• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question regarding room layout in new construction build (dedicated music room)

hifi72

Hi, this is my first post here after spending a few weeks reading through a lot of really informative posts. I am hoping maybe you guys can help me through the layout stage for the music/listening room in my new house. (Hopefully this is posted in the correct area as well.) If there are suggestions as well of changing certain components of my hifi setup, (ie speakers too large for room or wrong amp for speakers etc) I welcome that too. I want this to sound decent once we move in. Or at least be on the right track for the room. Mostly I listen to classic rock, some heavier stuff on occasion.

The room dimensions are rectangular 14' x 11' x 9' with double doors on the long wall. A built-in shelving unit tat runs the length of the right short (11'10) wall, and a largish window on the left short wall. A set of three smaller square windows (5ft up) opposite the entry on the other long wall. It will have a hardwood floor, with an area rug.

My current hifi gear in a very large room:

Focal Aria 926 speakers
Simaudio Moon 250i Neo integrated
Bluesound Node 2i
Rega P6
Paradigm Monitor Sub10 with PBK eq

MarsianC#

What are you seeking? Advice on how to treat your room? A sketch will help a lot.
Your stuff is ok I guess....

OP
H

hifi72

What are you seeking? Advice on how to treat your room? A sketch will help a lot.
Your stuff is ok I guess....
Yes, that and the concern that my towers may be to large for that area given what I have read on the Focal website, causing the need for a lot of bass treatment that I may not need (as much) for bookshelves etc. I am not sure if that even makes a difference, its been a while since I dealt with acoustics in smaller rooms. I'll get a bit of wall treatment to tame the highs for sure on first reflections, (drapes, and rug should help with that a bit I hope) but I'm thinking the built in unit behind will help with some diffusion as well.

I thought it wouldn't hurt to get a few opinions of things I may not be considering. Or verify that I'm going in the right direction.

Attachments

• music_room.jpg
    music_room.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 114
OP
H

hifi72

Always needed, always a compromise.

Layout is super tricky! Do you mind sitting with your back to the door?

I'm not opposed to that. I think to keep harmony in my household, I'll need to not have seating there permanently. Compromise comes in there as well.. My thoughts were to have a seat that would be moveable when I wanted to to relax and listen to music while in there. You are thinking more of a near field setup would be ok then on the long wall opposite the doors. That would likely prevent some nulls I may experience in a perpendicular setup, sitting mid room.

MarsianC#

You are thinking more of a near field setup
Exactly. The Focals might not be the best option for that use, but certainly usable. I guess 1,5 m / 5' and more are almost ok, I would go for something around 2 m / 6.6'.

In my experience it is best to move in and have listen. Invest some money into a Umik-1 and measure some options. After gaining some intell it is way easier to make a call.
h72_v1.png

Sitting in middle of the room is seldom if ever a good idea. The bookshelf is quite far away and will act as a good enough diffuser. Symmetry is tricky, at least in the upper mids and above two moveable gopos will help. Bass traps if possible as large as possible ;)
Ceiling should be treated too.
h72_v1_ar.png

Amray is a great tool to check for reflections. Eyeballed it :)

OP
H

hifi72

Exactly. The Focals might not be the best option for that use, but certainly usable. I guess 1,5 m / 5' and more are almost ok, I would go for something around 2 m / 6.6'.

In my experience it is best to move in and have listen. Invest some money into a Umik-1 and measure some options. After gaining some intell it is way easier to make a call.
View attachment 129184
Sitting in middle of the room is seldom if ever a good idea. The bookshelf is quite far away and will act as a good enough diffuser. Symmetry is tricky, at least in the upper mids and above two moveable gopos will help. Bass traps if possible as large as possible ;)
Ceiling should be treated too.View attachment 129185
Amray is a great tool to check for reflections. Eyeballed it :)

Wow, thanks. That really brings the reflections into perspective! I'll play with Amray, I appreciate the help. My spouse is not as enthusiastic about the corner bass traps as I, but maybe by the time we move in, things will change on that. ha

Top Bottom