• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual Merus MA12070 Amplifier Sabaj A20 fully balanced : pictures inside )

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

Just received the new Sabaj A20. This a brand new class D amp made with a dual Infineon Merus MA12070 and fully balanced.
This is my second amp based on this chip. I had already reviewed a fully symmetrical dual Mono MA12070 that I had built a few months ago.

The amp is made in an aluminum case, it feels sturdy and beefy. The front of the amp has a mirror front and the volume controller has a dual function (volume and selector). When you press a few seconds on it , it powers ON / OFF. The amps also comes with a remote control.
The design really looks like the SMSL AD18.

You have the possibility to adjust the bass / treble, the amp also has some presets, I'm not a fan of it, I left it in "direct" mode.

What we found inside :

- Dual Merus MA12070 chips
- OPA1678 op amps
- NJW1194 digital volume chip
- A great Meanwell SMPS PSU 300W
- RCA inputs
- XLR inputs
- Sub out
- Banana speakers

I listened to the amp with my favorite Audiophile Playlist for 1 hour yesterday, it is really impressive @ first listening. Seems promising in relation to its ration performance / price.

Since I own almost all TPA325X in the market and some Hypex Ncore and Purifi at home, I can tell you that it is pretty good even very good in comparison ... for the little that I have heard.

Should be nice to have the ASR review soon ) Fingers X.
In fact the amp is using exactly the same components as the SMSL DA 9. The design is just different.

I have no real idea of the veracity of the data relating to its real power ... but I can confirm one thing, it does not lack potency! If I set the volume to -03DB and stream from my LG V30 in LDAC, at 30% of the volume, I am largely covering my living room of around 35 / 40m2. This is an amp that is rather SQ oriented.

I will let ASR giving us a real feedback about the measurements.

I can tell you that next to my Ncore and a TPA3255 (top of the range, Jlester, DrMordor) it does not blush at all! It has a somewhat different sound signature. We find a little the soundstage of the TPA325X and that of the Ncore, it is a little different however but nothing to complain about, it is performing very well here. I find in the signature of the MA12070 chip a particular roundness in the mediums, the bass is quite muffled but very present. The highs are very similar to the Ncore. The amp is also absolutely dead silence between tracks, the meanwell PSU helps here.

My setup :

Gustard X16 DAC
Sabaj A20 (XLR > full balanced mode)
Other amps : Hypex Ncore / Purifi / TPA325X
High end floor 2.5 way speakers, Ribbon tweeter (handmade in France by the way)

Streamer : LG V30 via LDAC
Source : Audiophile Master Sound HD Playlist

I tried to open the case to take pictures of the module, the PCB etc .. but unfortunately it is complicated to dismantle ...

Videos :

https://streamable.com/6qvgtt

https://streamable.com/jk1ky8

Pictures :

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great! Can't wait for @amirm 's review! Especially to know if SNR at low wattage is as low as SMSL AD18, to know if I can finally ugrade ;-)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Great! Can't wait for @amirm 's review! Especially to know if SNR at low wattage is as low as SMSL AD18, to know if I can finally ugrade ;-)

I owned the SMSL AD18.... it's incomparable ... the AD18 is a nearby toy!
The Sabaj is much much more powerful and sounds far better ... no doubt about it!

milan616

Forum Donor
Really looking forward to seeing how this A20a compares/contrasts to the SMSL DA-9. Sisters like the SA300 and A10a (and Loxjie A30) are or a bit more difference in the design?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Really looking forward to seeing how this A20a compares/contrasts to the SMSL DA-9. Sisters like the SA300 and A10a (and Loxjie A30) are or a bit more difference in the design?

Both are made in the same factory If I am not wrong, I read a thread about this. They are using the same PSU, same PCB, only minor differences between the Sabaj A20 and the SMSL DA9

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
True, I checked the spec ) 150mv / 47k0

I've seen erroneous specs that make it all the way into final production and never corrected on many devices. I suspect that this 150mv is a mistake of some sort by either the publisher, or the company itself. I believe this is one such example. As I do technical translation of products in the Hi-Fi industry in Japan for firms looking to enter the English speaking markets myself, I can see how things get lost in translation, but not with specifications that have been measured. I suspect this is just a human error that wasn't caught. Hopefully they will correct it at some point but I won't hold my breath. I enjoy having colour in my cheeks!

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hummm I just read this somewhere else :

Input Sensitivity/Input Impedance: 250mV/47k0.....
I imagine there is an error...

I listened to the amp for 3 hours yesterday, this amp is really great! I usually listen with my Purifi and my Hypex Ncore and frankly, unless I have an extraordinary and subtle ear (yet I have been a musician for 15 years and a very good ear), I must admit that I took a slap in the face. listening to it yesterday. All the details are present when listening, on the Jazz register I am very sensitive to the drums "the subtleties with the brushes" are very well transcribed, the slipped strings get along wonderfully, the micro details get along very well too. This amp has character, it's a great discovery for me!

I am looking forward to get the Allo TPA3255 sample to compare ! there will be competition)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned the SMSL AD18.... it's incomparable ... the AD18 is a nearby toy!
The Sabaj is much much more powerful and sounds far better ... no doubt about it!
Yes but. Can you compare hiss in the speakers with both?
I have an Aiyama A07 but still use the AD18 for that reason.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

Toku

Major Contributor
Following the SA300 and DA-9, SMSL has released a new SA400. The details are still unknown, but the fun has increased. Photos have already been uploaded to Shenzhen Audio. From the design, it seems to be a model that is paired with the M400.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Following the SA300 and DA-9, SMSL has released a new SA400. The details are still unknown, but the fun has increased. Photos have already been uploaded to Shenzhen Audio. From the design, it seems to be a model that is paired with the M400.

I read it : https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...-njrc-njw1195-high-resolution-power-amplifier

It is to understand nothing there in fact ... Reading the specs, I have the impression to read the same thing as for the Sabaj A20 and they have exactly the same tag "high resolution amplifier". They use the same filters and the same volume controller and same remote control and same plugs.

The only difference I read is :

SMSL SA400 = 2x110W / 8R
Sabaj A20 = 2x50W / 8R
(And BT chip for the SMSL)

Now I will give you my opinion ... I am almost sure that the Sabaj A20 sends much more than 50W under 8R, I put it side by side with my Hypex NC252MP which delivers 2X 150W / 8R and the Sabaj does not blush at all.

Weird.... business to follow!

Toku

Major Contributor
I read it : https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...-njrc-njw1195-high-resolution-power-amplifier

It is to understand nothing there in fact ... Reading the specs, I have the impression to read the same thing as for the Sabaj A20 and they have exactly the same tag "high resolution amplifier". They use the same filters and the same volume controller and same remote control and same plugs.

The only difference I read is :

SMSL SA400 = 2x110W / 8R
Sabaj A20 = 2x50W / 8R
(And BT chip for the SMSL)

Now I will give you my opinion ... I am almost sure that the Sabaj A20 sends much more than 50W under 8R, I put it side by side with my Hypex NC252MP which delivers 2X 150W / 8R and the Sabaj does not blush at all.

Weird.... business to follow!
I read your A20a post immediately. The pictures of the internal structure are very helpful.
Right now I'm using the DA-9 and I'm feeling very comfortable with this performance and I was thinking of buying an additional A20a.
However, the SA400 has appeared there, and my feelings have been shaken.

When I looked into the SA400, it was a completely new type of Kura D amp, and the latest chip was adopted. It's a little expensive, but it's very interesting.
The amplifier chip STA516BE is STMicro's new class D high output amplifier chip.
AXIGN's AX5689 is a chip that digitally corrects various distortions and also controls PFFB.
The digital volume NJW1195 is a chip with higher precision than the conventional NJW1194.
Knowing these things made me want more and more.

Last edited:

TiborG

On Monday, Amazon.de should deliver the Sabaj A10a - 1 chip version with MA12070, I am curious or this chip will overcome mine
Fosi Audio TDA 7498E with which I am extremely satisfied. I was just fooled by the remote control, and the subwoofer output. It's a great combo with DX3 PRO or FiiOX5-3.
Thankfully, both sources have regulated LineOut, with these Chinese-made amplifiers it's the easiest way to avoid blowing glass out of windows.

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I read your A20a post immediately. The pictures of the internal structure are very helpful.
Right now I'm using the DA-9 and I'm feeling very comfortable with this performance and I was thinking of buying an additional A20a.
However, the SA400 has appeared there, and my feelings have been shaken.

When I looked into the SA400, it was a completely new type of Kura D amp, and the latest chip was adopted. It's a little expensive, but it's very interesting.
The amplifier chip STA516BE is STMicro's new class D high output amplifier chip.
AXIGN's AX5689 is a chip that digitally corrects various distortions and also controls PFFB.
The digital volume NJW1195 is a chip with higher precision than the conventional NJW1194.
Knowing these things made me want more and more.

hummmmm not sure it is using the STA516BE ! it is an old chip (T AMP), the one used in the "Gremlins" amps really known in Germany specially.
It has been compared vs the TPA3255, the chip is OK but not as good as the TPA3255...
You can find this chip @ Wondom and also @Boomaudio

Here the finished version of the amp (STA516BE ) :

https://www.boomaudio.de/gremlin-ii-verstaerker/endstufen-bausatz

and the module STA516BE here :

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/modu...ss-d-sta516be-2-x-500-watt-3-ohm-p-10198.html

there is a mistake somewhere.... check :

Last edited:
Top Bottom