• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

awatkins

I just asked support last month about the delivery date - I will probably have to wait for my DAC 8 Pro until the end of May (#254). So you probably have to expect 6 months delivery time from the order date...
So just to make sure I understand, when did you order yours?

awatkins

I placed my order on 10/02/2020. Be prepared to wait a while.
So that’s almost seven months. I wonder where in the company’s thinking lies the idea of increasing his production rate by the traditional means (hire more assemblers, etc). I would think with that large a backlog he could start buying components in larger quantities thus reducing cost and allowing money to be spent on parallel assembly. But of course cashflow matters. I can’t remember: is he “cashing our checks” at the time of order, or waiting until he ships?

al2002

I placed an order for a DAC 8 late in January. The order still shows as “Awaiting Processing”. Anyone know what this means and when payment is due?

Thanks in advance.

awatkins

I went back and checked on the email I received from Okto when I ordered mine in January: it says :
"Payment status
Paid
Fulfillment status
Awaiting Processing"

and my bank records show I did in fact transfer ~$1,000 as a part of the ordering process. My recollection is the only way to order was to pay at the time.

So my question back to you is, where do you go to see order status? I didn't see it anywhere on the OktoResearch site so what am I missing?

al2002

Interesting. I don’t recall getting an option to pay in the order window.

So you paid by bank transfer, not paypal?

The email I got from Okto had a link to click on to check order status

al2002

Glad to hear that awatkins.

Had another look at my order status page again. I don’t see an active link to make payment.

Just curious, did anyone else successfully place an order? If so, did they get a payment link when placing the order, or later?

awatkins

Possibly a crazy suggestion, but what if you were to go through the order process again, but stopping before the final action that results in a funds transfer? All I can remember is that choosing options, etc, flowed somewhat naturally into a request for money which I then executed. There may have been some way to exit without payment but if there were, I don't remember it.

Oh, and sorry I didn't answer your previous question: no it was not a paypal transaction, and my calling it a "'bank transfer" is misleading: I charged it to a credit card.

SimonSambuca

You guys worry way too much about a few days. If you can not live with the fact that you can wait 6 months, you should not even order.

I looked again at the communication - the receipt of money was confirmed on 25.11.2020 from Okto.

Sorry for the possibly bad English - I use the deepl.com translator.

al2002

SimonSambuca, You’ve misunderstood.

I only wanted to know whether payment was made when the order was placed or later. My questions had nothing to do with manufacturing delays.

SimonSambuca

I had already written that - paid on the day of the order by bank transfer and such a transfer takes a few days (2 - 5) because it is international.
I probably should have written it more detailed or simpler so that there would be no misunderstandings. ;)

In my opinion, it is important that you get a confirmation from Okto after paying.

al2002

In your post 251 you wrote "Bank transfer. So you should maybe add a few days ". Was not clear whether it was during checkout or later, hence the follow up question.

SimonSambuca

You can't make a bank transfer directly when you order - that always happens after the order - via online banking. Last year, as far as I know, there were only two payment options: Credit card or bank transfer.

For me as a German, it is difficult to think and write in English. That probably causes the communication problems.

Here in Germany, when you say "I ordered on day X and paid by bank transfer", you mean that you paid on the day of the order and not on the following day or even later.

If the payment is made later, then here in Germany the exact date is usually also mentioned.

I don't want to upset anyone - I just wanted to help.

al2002

SimonSambuca, no worries. Not upset at all. Understand the language issue. Appreciate your input. I've written to Okto customer service for clarification.

SegaCD

The Canare BCJ-XP-TRB transformers I purchased arrived yesterday. Unlike the Neutrik NADITBNC-M transformers I used previously these can be used directly in to the Okto's AES inputs with no AES cable. Performance with the nanoDIGI was improved compared to the Neutrik transformers but there was still the occasional pop when using all 8 channels.

It is interesting that previous firmware versions seemed to not have this problem. I am definitely out of my area of expertise but in Amir's original review of the DAC8 it looks like you could change the DPLL bandwidth, I wonder if the recent firmware updates default to a lower bandwidth that doesn't play nice with the nanoDIGI. Any thoughts @Okto Research , @fabriceo?

Michael

I know this is a bit old, but keep in mind that S/PDIF is a .5V nominal specification while AES3 is 4V. While in most cases the AES transceivers should accept such a low voltage, the losses in the cable, transformer, & Okto itself may be enough to cause the signal to voltage threshold to unreliably determine the logic state (which is why you may be seeing such big reliability differences between transformers and cables).

Consider an active converter like this one to boost the S/PDIF signal to the recommended AES3 levels: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CDL313--hosa-cdl-313
They're a bit cheaper on eBay...especially if you're stuck buying 4.
Place them as close to the S/PDIF/nanoDIGI side as possible to reduce losses on the low-voltage side.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Top Bottom