• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 vs Musical Fidelity MX-DAC vs RME ADI-2 DAC FS and Other DACS in general.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, could not a difference in a unit's sound be related to the design and slope of its filters? Or is the belief that all filters sound the same?

The MX-DAC has two different filters when the input is DSD, an I can say that they sound quite different, no question about if it's audible or not.

Tw0t3n

Hello, could you please help me to decide? I am reading all the reviews more than week and still cannot decide what to buy. I want DAC/Amp for PC connection (sometimes connect mobile phone) with great details, resolution and sound stage for all types of music genres (universal), also sometimes gaming and for 250-300 ohms headphones (Senn, Beyer). Which one could be the best quality/price ? I am not convinced if the RME is worth for such price in terms of sound quality.

liu

I am not convinced if the RME is worth for such price in terms of sound quality.
RME is the only one among the devices mentioned in this title that works.
You will have a degraded performance compared to your computer/smartphone's internal dac's performance if you hook it up with certain option mentioned in this title.
If you spend hundreds dollars for a device, you want better, not worse performance than you already have, right?

Tw0t3n

RME is the only one among the devices mentioned in this title that works.
So for my purposes do you propose only the RME right? SU/SH-9 and similar combo cannot compete to RME in terms of pure sound quality?

liu

So for my purposes do you propose only the RME right? SU/SH-9 and similar combo cannot compete to RME in terms of pure sound quality?
SU-9 has a design flaw that makes it perform worse than your computer/cell phone headphone jack alone. (search the thread "strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic" to get the whole picture, especially today's message. )
SH-9 has a design flaw that limits its power before clipping.

Don't get the Pro version of the RME ADI-2. its extra features are useless for music listening and will overheat and break if you live in some place that has warmer summer than Germany. Get the DAC version is good enough and it will definitely last longer than the Pro.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Welcome Aboard @Tw0t3n.

nhs

As @liu said above because of the flaw in SU-9 I would wait until SMSL provides a fix for that. Somewhat between 75-80db SINAD in stereo is not acceptable this day.

Last edited:

Tw0t3n

I bought Focusrite clarett pre2 usb and I am maximally happy with the quality, power and features :)

freddianz

You will find my current setup(s) beneath each of my posts.

Wow you have my dream setup.
RME - KH750 - KH120 (albeit i'm using KH80 here)

Yet to buy the RME and KH750

Can you please let me know your thoughts and experience on them. Endgame territory?

Do you make usr of the PEQ in RME, or the EQ/DSP directly from Neumann app/MA1.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
...Endgame territory?

Do you make usr of the PEQ in RME, or the EQ/DSP directly from Neumann app/MA1.

It's my desktop setup. I have yet to calibrate with ma1, but do not feel any urge to do so. The KH750 brings phase correction which is a step forward and leaves little to be desired.

So when it comes to nearfield listening there's nothing I could wish for. I really enjoy this setup.

Top Bottom