unsuitable, why; what would be a better alternative to them (Kali LP6 are at the edge of my budget but I'm tentative to invest that much in-case I need another interface)?

What are some other considerations that I have neglected that are worth considering? Many thanks in advance for your opinions.
just a geek who went here not too long ago, IMO the interface is fine and most dacs/interface performance is mostly on the technical competing side now, output wise you can always use some cheap cable with suited termination to use (TRS->XLR/RCA). better to go for something flatter in the first place, Kali LP5/6, JBL 305P, Adam T5V, KRK rokit 5 G4 etc. instantly comes into my mind of being pretty flat within audible band. without room treatment I would say the Kali and KRK having some common internal preset EQ to tackle most nasty room modes like desk/wall gain and that should be better (using Genelec 8030C with only dip switches presets as suggested in a untreated room, smaller than yours and full of craps around as PC speaker, sounds and measured remarkably well in room than expected)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Hi all,

Welcome Aboard @Trailblazin.

BWard

KRK Rokit 5 G4 has a new EQ App that appears to work well and suits your needs. Get at Sweetwater or someplace similar that offers a good return policy. Try them out and if you like them, keep them. If you don't, return them.

OP
T

Trailblazin

Hi all, sorry about the delay; I'll reply to you all at once.

just a geek who went here not too long ago, IMO the interface is fine and most dacs/interface performance is mostly on the technical competing side now, output wise you can always use some cheap cable with suited termination to use (TRS->XLR/RCA). better to go for something flatter in the first place, Kali LP5/6, JBL 305P, Adam T5V, KRK rokit 5 G4 etc. instantly comes into my mind of being pretty flat within audible band. without room treatment I would say the Kali and KRK having some common internal preset EQ to tackle most nasty room modes like desk/wall gain and that should be better (using Genelec 8030C with only dip switches presets as suggested in a untreated room, smaller than yours and full of craps around as PC speaker, sounds and measured remarkably well in room than expected)

Ok, getting something flatter to start makes the most sense. Tho I've heard the Adam T5V in particular are fizzy, the others are all good choices but inflated considering I'm not in USA/CA, pairs of the aforementioned montiors are like £300 and not something I'm willing to drop right now; however, the internal EQ presets would help with my lack of room treatment. I did double check, a balanced TRS to XLR will let me use a monitoring pair without issue on my 2i2, thanks for that info!

Welcome.
What’s your budget for active speakers?
Around £150-200 max would be ideal, if I've got to bump it up any further I'll just need to wait a while and make do with my 58X's.

Thanks for the welcome!

BWard

Ok, getting something flatter to start makes the most sense. Tho I've heard the Adam T5V in particular are fizzy, the others are all good choices but inflated considering I'm not in USA/CA, pairs of the aforementioned montiors are like £300 and not something I'm willing to drop right now; however, the internal EQ presets would help with my lack of room treatment. I did double check, a balanced TRS to XLR will let me use a monitoring pair without issue on my 2i2, thanks for that info!

Around £150-200 max would be ideal, if I've got to bump it up any further I'll just need to wait a while and make do with my 58X's.

Thanks for the welcome!
Andertons in England has a pair of the KRK'S for about 280 pounds. You might be able to make a deal with them for less. If not, save up your money and also shop around, you may be able to get a better price. Good luck.

YSC

Major Contributor

Thanks for the welcome!
By fizzy you mean having hiss? Not sure but from memory it seems the jbl and Kali are usually called having some hiss more than Adam

YSC

Major Contributor
Can you wait until this weekend?

Erin is about to release spinorama data for 2 budget speakers that fall in your budget:
Mackie CR3-X
Presonus Eris E3.5

not sure about the E3.5, but Amirm's measurement of E5-XT don't seems good for presonus at least in the very budget offerings...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/presonus-e5-xt-active-speaker-review.13436/

Forgot to mention that the Fostex PM line might be ok choice also, price should be friendly as I have a long used pair of PM 0.4D which retired as my mother's PC multimedia speaker, which cost something like $1500 HKD back then which translate to less than USD$200

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fostex-pm-03-active-speaker-review.12517/

OP
T

Trailblazin

Can you wait until this weekend?

Erin is about to release spinorama data for 2 budget speakers that fall in your budget:
Mackie CR3-X
Presonus Eris E3.5

Yeah I can wait till the weekend, let's see what the data says; that'll be more informative than any anecdote. Although, I've heard that woofer size is an important factor for a monitor from other sources, will the small size of these monitors be detrimental?

By fizzy you mean having hiss? Not sure but from memory it seems the jbl and Kali are usually called having some hiss more than Adam
I've seen both fizz and hiss used but hiss probably makes more sense. I'll double check on this because I've not heard such complaints about the JBL or Kali's/

[QUOTE="Forgot to mention that the Fostex PM line might be ok choice also, price should be friendly as I have a long used pair of PM 0.4D which retired as my mother's PC multimedia speaker, which cost something like $1500 HKD back then which translate to less than USD$200

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fostex-pm-03-active-speaker-review.12517/[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at probably getting a second hand pair of Fostex PM1 MKII's, I've heard good things about them but the challenge is finding them.

Also, more general to the topic, are there any guides on arranging monitors in a given room space and accounting for large immovable objects such as wardrobes being close to the sound source?

Pennyless Audiophile

I am using the following chain for my studio

Source: laptop (Qobuz for music)

Usb Cable

My old Cambridge Dacmagic 100

Unbalanced signal cable

Topping MX3 bought new

Amazon basic speaker cable

My old Wharfedale Diamond 9.0

Works like a charm.

You can avoid the Dacmagic and use the Topping as a dac as well

OP
T

Trailblazin

Sweet, looked at these, it seems like they aren't so bad if I do my work with them and EQ properly. What's crazy is that I've heard nothing but bad things about the CR3-X by Mackie but data seems to discredit the anecdote, to an extent.

Nonetheless I'm wondering if my best bet is just to go used and look for known staples like the LP6/305p or the several Fostex offerings (PM1, 0.4,0.3).
Or, again, I simply wait and get the LP6 new.

Also sorry about that potential mislead, despite my interest in the Edifer R1280T's, my budget is not £100 and I can invest more, I was just curious if they were a hidden budget gem. Apparently, the spinorama data says otherwise.

Works like a charm.

I don't want to replace my 2i2 for a DAC and Amp stack, I've already got an interface that I want to make use of.
It doesn't make sense for me to build a new signal chain when I'm trying to get my moneys worth as is.

Nonetheless, it's a shame as I could get the Diamond 9.0's for <£100 but they aren't powered by mains and I don't have any information on them.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Nonetheless I'm wondering if my best bet is just to go used and look for known staples like the LP6/305p or the several Fostex offerings (PM1, 0.4,0.3).
These were reviewed, except the Fostex PM1, and Fostex 0.4.

1621024891055.png

1621024896609.png

1621024901075.png

Unless you're short on physical space, I wouldn't pick Fostex PM03, as it's a smaller woofer (3" driver), and has high distortion at higher playback.

IMO, the newly reviewed (by Erin) Presonus and Mackie aren't impressive enough to match JBL 305P MKII or Kali LP-6 in linearity (flat on-axis response)...but then again they're much cheaper, so...not a fair comparison.

JBL's and Kali's are a safer bet if your budget allows for it.

OP
T

Trailblazin

Unless you're short on physical space, I wouldn't pick Fostex PM03, as it's a smaller woofer (3" driver), and has high distortion at higher playback.

IMO, the newly reviewed (by Erin) Presonus and Mackie aren't impressive enough to match JBL 305P MKII or Kali LP-6 in linearity (flat on-axis response)...but then again they're much cheaper, so...not a fair comparison.

I'm short on space but not that short... I'd hope; lemme measure desk dimensions just to be safe.

It seems like the JBL's and Kali's have only minor differences so I'll be on the lookout for both used or even save a little then buy new from Thomann.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These were reviewed, except the Fostex PM1, and Fostex 0.4.

View attachment 129753

View attachment 129754

View attachment 129755

Note that the JBLs regularly go on 50-60% off sales. I purchased my 308p for $150 each, and I've seen them at that price many more times since then. 305p on sale may get you down to $100 each?.

Mal

I am using the following chain for my studio...

My old Cambridge Dacmagic 100

Topping MX3 bought new

Works like a charm.

How does Topping MX3 compare to DacMagic 100? I have Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 with Nobsound NS-01G Dac/amp as computer speaker system that doesn't "work as a charm" ... It's much better than my old computer speakers, but nowhere near my "couch system" - KEF LSXs. I suspect it's the Nobsound that is the main problem. Just added a Topping D10s DAC, and it greatly improved matters! Still room for improvement... I'm awaiting an Aiyima 07 amp...

If the Aiyima works, and the system reaches the same ball park as LSXs, or near, I might stop there... for a while. But any thoughts as what might be better than Wharfedale 9s? Note, I'm using them as computer speakers so don't want anything bigger (They're the same size as the LSXs, which would make great computer speakers, but having LSX as main and computer speakers is big $$$, and means no fun in comparing and contrasting budget solutions!...)

Top Bottom